Congressman Ken Buck pressured local official to submit incorrect election results

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Surprise surprise
Why is it that when election shenanigans come up its ALWAYS the Republican party in the middle of it?

Fellow Republican says congressman tried to bully him into committing a crime
Colorado Republican Party Chair Ken Buck, a U.S. representative from Windsor, pressured a local party official to submit incorrect election results to set the primary ballot for a state Senate seat, according to an audio recording of a conference call obtained by The Denver Post.

“You’ve got a sitting congressman, a sitting state party chair, who is trying to bully a volunteer — I’m a volunteer; I don’t get paid for this — into committing a crime,” Eli Bremer, the GOP chairman for state Senate District 10, told The Post on Wednesday, confirming the authenticity of the recording. “To say it’s damning is an understatement.”

Buck says he was merely asking Bremer to abide by a committee decision.

At issue is the Republican primary for the District 10 seat currently held by Sen. Owen Hill, who’s term-limited. State Rep. Larry Liston and GOP activist David Stiver both ran for it. To qualify for the November ballot via the caucus and assembly process, a candidate must receive 30% of the vote from Republicans within the district.

During a district assembly in March, Liston received 75% of the vote and Stiver just 24%, according to documents filed later in Denver District Court. Stiver complained the election was unfair, and the issue was taken up with the state central committee, which agreed, Buck said in an interview Wednesday.

The central committee consists of nearly 500 members, including elected officials and county officers. About 200 were on the line during an April 17 conference call in which the group voted to place Stiver on the ballot for the seat, even though he failed to receive 30% of the district’s votes. After the vote, Buck asked Bremer, the District 10 chair, whether he would comply with the committee’s decision.

“Do you understand the order of the executive committee and the central committee that you will submit the paperwork to include Mr. Stiver and Mr. Liston on the ballot, with Mr. Liston receiving the top-line vote?” Buck said on the call.

“Uh, yes, sir, I understand the central committee has adopted a resolution that requires me to sign a false affidavit to the state,” Bremer replied.

“And will you do so?” Buck said.

Bremer: “I will seek legal counsel as I am being asked to sign an affidavit that states Mr. Stiver received 30% of the vote. I need to seek legal counsel to find out if I am putting myself in jeopardy of a misdemeanor for doing that. ”

Buck: “And you understand that it is the order of the central committee that you do so?”

Bremer: “I will consult with counsel. Yes, sir, I understand the central committee has ordered me to sign an affidavit stating that a candidate got 30% who did not. And I will seek legal counsel and determine if I am legally able to follow that.”

Buck: “All right, Mr. Bremer, I understand your position; we will now move on.”

Buck, a lawyer, told The Post on Wednesday that it has been the tradition in both parties for their committees to make such decisions.

“What I was asking Eli to do was not to commit fraud, I was asking Eli if he understood the decision of the central committee and if he was willing to follow the request of the Republican central committee,” he said. “It wasn’t like I was asking him to do something because I have a personal stake in the process.”

The assembly process to select the District 10 candidates, carried out as coronavirus was quickly spreading through the state, was flawed, Buck said.

“We have two choices,” he said. “We’re going to allow an unfair election to stand, or we’re going to require the chairman of the Senate district to put the candidate’s name on the ballot and let the primary voters decide.”

Bremer never filed the paperwork. Three days after the phone call, the district’s vice chair filed a “friendly lawsuit,” Bremer said, to prevent him from doing so. Bremer told the court he had no position and would abide by its decision.

District Court Chief Judge Michael Martinez ruled Monday that any certificate of designation filed with the Secretary of State’s Office showing Stiver as a candidate would violate state law because he did not receive at least 30% of the district’s votes.

The state Republican Party appealed the case to the Colorado Supreme Court, which declined Tuesday to hear it. State party spokesman Joe Jackson expressed disappointment in the Supreme Court’s decision, predicting it will set a new precedent in which the courts will be inundated with political fights every two years.

But the April 17 conversation struck Colorado politics expert Seth Masket as brazen. The political science professor at the University of Denver said it’s also likely an uncommon occurrence.

“There are plenty of examples within Colorado and elsewhere of party leaders pressuring subordinates to sort of fudge results or to change their views on things, but it’s very rare you see someone directly ordering someone to commit a crime,” Masket said.

The aftermath is likely problematic for both Buck and the state Republican Party, Masket said.

“But also potentially for Buck as a member of Congress,” he said. “This is something his colleagues probably don’t think highly of. But I can’t imagine it’s about to flip his district blue or anything like that.”

Joe Webb, former chair of the Jefferson County Republican Party, said he counted the votes for the District 10 race and Buck’s comments angered him so badly that he hung up the phone.

“Eli was being asked, and this is very serious, to attest to something as true when he knew it was false,” Webb said. “There’s a word for that in the legal jargon; it’s called perjury.”

Buck, a former district attorney, should have known better, Webb said.

The entire ordeal was disheartening and would not have happened if the coronavirus hadn’t forced the party’s assemblies into a truncated timeline, Webb said.

Bremer said the court rulings were a vindication for him, and Buck’s actions were a betrayal.

At a minimum, Bremer said, Buck owes him an apology.

“How in the heck is the Republican Party going to go out and say we’re for the rule of law except when it applies to us — we can do whatever we want to?” Bremer said. “That’s not my Republican Party.”

It’s the second accusation of election irregularities to touch Buck, who’s also the state GOP chairman, this week. The first related to concerns about Buck pressuring an El Paso County Republican official to put a candidate on a primary ballot.

Weld County Republican Chair William Sander told The Denver Post on Friday that an internal GOP audit found a precinct committee person entered three people as delegates who had not been elected at the party caucuses in March.

“This is clearly a fraudulent, dishonest and corrupt act amongst four long-term Weld County Republicans who knew better. Their action, had it not been caught, would have disenfranchised elected delegates,” Sander wrote in one of the complaints.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
Ken Buck is probably a descendant of illegal immigrants, or something.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Well you see, Republicans were put there by God.... So, they have divine right....

Seriously the mental gymnastics that it must take to justify the Republicans as morally right is amazing.

Now, the "win at all costs so I can keep old white men in power while I hoard my money Republicans"...They make sense. They may be scum, but at least they are internally consistent.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Every single treasonous republican needs to be voted out of office, for their own good. Except Romney, he choose Constitution over criminal ultimately.

An entrenched minority who has removed legal and constitutional avenues to both fight criminality and protect democracy is going to get a mean wake up call, sooner or later.

• Love
Reactions: TeeJay1952

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yea, saw this storying on TRMS last night. We get it. You Republicans realize you can only win elections if you cheat in some way. The people be damned.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Ken was just the messenger from the Central Committee. They all be thugs.

What a great name- "The Central Committee". It's straight out of a dystopian novel.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Was I the only one to notice it was a Republican that turned this guy in or am I mistaken in that.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Was I the only one to notice it was a Republican that turned this guy in or am I mistaken in that.
I wouldn't say that. It looks like it was a local level person that self-identifies as republican. It doesn't look like an endorsed republican turned in another republican. I too could be reading that wrong.

My guess is that the local official didn't think it was worth committing fraud for about that he most likely didn't support, a guy that got less than 30% in a primary.

Local level people don't have strong ties to national parties and like other people are more likely to engage in self preservation.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I wouldn't say that. It looks like it was a local level person that self-identifies as republican. It doesn't look like an endorsed republican turned in another republican. I too could be reading that wrong.

My guess is that the local official didn't think it was worth committing fraud for about that he most likely didn't support, a guy that got less than 30% in a primary.

Local level people don't have strong ties to national parties and like other people are more likely to engage in self preservation.

Classic CYA. If it wasn't public knowledge this brave young chappie won't have batted an eye in fixing it. Another winner of the GOP rubber backbone award. lol.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Classic CYA. If it wasn't public knowledge this brave young chappie won't have batted an eye in fixing it. Another winner of the GOP rubber backbone award. lol.
I didn't have your advantage of knowing him personally.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yes he was. One Republican was trying to do the right thing. Still the result is still a Republican problem.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Yes he was. One Republican was trying to do the right thing. Still the result is still a Republican problem.
I think it important not to paint people with too broad a brush especially when spewing contempt. Bad for the soul, I think.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hate is a drainer of the soul.
Indeed, with the soul being a metaphor for something that can't be accurately identified with words but which can be referred to indirectly via religion, spirituality, or psychologically. It gets rather long winded to refer to the self we were meant to be or out true human potential, not that we can say exactly what that is in language, as I would prefer. But English is ill equipped to express such ideas. You can get a sense of the poverty such a lack produces when you are told that in Russian one can't differentiate between to speak and to say, like the words of a parrot and a wise man were one and the same.

Anyway, the problem, as I see it, is that all hate is self hate and to hate others is to feed one's sense of self worth, to unknowingly perpetuate self blame. This is probably why forgiveness is so important to self healing and so hard to do. I fucking really learned to hate and can't find a way to truly shake it. I try not to take it or self justification too seriously. Hating yourself for hating is just more of the same game, seems to me.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Indeed, with the soul being a metaphor for something that can't be accurately identified with words but which can be referred to indirectly via religion, spirituality, or psychologically. It gets rather long winded to refer to the self we were meant to be or out true human potential, not that we can say exactly what that is in language, as I would prefer. But English is ill equipped to express such ideas. You can get a sense of the poverty such a lack produces when you are told that in Russian one can't differentiate between to speak and to say, like the words of a parrot and a wise man were one and the same.

Anyway, the problem, as I see it, is that all hate is self hate and to hate others is to feed one's sense of self worth, to unknowingly perpetuate self blame. This is probably why forgiveness is so important to self healing and so hard to do. I fucking really learned to hate and can't find a way to truly shake it. I try not to take it or self justification too seriously. Hating yourself for hating is just more of the same game, seems to me.
We always project, if not aware of it.