Congressman returning from Iraq says the media is costing us lives

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: rchiu
First of all, who is killing our troops? I think we can all agree it's Saddam loyalist or Al-Qaeda.

Ok, so do those peole even read American media or give a $hit what American media says? If American media reports rosy stories about Iraq, while making American feel good about ourselves, does it make Saddam loyalist or Al-Qaeda less likely to kill our troop?

This is just another pathetic attemp of shifting blame from the Administration and people who supported this war in the first place to someboday, anybody. The admin and those senators/congressman, yes democrates too, are the ones costing lives by starting this war.

Are you 12?

What, cann't face the fact that you and your warmongering admin are responsible for all the death and destruction? and you want to shut the media up so that no one sees what an ugly mess you have caused?

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
The media is costing us lives? OMG, are you actually serious? How would they ever do that? Did Geraldo whip out a .45 and cap someone's ass? :Q

Are you daft? The media is fueling anti-American sentiment in Iraq, quite like the Vietnam one that got alot of our boys killed, thanks media and hollywood.

LOL... we lost in Vietnam because of Hollywood.

Dang Jews in the left-wing media

Dec 27, 2001
First of all, who is killing our troops? I think we can all agree it's Saddam loyalist or Al-Qaeda.

Ok, so do those peole even read American media or give a $hit what American media says? If American media reports rosy stories about Iraq, while making American feel good about ourselves, does it make Saddam loyalist or Al-Qaeda less likely to kill our troop?

This is just another pathetic attemp of shifting blame from the Administration and people who supported this war in the first place to someboday, anybody. The admin and those senators/congressman, yes democrates too, are the ones costing lives by starting this war.

Are you 12?

What, cann't face the fact that you and your warmongering admin are responsible for all the death and destruction? and you want to shut the media up so that no one sees what an ugly mess you have caused?

You're the third or fourth illiterate liberal to think I suggested we not report the bad news.

Again I ask for a simple yes or no response. Is it unreasonable to ask the media to report the good along with the bad?
Please check here:
[] Yes
[] No

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Are you 12?

You're the third or fourth illiterate liberal to think I suggested we not report the bad news.

Again I ask for a simple yes or no response. Is it unreasonable to ask the media to report the good along with the bad?
Please check here:
[] Yes
[] No
Hey everytime they capture a High Ranking Baath party member it's reported. Sure they could report about Soccer Games between the Brits and the Locals but for the most part that is in the back page because nobody really gives a sh!t.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
The media is costing us lives? OMG, are you actually serious? How would they ever do that? Did Geraldo whip out a .45 and cap someone's ass? :Q

Don't be stupid. For once.

People fight guerilla wars and employ terrorism not because it is a tactically sound way of defeating an enemy, but because the fight drags on and there are consistent casualties. This wears on the public who tire easily and are inclined to just give up rather than hear any more about it. The phrase is "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." In this case, the democratic party is the friend of the Islamic terrorists as they help portray the war as an illegal occupation that's on the verge of failing. Hearing such blather coming from Americans I'm sure gives terrorists reason to believe their plan is gradually working which encourages them not to stop. And WHY is the democratic party doing this? So they can try to take control of the White House...never has there been a more noble cause...bastards.
rolleye.gif

Don't be a condescending prick, for once. The Saddam loyalists and array of terrorists who have entered Iraq since our invasion, would fight a guerilla war regardless of what our media is doing. What? You want the media to censor itself? You don't want them reporting the facts? Damned if we're getting any actual facts from the administration. Americans rely on the media to let us know what's going on over there. No, I'm sorry, this is just another pathetic attempt by the war mongers to make us all fall in line.

In order to determine who's responsible for those kids coming back in body bags, you'd need to ask the administration, who simply nod their heads real slow and say "...making good progress..." like good little parrots. Blow it out your ass, hero.

This argument is about reporting the good AND the bad. Never once in this thread have I said we should censor the bad...stop posting replies to replies in your head...also known as the strawman fallacy of argumentation...or delirium.

I didn't say you did, I simply asked. No fallacy in asking, is there? Frankly though hero, requiring (or even expecting) the media to report what you want them to report is censorship. There's a lot of bad news coming out of Iraq lately. There's good news too, I see it in the media all the time. But if you want a rosy glow spin on the Iraqi situation, just listen to any administration briefing. The way I see it, the media balances out the government, whose sole job is to spin the positive and show what a "great" job we're doing in Iraq.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: calbear2000

Are you daft? The media is fueling anti-American sentiment in Iraq, quite like the Vietnam one that got alot of our boys killed, thanks media and hollywood.

I had forgotten about all the love thy troops rallies that were occuring in Hollywood around this time

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002

Please check here:
[] Yes
[] No

BS, don't change your tune because you can't support your own argument. By arguing for the "media is costing us lives" crap, you are saying somehow media report is related to how many of our guys are killed in Iraq and the media is responsibile for the death overthere (as well as Vietnamn) If you truely surpport the statement, tell me if this make sense. You are asking for the media to report the good along with the bad. But the bad causes lives. So as long as media report the good too, it's ok to cause a few lives here and there?

villager

Oct 17, 2002
What an idiot. So he believes that the Iraqis are reading the New York Times and Washington Post? The vast majority of them speak Arabic and they have their own press and TV stations, most of which are dead against us. But jest a question for those who agree with this story. If the electricity in your city went out a few hours, what will be the lead story in all your newspapers and TV?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I wonder if the Arab Media reports ALL of the good things we are doing in our new military base (Iraq)?

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: calbear2000

I had forgotten about all the love thy troops rallies that were occuring in Hollywood around this time

Yep those anti-war rallies were essential in getting our soldiers killed in Vietnam. Every demonstrator has blood on their hands!

You've got to be kidding me...

Dec 27, 2001

Don't be stupid. For once.

People fight guerilla wars and employ terrorism not because it is a tactically sound way of defeating an enemy, but because the fight drags on and there are consistent casualties. This wears on the public who tire easily and are inclined to just give up rather than hear any more about it. The phrase is "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." In this case, the democratic party is the friend of the Islamic terrorists as they help portray the war as an illegal occupation that's on the verge of failing. Hearing such blather coming from Americans I'm sure gives terrorists reason to believe their plan is gradually working which encourages them not to stop. And WHY is the democratic party doing this? So they can try to take control of the White House...never has there been a more noble cause...bastards.
rolleye.gif

Don't be a condescending prick, for once. The Saddam loyalists and array of terrorists who have entered Iraq since our invasion, would fight a guerilla war regardless of what our media is doing. What? You want the media to censor itself? You don't want them reporting the facts? Damned if we're getting any actual facts from the administration. Americans rely on the media to let us know what's going on over there. No, I'm sorry, this is just another pathetic attempt by the war mongers to make us all fall in line.

In order to determine who's responsible for those kids coming back in body bags, you'd need to ask the administration, who simply nod their heads real slow and say "...making good progress..." like good little parrots. Blow it out your ass, hero.

This argument is about reporting the good AND the bad. Never once in this thread have I said we should censor the bad...stop posting replies to replies in your head...also known as the strawman fallacy of argumentation...or delirium.

I didn't say you did, I simply asked. No fallacy in asking, is there? Frankly though hero, requiring (or even expecting) the media to report what you want them to report is censorship. There's a lot of bad news coming out of Iraq lately. There's good news too, I see it in the media all the time. But if you want a rosy glow spin on the Iraqi situation, just listen to any administration briefing. The way I see it, the media balances out the government, whose sole job is to spin the positive and show what a "great" job we're doing in Iraq.

If the way you see it it's balanced, then I think we can unequivically call it unbalanced. The way I see it, we have a good balance of Republicans in the Federal legislature...let's leave it as it is...k?

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
The falsely bleak picture weakens our national resolve, discourages Iraqi cooperation and emboldens our enemy.

The distinguished gentleman from Georgia almost had it but not quite. Does the bleak picture coming from Iraq weaken our national resolve? It certainly does. Would a reporting of "good" things strengthen our will. Probably. Why do you think people on both sides of the issue "spin"? The media helps form public opinion, which in turn, drives public policy. Now, unless you are willing to say that the media is puposely ignoring one side of the issue or the other, this is a classic case of shooting the messenger. The media didn't create the news, they're only reporting it. If there is more good news to report, then Bremer's press sec. needs to do a better job of getting it out.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I agree for the most part. But clearly our prelude to war was driven my the administration "managing" the media to create the impression that Iraq was directly linked to 9/11 and certainly future attacks on America akin to 9/11. Public policy clearly drove public opinion as opposition to an Iraq invasion morphed into resignation that invasion was inevitable so we might as well just get it over with. Naturally an overwelming majority of Americans supported the invasion once troops were on the ground which embolden the administration to threaten Syria and Iran just a few months ago.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Our presence in Iraq, as absurd as it is, is a fact. Bush screwed the US when he punched the Tar Baby and now we're stuck. Some want to rub Bush"s nose in it and some want to extract him excrement free. Either approach, in my opinion is a disservice, in my opinion. We will have to leave Iraq if it is a quagmire regardless of the waste, and we will have to stay and try to create a real future there for the Iraqi people if it's possible and within reach. That being the case, in my opinion then, what we need is not good news or bad news, but a holistically accurate picture of what is actually going on so that we will be able to do the best job possible of creating the latter option, but get out fast if it proves impractical. We need real information that paints the real case. The fact that the war and Bush Admin was and are a disaster and our obligation to see through the consequences we inherited as a result of those disasters as best we can are two different and distinct things.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003

Wait... wait... you're saying the media AND Hollywood costs us 300,000 lives in vietnam? Not the vietnamese soldiers that were shooting at our men?

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Please check here:
[] Yes
[] No

BS, don't change your tune because you can't support your own argument. By arguing for the "media is costing us lives" crap, you are saying somehow media report is related to how many of our guys are killed in Iraq and the media is responsibile for the death overthere (as well as Vietnamn) If you truely surpport the statement, tell me if this make sense. You are asking for the media to report the good along with the bad. But the bad causes lives. So as long as media report the good too, it's ok to cause a few lives here and there?

The BS is spewing from your fingertips, not his. It is far from BS to say that the media contributed to the failure in Vietnam when the communists helped organize the "home grown" anti-war effort. Read here, about midway down under "What Went Wrong?" regarding the memoirs of a communist propaganda officer from the North.

I will make this simple for you since that's obviously on your level. If the media were to report the entire story with adequate weight given to good and bad, it would be apparent that our occupation and reconstruction efforts are being welcomed in Iraq by a vast majority of the people there, and it would discourage foreign fighters from intervening with the assumption that the population will support their attacks on the Coalition forces. Further, the revelation, to those who rely on the biased media at least, that the reconstruction is going well would likely change some people's opinions in the U.S. and reduce the amount of criticism being leveled at the White House and the Pentagon and would give our troops on the ground a better overall picture of what is happening since most are confined to particular areas and don't have the "big picture".

Sorry, I used some big words in there -- muddle through as best you can.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: AndrewR
I will make this simple for you since that's obviously on your level. If the media were to report the entire story with adequate weight given to good and bad, it would be apparent that our occupation and reconstruction efforts are being welcomed in Iraq by a vast majority of the people there, [ ... ]
Really? Did you base this on your personal conversations with the majority of Iraqis or did Rush whisper in your ear? Or maybe you just pulled it out of your 4ss because it's what you want to believe.

Face it, this is your personal opinion only. It is based on nothing but your interpretation of what you choose to read and watch and believe. You may be right. You may also be delusional. Your opinion is no better than anyone else's.

[ ... ] and it would discourage foreign fighters from intervening with the assumption that the population will support their attacks on the Coalition forces. Further, the revelation, to those who rely on the biased media at least, that the reconstruction is going well would likely change some people's opinions in the U.S. and reduce the amount of criticism being leveled at the White House and the Pentagon and would give our troops on the ground a better overall picture of what is happening since most are confined to particular areas and don't have the "big picture".
Heaven forbid we should be deceived by ignoramuses spouting nonsense. Thank God we have you sitting back here on your couch to give us all the "big picture".
rolleye.gif

Sorry, I used some big words in there -- muddle through as best you can.
How about pompous twit? Are those words too big for you?

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Thank God we have you sitting back here on your couch to give us all the "big picture".

Just so you know AndrewR is an active duty Air Force officer and I would say his location and the job he is doing gives him a view of the "bigger picture" that is infinitely bigger than yours.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
boo hoo ... we force freedom & democracy down a country's throat with an aircraft carrier & guns, yet bush's regime wants to put a gag-order/blackout on the press

that sure makes sense lol

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
boo hoo ... we force freedom & democracy down a country's throat with an aircraft carrier & guns, yet bush's regime wants to put a gag-order/blackout on the press

that sure makes sense lol

Would someone please tell stupid that the Op/Ed piece was written by a Demotarded Rep. from GA and has nothing to do with the Bush administration.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
would someone tell that personal flame attacker UQ that it doesn't matter what party affiliation one is from and that certain news channels/communications (al jazzera and one other) were blacked out of iraq for 2 weeks because of some of the reporting they've been doing.

it all goes back to that friggin' bush's regime one way or another, whether it's media or a certain person with connections to it

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Why is it so difficult to comprehend that shoehorning the news into the mold of pro admin news or anti admin news is destructive of the truth which is really what we need to further the real best interests of our country. If Iraq was a mistake that will lead to disaster get the hell out and if it was a mistake that must now be handled and fixed and can be than go for it. We need real information on that issue not covering or exposing ass. Get real.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
We need real information on that issue not covering or exposing ass.

I completely agree with that sentence. Somehow I think you and I interpret it a different way though;)

philly - yes, we know you blame Bush for everything.

CkG