Congresswoman McMorris on the Patriot Act

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
I was looking on the web site of my congresswoman, Cathy McMorris. She just voted to reauthorize the Patriot Act which in my opinion is stupidity of a high level. While gathering info to write a note to her I checked out her press release on the vote.

McMorris press release on Patriot Act.

Notice the first sentence:

(Washington, DC) -- Congresswoman Cathy McMorris (WA-05) today supported the passage of the USA Patriot Act and Terrorism Prevention Reauthorization Act of 2005 Conference Report. The legislation will help protect our country against the war on terror and the war on drugs.

If only the Patriot Act would protect our country AGAINST the "war" on terror and the "war" on drugs!

Maybe McMorris would consider an amendment to protect us against the Admin as well.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
I think it's correct. Don't they want to use it against border crossing and stuff, maybe catch drug runners?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
heh heh. Funny.

Kinda reminds me of that one Bushism:

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
War on Drugs? Yeah, that's why Afghanistan is still producing most of the world's opium.

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
Hell, poppy production is WAYYY up under Bush. They're probably getting kick-backs. No, it would not surprise me in the least. Yes, I'm serious.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: arsbanned
Hell, poppy production is WAYYY up under Bush. They're probably getting kick-backs. No, it would not surprise me in the least. Yes, I'm serious.

Since he's been in office he has now secured what the 2nd biggest oil reserve and 1/3 of the worlds opium? I think he might go for some diamond mines next.

NJDevil

Jun 10, 2002
Originally posted by: azazyel
Originally posted by: arsbanned

Since he's been in office he has now secured what the 2nd biggest oil reserve and 1/3 of the worlds opium? I think he might go for some diamond mines next.

South Africa's supreme court just recently allowed gay marriage ... ;)

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: azazyel
War on Drugs? Yeah, that's why Afghanistan is still producing most of the world's opium.

Actually the Taliban had pretty much stopped poppy growing in Afghanistan. Then the US invasion and subsequent instability brought the farmers right back in to the opium fold.

Not that the Taliban didn't have other problems, but in terms of limiting opium production, they certainly were very successful.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: ntdz
I don't see any slip up on the press release....?

To help some people out..."The legislation will help protect our country against the war on terror and the war on drugs." The Patriot Act is going to protect us from the war on terror? About damn time! :p

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
It can be taken two ways.

1. (funny way) She says the patriot act will help stop the war on terror, when really the patriot act enables the war on terror.
2. (way she meant it) She says the patriot act will help protect people from terrorism (ie, the backwash of the war on terror).

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Patriot Act is not going anywhere in our lifetime. Your privacy and civil liberties are damned!

Status
Not open for further replies.