Congressman in trouble for wearing hoodie during speech

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Its political. Its to earn him cookie points. Its almost like he is proving the point about the hoodie/gangster stereotype even though it was really just breaking the congress dress code. I'm surprised they didn't just make an exception and carry on. Then his plan would have failed.

It's about him getting on not only the local news, but the national news, and all the major news sites. It's about getting his name out there for the next election.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
It's about him getting on not only the local news, but the national news, and all the major news sites. It's about getting his name out there for the next election.

i guess looking like a complete tool will get votes from some folk.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

He wins with 80% or more of the vote every election. But yes, its a calculated stunt. Maybe he'll win with 90% next time.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
You're not very good at logic are you six? Thread title is accurate and not misleading.

The quote that SandEagle decided to share is misleading, but thread title is fine.

If you wanna be a douche, the title might be accurate but it's incomplete and could be misleading. He got in trouble because the hood was considered a hat, of which are not allowed. If the hood wasn't up, I think it's fair to assume it wouldn't have broken the rule. The hoodie itself wasn't the issue.

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
I personally think this is stupid. Do our politicians have nothing better to do than politicize 1 random act of violence out of thousands that occur every day? Or how about our politicians having nothing better to do than hold hearings about steroid abuse in sports? This is the kind of shit that gets reported on the daily news cycle that people remember or seem to really care about. The real issues in this country get no play nor get this type of response from the general public.

And yes I think Zimmerman is guilty of a crime and justice will hopefully prevail in the end and he gets whats coming to him. But for fucks sakes lets move on already.

We need to replace every single member of congress and get a fresh start. They can't seem to get shit done for the country these days anyway.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Overall the stunt was childish to the point of embarrassment, but striking the anvil while rigidly adhering to the dress code under these circumstances put the emphasis in the wrong place.