"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale and undermine the military should be..hanged."

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
The exact quote is as follows:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"

who said it?

maybe:
Ann Coulter?
Dick Cheney?
GWB?
Rumsfeld?
or how about
Abraham Lincoln?
George Washington?
Franklin Roosevelt?
Harry Truman?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
who cares, to equate "wartime" with the WoT is pretty assinine to begin with.

markuskidd

Sep 2, 2002
Am I the only one who think these quote games are getting stupid? Regardless of whether this quote is in or out of context, I'd much rather see a paragraph or two -- maybe even based around a quote -- that makes a point, that gives some context, or possibly offers some commentary on the relevance of the quote than these endless pithy posts that both sides seem to enjoy making. Does this improve the quality of discussion here? I don't think so. I think it's PURELY jabs at each other rather than moving forward in any way.

markuskidd

Sep 2, 2002
Because he doesn't have an easy way to get ahold of them? They probably know this already though. Where are you going with that, charrison?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: SViscusi
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: SViscusi
Lincoln

And it's a good thing we're not at war.

Why dont you tell that to our troops.

Why? I'd rather just look at the constitution.

This operation had congressional approval. So I am not sure what you mean by this comment.

markuskidd

Sep 2, 2002
Lots of things have congressional approval. Doesn't mean that it's a war....

edit: as far as the constitution is concerned

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I'll go along with this as long as the President who gets us involved in a war by deceit or idiocy (you pick, like Bush gets hanged first.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Lincoln of course. The first unamerican president to trash the consititution by rounding up over 10,000 so-called "southern sympathisers" who were actually northern reporters hesitant twards the war and saw it for what it was ...a land, money, business capital carpetbagging like all wars are. Not to mention his affinity for doing away with the 10th amendment and states rights.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
the quote is attributed to Abraham Lincoln.
one linky of many

my reason for mentioning the quote is to raise the point that while many liberals feel righteous and moral indignation
about actions the Bush administration has taken in Iraq (as is endlessly pointed out in this forum), there is the point of view that many conservatives hold, that statements and actions by many liberal congressmen provide encouragement, and comfort to our enemies, and endanger our troops. Particularly objectionable is are the duplicitous statements of several democrat presidential candidates that voted for the resolution granting Pres. Bush authority to invade Iraq, but then stating they didn't support the war, in an effort to curry political favor.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
one linky of many

my reason for mentioning the quote is to raise the point that while many liberals feel righteous and moral indignation
about actions the Bush administration has taken in Iraq (as is endlessly pointed out in this forum), there is the point of view that many conservatives hold, that statements and actions by many liberal congressmen provide encouragement, and comfort to our enemies, and endanger our troops. Particularly objectionable is are the duplicitous statements of several democrat presidential candidates that voted for the resolution granting Pres. Bush authority to invade Iraq, but then stating they didn't support the war, in an effort to curry political favor.

I understand this viewpoint but it's childish. Sure you can have a no quit, never say die attitude in a wrestling match or any other one on one event but when it comes to war, where escalation and mounting death tolls can happen I think it's foolish man who does'nt re-appraise the situation based on events at each time and worse could lead to armageddon in the case of veitnam spilling into China or even the USSR. Theres always a risk/reward in any war and when the risks surpass the potential reward a sane person stops. The really smart guys don't go to war in the first place unless attacked....Gives you a little more political will.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
one linky of many

The danger to our troops comes at the hand of Bush. If Congress exercises its RIGHT to comment for or against this, then people can cry me a river if they don't like it.

Conservative view? Facist totalitarian viewpoint. Perhaps they are the same these days.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
one linky of many

The danger to our troops comes at the hand of Bush. If Congress exercises its RIGHT to comment for or against this, then people can cry me a river if they don't like it.

Conservative view? Facist totalitarian viewpoint. Perhaps they are the same these days.

Yep, since Saddam is no longer an active player and can be blamed for the war in Iraq the Iraqi people are now suffering under the hand of Bush. The mukawama, the resistance, is not pro-Saddam but anti-US. Bush is even employing Saddam's old Mukhbarat henchmen, officers from Saddam's Republican Guard divisions and Saddam's policemen and assorted hooded gunmen. "Rah el sani, ija el ussta" ? "gone is the apprentice [Saddam], in comes the master [US].?