Congressman introduces bill to legalize low levels of marijuana

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Someone actually introducing a bill to decriminalize pot is pretty impressive. It should be legalized and heavily taxed. We could eliminate the national debt. It will never pass. It's just a pipe dream.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I hope it passes. Though i dont expect Bush to sign it into law. Maybe Obama will when it comes up again.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: conehead433
Someone actually introducing a bill to decriminalize pot is pretty impressive. It should be legalized and heavily taxed. We could eliminate the national debt. It will never pass. It's just a pipe dream.

No pun intended ;)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: Fmr12B
28.5 grams per ounce

114 grams in a 4oz sack. Dats a lot of weed for personal consumption.

So is a carton of cigarettes.
Well the potency of weed today is much stronger than it was just a few year ago. In comparison with cigerettes, todays Doob would be more like a Cuban Cigar.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
28.5 grams per ounce

Well the potency of weed today is much stronger than it was just a few year ago. In comparison with cigerettes, todays Doob would be more like a Cuban Cigar.

I'm pretty sure that's an urban myth spread by the Drug Warriors, Red.

Still, it's not illegal to own a box of Cuban cigars because they're cigars.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
this is already the case in NY. its less than 100 g is the equivalent of a speeding ticket. Not requiring an arrest and fingerprinting etc...simply issued a tickets summons with a fine.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
28.5 grams per ounce

Still, it's not illegal to own a box of Cuban cigars because they're Cuban cigars.

Fixed. But this being passed is only the first step. Although I don't see it passing because of the super religious bible thumpers prohibiting "sin". Even if by some luck that it does pass, then it would also need to be rescheduled as well. Just as ayabe stated.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Well you might be right as I haven't indulged and many years but when I was last smoking dope I remember that there were some pretty potent stuff that'd make you forget where the fuck you were. I just figured that some enterprising individuals would have taken it up a few nothches over the years.

That said I don't give a shit as long as nobodies driving under the influence of it and if they are they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if caught.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Fixed. But this being passed is only the first step. Although I don't see it passing because of the super religious bible thumpers prohibiting "sin". Even if by some luck that it does pass, then it would also need to be rescheduled as well. Just as ayabe stated.

Are these your "bible thumpers?"

;)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
28.5 grams per ounce

Still, it's not illegal to own a box of Cuban cigars because they're Cuban cigars.

I hear new strains causes people to imagine all sorts of conspiracies. I'm just saying.:laugh:

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Drug laws should NOT be enforced at the federal level. The Constitution gives the federal government NO authority here. All drug laws should be done at the state level.

It is a damn shame that several, 13 IIRC, of our 50 states have legalized medical marijuana only to be overruled by the federal government.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
this is already the case in NY. its less than 100 g is the equivalent of a speeding ticket. Not requiring an arrest and fingerprinting etc...simply issued a tickets summons with a fine.

A fine does not mean it's legal. Why should somebody be fined for possessing a product which should be legal? Should cops stand outside liquor stores and ticket people as they exit?

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Here is that update I was waiting on:

"President Bush's drug warriors must really, really want to protect their ability to throw non-violent marijuana users in jail.

The White House sent at least three party crashers to a press conference Wednesday with Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA), who has introduced a pot-decriminalization bill.

The Office of National Drug Control Policy's "chief scientist" and two aides who were dispatched to provide instant rebuttal to Frank and the bill's cosponsors, all of whom acknowledged that marijuana was likely to remain very much illegal in the foreseeable future.

Given the bill's essentially non-existent chances of passage, ONDCP's Dr. David Murray's impassioned arguments that seemed more appropriate in Reefer Madness were greeted with plenty of puzzled glances.

Why did the White House feel it necessary to send at least three staffers to Capitol Hill to place in every reporter's hand a copy of its 20-page, color-copied "2008 Marijuana Sourcebook?" RAW STORY posed this question to Murray.

"It is our responsibility to be aware of policy developments," said Murray, who clarified that he had a PhD and was not a medical doctor. He explained that Frank's attempt to modify the controlled substances act was very much of interest to the Bush administration's pot prohibitionists.

The Marijuana Policy Project's Rob Kampia, who stuck around to listen to Murray's post-press conference diatribe, said he suspected ulterior motives behind the propagandistic pontificating.

"Nothing's going to happen on this before he loses his job," the decriminalization advocate said, acknowledging that Frank's bill won't move forward until at least next year, when President Bush -- and his appointees -- would be out of office. "This is him emptying the clip.""

RawStory

There is a video and some photos in that link as well.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Drugs affect consciousness. Anything that affects the status quo is evil. Conservatives hate drugs for that reason. One puff and everything you were taught you realize is total shit. Drugs are like Jesus. They bring a sword to family ties and cause you to follow the Will of God. Conservatives were taught their culture and their parents are God. That's a terrible thing to teach in an age of change. Some of those poor kids will smoke something and go crazy.

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
Legalize it and then Tax it.

People forget that MJ was legal at one point and not looked upon as anything.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Drugs affect consciousness. Anything that affects the status quo is evil. Conservatives hate drugs for that reason. One puff and everything you were taught you realize is total shit. Drugs are like Jesus. They bring a sword to family ties and cause you to follow the Will of God. Conservatives were taught their culture and their parents are God. That's a terrible thing to teach in an age of change. Some of those poor kids will smoke something and go crazy.

So explain why "liberals" hate drugs. I certainly don't remember hearing Clinton push to legalize pot.

Sep 12, 2004
Bible thumpers. Conservatives. Blah, blah, blah. The bullshit stereotypes are rampant here. People who smoke mj, and those who are adamantly opposed to it, cross all social, religious, and political boundries. To attempt to lay blame on one group in particular is merely blindered spewage of your own idealistic hate (Moonbeam?)

Props to Barney Frank for doing this. I doubt there's a snowball's chance in hell of this bill passing but if that piñata gets beat enough times, eventually it'll break apart.

Juked07

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2008
Originally posted by: BoberFett

So explain why "liberals" hate drugs. I certainly don't remember hearing Clinton push to legalize pot.

Moonbeam had to either be using the ole hyperbole or he lacks the ability to convey thoughts without overgeneralizing. Pretty pointless to debate against in either case..

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
There's too much money and too many jobs wrapped up in the war on drugs to give it up now.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Drugs cause people to think, and the government doesn't want people thinking. What they usually start thinking is that their government is fucking them.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: BoberFett

In regards to politicians that lean towards the liberal side more, I find it difficult to conclude how they truly feel about the marijuana issue including Clinton. It is such a taboo subject when brought up in politics that I wonder if most hide their true feelings so they can avoid political suicide and are just counting on someone else tackling the matter in the future when the idea becomes more politically acceptable. I don't really know for sure though. It's just a theory.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Bible thumpers. Conservatives. Blah, blah, blah. The bullshit stereotypes are rampant here. People who smoke mj, and those who are adamantly opposed to it, cross all social, religious, and political boundries. To attempt to lay blame on one group in particular is merely blindered spewage of your own idealistic hate (Moonbeam?)

Props to Barney Frank for doing this. I doubt there's a snowball's chance in hell of this bill passing but if that piñata gets beat enough times, eventually it'll break apart.

Ignorance isn't limited to any particular group.

Reading some of the opposing comments on CNN, I really wonder what some of these people would do if it were truly legal, I think their heads would explode.

Like this guy:

"It didn't take long for the pot-heads going no where in life to respond with applause. "Arrestees can lose jobs, financial aid, food stamps and housing" If you need financial aid and food stamps, maybe spending your money on pot shouldn't be your first priority. Then again, no one ever accused pot heads of thinking clearly or making good choices in the first place. You can already get it 'legally' in California anyways. Just go to any one of the so called Mary-J "Doctors" and just get a "prescription". They won't even ask you any questions or give you a check up...you just walk in and walk out. Just another reason California is a complete joke. Have fun living in your self-absorbed little smoke-filled world. Ignorance is bliss, ain't it pot heads?"

Gotta love that first line. This guy would shit a brick if he found out his boss smokes a joint everyday, or his Congressman, or his pastor.

There are a hell of a lot more smokers out there than anyone is willing to admit.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: ayabe

There are a hell of a lot more smokers out there than anyone is willing to admit.

this is very true. it applys to more then just pot as well

Ya, no kidding. I doubt this country will see hardly any real changes if it is just legalized already.