Connect a car speaker to a computer?!

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
You would need some kind of power source, like a stereo/receiver with wire outputs. And then you would need a cables connected like this Pc>receiver>speakers

Sorry i'm not an expert at this, just thought this might work

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
To clarify what lyssword said (with more info than you thought you needed):

The audio output from your computer's sound system is a "line level" signal suitable for driving your stereo or the powered speaker sets typically used in computer systems.

Speakers, themselves are passive mechanical devices (they are actually considered electrical motors) that convert the electrical signal into the mechanical air motion we perceive as sound. This requires considerably more power than is supplied by the line level signal.

The power amplifiers in your stereo or your powered computer speaker system output a copy of the line level signal with enough power to cause the mechanical speakers to reproduce the audio signal as sound waves.

Each complete acoustic device includes one or more actual speakers, such as your car stereo speakers, and the enclosure in which it is mounted, which is designed for shape and physical volume reproduce audio over a specified range of frequencies. They simply will not work as you hope without a properly designed enclosure.

Bottom line -- If you start with raw speakers, you will have to mount them in a properly designed enclosure. Once you have that, you will need power amplifiers, such as those in your stereo, or another external power amplifier.

A more complete answer gets deeper into technical issues, but until you get the basics I've listed, you'll be chasing your tail just trying to define your question. Once you understand it, the answers are in the specs from the manufacturers of the various components you need.

Good luck. :)

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
Just get a connector. You'd need a small stereo phone jack (like the one on walkman headphones) into two RCA jacks. These are typically used for connecting walkthings/MP3 players to recievers or amplifiers. Now plug into computer and then home reciever input, aux, and you've done it. You could also plug this into a car amplifier if you wanted to play your laptop in your car.

FirstAssembliesofGod

Oct 8, 2006
Originally posted by: Harvey
To clarify what lyssword said (with more info than you thought you needed):

The audio output from your computer's sound system is a "line level" signal suitable for driving your stereo or the powered speaker sets typically used in computer systems.

Speakers, themselves are passive mechanical devices (they are actually considered electrical motors) that convert the electrical signal into the mechanical air motion we perceive as sound. This requires considerably more power than is supplied by the line level signal.

The power amplifiers in your stereo or your powered computer speaker system output a copy of the line level signal with enough power to cause the mechanical speakers to reproduce the audio signal as sound waves.

Each complete acoustic device includes one or more actual speakers, such as your car stereo speakers, and the enclosure in which it is mounted, which is designed for shape and physical volume reproduce audio over a specified range of frequencies. They simply will not work as you hope without a properly designed enclosure.

Bottom line -- If you start with raw speakers, you will have to mount them in a properly designed enclosure. Once you have that, you will need power amplifiers, such as those in your stereo, or another external power amplifier.

A more complete answer gets deeper into technical issues, but until you get the basics I've listed, you'll be chasing your tail just trying to define your question. Once you understand it, the answers are in the specs from the manufacturers of the various components you need.

Good luck. :)
Thank you, very good.
how do i go about building the speaker-box? Is there any way to make them self-amplified like a computer speaker, can i build an amp/reciver like i can a computer? or should i go to Wal-Mart and get a cheepey sound-system that'll out-put to my speakers and take input from my sound-card?

bedroom computer, my reciver is in the living room.