Congressman returning from Iraq says the media is costing us lives

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Why doesn't the news media ever have any good reports from Iraq? Especially the "fair and balanced" faux news? All I ever hear is dead soldier dead soldier car bomb. I want to hear soldiers saying "I want to be doing this" and "we're helping people." I want to see proof we're helping people. I guess that's too much to ask in this case.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
The media is costing us lives? OMG, are you actually serious? How would they ever do that? Did Geraldo whip out a .45 and cap someone's ass? :Q

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Our enemies are not emboldened by American Media... They will continue to try to kill as many Americans as they can wherever they see the opportunity.

If I was an al-Qaeda member I would hop in my landcrusier and jihad all over Americans in Iraq no matter what the freaking American Press has to say about it. The Americans are now on Middle Eastern Soil and very vulnerable.... isn't that when terrorists are supposed to attack???

Did he happen to ask the soldiers if they appreciate being FORCED to stay far longer than they should and that they are not getting Hazard pay and how they feel about the crummy living conditions there in Hell (otherwise known as Iraq)???

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
lol thats a new one THE MEDIA IS KILLING OUR SOLDIERS, EVEN A DEMOCRAT SAID SO!

"It's Mike Wallace! Run!" ;)

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
The media is costing us lives? OMG, are you actually serious? How would they ever do that? Did Geraldo whip out a .45 and cap someone's ass? :Q

Are you daft? The media is fueling anti-American sentiment in Iraq, quite like the Vietnam one that got alot of our boys killed, thanks media and hollywood.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Nitemare

Are you daft? The media is fueling anti-American sentiment in Iraq, quiet like the Vietnam one that got alot of our boys killed, thanks media and hollywood.

damnit its not that, its all those damn video games!!

Dec 27, 2001

Don't be stupid. For once.

People fight guerilla wars and employ terrorism not because it is a tactically sound way of defeating an enemy, but because the fight drags on and there are consistent casualties. This wears on the public who tire easily and are inclined to just give up rather than hear any more about it. The phrase is "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." In this case, the democratic party is the friend of the Islamic terrorists as they help portray the war as an illegal occupation that's on the verge of failing. Hearing such blather coming from Americans I'm sure gives terrorists reason to believe their plan is gradually working which encourages them not to stop. And WHY is the democratic party doing this? So they can try to take control of the White House...never has there been a more noble cause...bastards.
rolleye.gif

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

People fight guerilla wars and employ terrorism not because it is a tactically sound way of defeating an enemy, but because the fight drags on and there are consistent casualties. This wears on the public who tire easily and are inclined to just give up rather than hear any more about it. The phrase is "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." In this case, the democratic party is the friend of the Islamic terrorists as they help portray the war as an illegal occupation that's on the verge of failing. Hearing such blather coming from Americans I'm sure gives terrorists reason to believe their plan is gradually working which encourages them not to stop. And WHY is the democratic party doing this? So they can try to take control of the White House...never has there been a more noble cause...bastards.
rolleye.gif
What an Idiot. Blame the Democratic party on this administrations failure to implement a sound plan for the occupation of Iraq and then have the chutzpah to wrap yourself in the American flag and label them enemies of the state.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

rolleye.gif
What an Idiot. Blame the Democratic party on this administrations failure to implement a sound plan for the occupation of Iraq and then have the chutzpah to wrap yourself in the American flag and label them enemies of the state.

You have no freakin' clue if the administration has a sound plan. Last I heard, you weren't in on the meetings at the pentagon...but maybe that's changed and you can tell us the specific failings of their plan that make it unsound.

The point of this article is that people like you get that impression because the media isn't reporting the good going on over there.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
The media is fueling anti-American sentiment in Iraq, quite like the Vietnam one that got alot of our boys killed, thanks media and hollywood.

That's total BS. The State Department has already spent $1B in the past year to promote the US abroad. The dramatic change in world public opinion of the US correlates far better with the Bush administration. And let me be clear it's Bush 43. Despite being associated with some of Reagan's BS, GHWBush (and our country) was well respected throughout the world. GWB had very little public standing internationally but I guarantee you the US remained a beacon of opportunity and virtues in early 2001. It is the 30mo of Bush Doctrine (PNAC) poo that has despoiled our nation's international reputation.

The media did not draw attacks to Beirut, Khobar Towers, embassies in Africa, WTC, the UN op in Baghdad, Jordan's embassy in Baghdad, Paddys or the Sari Club (Bali). The groups responsible for these attacks have agendas and grievances that operate wholly outside of access to US/Western media.

When US troops break down doors b/c they lack the cultural and language skills to communicate with the people . . . that stokes anti-American sentiment. Bremer is on Iraqi TV on a regular basis talking about how much better life is becoming every day. Unfortunately, many of those people still have unreliable power, unreliable water, no employment, and poor security. The disconnect between the perceptions of the people and the proclamations of the leadership stokes anti-American sentiments.

The blame for fatalities in Vietnam lie squarely with the civilian leadership that commited the US to war. I doubt McNamara ever claimed we lost Vietnam b/c of Walter Cronkite.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

rolleye.gif

You have no freakin' clue if the administration has a sound plan. Last I heard, you weren't in on the meetings at the pentagon...but maybe that's changed and you can tell us the specific failings of their plan that make it unsound.

The point of this article is that people like you get that impression because the media isn't reporting the good going on over there.
Hey I'm still waiting for them to justify being over there in the first place. Where are the WMD's that Bush spoke of to gain my and many of Americans support for the invasion of Iraq?

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Yeah, the media should stop reporting on it, because by reporting on it they are sending subliminal message which cause other people to subconsciously kill more people. Just like in Turkey where they massacred Kurds in the 90's- oh wait no, the media never reported that. Yea it's like how the millions died in Congo recently from the civil war when the media- hmm nope they didn't really cover that either. Well what I'm trying to say is we should just be hearing stories of kids hugging teddy bears, J-Lo and Ben affleck's love life and how breast milk contains flame retardent chemicals. The world would be a better place.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Yep, people need to be kept as ignorant as possible. They should know only what the government wants them to know - that everything is peachy.

I think independent media should be banned and a Department of Information setup to tell poeple how many books Laura Bush read to how many kids, how much money O'Reilly gave to poor kids and what a great American Hero Elite Force Aviator Bush is.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
"the harm done by our media....is killing our troops"

U.S. Rep. Jim Marshall (D-Ga.)
Vietnam combat veteran
member of the House Armed Services Committee
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: 9/22/03

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
First of all, who is killing our troops? I think we can all agree it's Saddam loyalist or Al-Qaeda.

Ok, so do those peole even read American media or give a $hit what American media says? If American media reports rosy stories about Iraq, while making American feel good about ourselves, does it make Saddam loyalist or Al-Qaeda less likely to kill our troop?

This is just another pathetic attemp of shifting blame from the Administration and people who supported this war in the first place to someboday, anybody. The admin and those senators/congressman, yes democrates too, are the ones costing lives by starting this war.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
[/quote]

yeah, representatives are prone to say stupid things that sound good to stupid people so that they get their name in the paper. Reps have a lower profile than senators, so they pander. McCaine, however, has a huge profile, and likes to tell the truth.
My senator trumps your representative.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

rolleye.gif

Don't be a condescending prick, for once. The Saddam loyalists and array of terrorists who have entered Iraq since our invasion, would fight a guerilla war regardless of what our media is doing. What? You want the media to censor itself? You don't want them reporting the facts? Damned if we're getting any actual facts from the administration. Americans rely on the media to let us know what's going on over there. No, I'm sorry, this is just another pathetic attempt by the war mongers to make us all fall in line.

In order to determine who's responsible for those kids coming back in body bags, you'd need to ask the administration, who simply nod their heads real slow and say "...making good progress..." like good little parrots. Blow it out your ass, hero.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

rolleye.gif

Could you please elaborate more on why a guerilla war is not a "tactically sound way of defeating the enemy" ? kthx

Umm. The Soviets had the exact same situation in Afghanistan, and thier media only reported rosy cheery news on penalty of death. The guerillas still continued fighting and still ultimately drove them out.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
Yep, people need to be kept as ignorant as possible. They should know only what the government wants them to know - that everything is peachy.

I think independent media should be banned and a Department of Information setup to tell poeple how many books Laura Bush read to how many kids, how much money O'Reilly gave to poor kids and what a great American Hero Elite Force Aviator Bush is.

Did you read the article or are you just posting for the hell of it? Nobody is saying don't report the bad...just report the good too. Is that unreasonable?

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: rchiu
First of all, who is killing our troops? I think we can all agree it's Saddam loyalist or Al-Qaeda.

Ok, so do those peole even read American media or give a $hit what American media says? If American media reports rosy stories about Iraq, while making American feel good about ourselves, does it make Saddam loyalist or Al-Qaeda less likely to kill our troop?

This is just another pathetic attemp of shifting blame from the Administration and people who supported this war in the first place to someboday, anybody. The admin and those senators/congressman, yes democrates too, are the ones costing lives by starting this war.

Are you 12?

Dec 27, 2001

rolleye.gif

Don't be a condescending prick, for once. The Saddam loyalists and array of terrorists who have entered Iraq since our invasion, would fight a guerilla war regardless of what our media is doing. What? You want the media to censor itself? You don't want them reporting the facts? Damned if we're getting any actual facts from the administration. Americans rely on the media to let us know what's going on over there. No, I'm sorry, this is just another pathetic attempt by the war mongers to make us all fall in line.

In order to determine who's responsible for those kids coming back in body bags, you'd need to ask the administration, who simply nod their heads real slow and say "...making good progress..." like good little parrots. Blow it out your ass, hero.

This argument is about reporting the good AND the bad. Never once in this thread have I said we should censor the bad...stop posting replies to replies in your head...also known as the strawman fallacy of argumentation...or delirium.