Congressional investigators find irregularities in FBI's handling of Clinton email case

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Thank you for finally acknowledging that you won't ignore the findings, which is all I was asking for.

And I also concede all of this is a useful distraction to the Mueller investigation, but like you, I also highly doubt shifting the focus to Clinton will at all stop that train.
I'm glad you like your taxpayer dollars to fund endless investigations into Hillary's email, especially since there was zero new information that came to light here to prompt another investigation.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I'm glad you like your taxpayer dollars to fund endless investigations into Hillary's email, especially since there was zero new information that came to light here to prompt another investigation.
I don't care about the emails. I care if someone tipped the scales of justice to protect her candidacy or because they couldn't stomach the idea of Trump winning, which an indictment most surely would have done. That is money well spent.

Clinton was supposed to survive the investigation, win the election and all of this would have magically gone away. I doubt we would even be talking about Russian interference had she won.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Serious question. What is the punishment for breaking the law if she is found guilty

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't care about the emails. I care if someone tipped the scales of justice to protect her candidacy or because they couldn't stomach the idea of Trump winning, which an indictment most surely would have done. That is money well spent.

Clinton was supposed to survive the investigation, win the election and all of this would have magically gone away. I doubt we would even be talking about Russian interference had she won.
Well I am curious how a handful of emails got characterized into "sheer volume," because to me, that seems to be evidence that whoever wrote the first draft was actually heavily biased against Clinton.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

That's an awful lot of wishful thinking and it certainly requires one to completely ignore the unprecedented step comey took by talking about an on going investigation to the public, twice. Tipped the scales of justice? Sure. Protect her candidacy? Lol!

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
That's an awful lot of wishful thinking and it certainly requires one to completely ignore the unprecedented step comey took by talking about an on going investigation to the public, twice. Tipped the scales of justice? Sure. Protect her candidacy? Lol!
You're also ignoring the set of circumstances that compelled him to do so. You drew my attenion to the email/document that allegedly forced his hand, which I thanked you for, but Comey did not evaluate that piece of info in isolation. Maybe former Presidents should avoid tarmac meetings with an acting AG, you know to talk anout the grandkids, during an active investigation.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You're also ignoring the set of circumstances that compelled him to do so. You drew my attenion to the email/document that allegedly forced his hand, which I thanked you for, but Comey did not evaluate that piece of info in isolation. Maybe former Presidents should avoid tarmac meetings with an acting AG, you know to talk anout the grandkids, during an active investigation.

They should. However, as I'm sure you are well aware of, the meeting took place at the end of the investigation. Loretta lynch was also the AG and not the head of the FBI, so there would have been no need to protect the FBI's reputation at the time and if comey was concerned about lynch's impartiality he could have brought that up with Congress. Instead he made a public announcement about the investigation which ended the long history of the FBI not discussing open cases or when no charges are brought. And when in front of Congress, he himself, said there wasn't any prosecutable crimes committed.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Gawd. If Bill Clinton were the Machiavellian his critics claim him to be then he sure as Hell wouldn't have done that. It was a chance encounter & he simply didn't even consider how it could be made to look. He can be impulsive.

Comey stepped up & took responsibility for the investigation, put that out of the picture. He said none of that mattered to the FBI, nor did the fake memo. All of that may have forced the timing but not the conclusions of an independent & honest FBI.

They found no prosecutable offenses. They never will, either, no matter how desperately their integrity is impugned.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It’s weird to think that the FBI had its scales tipped in her favor when that same FBI violated longstanding policy to explicitly torpedo her candidacy.

If anything we should probably be investigating if the FBI was conspiring AGAINST her.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It’s weird to think that the FBI had its scales tipped in her favor when that same FBI violated longstanding policy to explicitly torpedo her candidacy.

If anything we should probably be investigating if the FBI was conspiring AGAINST her.

Comey promised Congress that they'd be notified if the investigation were re-opened & that's what he was forced to do by the threat of leaks about Weiner's laptop from the NY office. He protected his own integrity & that of the Bureau, even individuals who didn't deserve it.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Anyone care to remind me what this new investigation has to do with Benghazi, you know, the whole reason Congress was looking at her emails in the first place?

Primal-Collective-Roasted-Crickets-Chilli-Garlic-High-Protein-Australia-buy-online.png

I rather doubt it.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Are freaking serious?

This would have continued unabated for the next 4-8 years not unlike Obama's birth certificate.

Also, Russian interference would most certainly be right on the top of the State Department's list (as it should be now). Do you not know that there are currently economic sanctions on Russia due to what we know they did or attempted to do with elections in the U.S. and many other allied nations?

Head. Up. Ass.

Last edited:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Are freaking serious?

This would have continued unabated for the next 4-8 years not unlike Obama's birth certificate.

Also, Russian interference would most certainly be right on the top of the State Department's list (as it should be now). Do you not know that there are currently economic sanctions on Russia due to what we know they did or attempted to do with elections in the U.S. and many other allied nations?

Head. Up. Ass.
I am very much aware of the sanctions against Russia,
which is undoubtedly why agents aligned to their oligarchs engaged Trump and sought him as an ally, with dirt on Clinton being the trade for the lifting of sanctions.

I am also aware that Putin has a very personal vendetta against the Clintons, dating back to the humiliation of Yeltsin, the bombing of Serbia and the expansion of Nato into the former Soviet sphere of influence, with Poland being a particular sore spot.

Try again.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

LOL, the FBI conspired against Clinton by doing its job. If they wanted to get her all they needed to do was move forward with an indictment.

You should be blaming Weiner, former Democrat rising star and now convicted sex offender, and Abedin, for backing up government emails on a personal device owned by someone without the clearance or need to know relative to state department business.

Those careless and reckless errors forced the hand of the FBI.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
LOL, the FBI conspired against Clinton by doing its job. If they wanted to get her all they needed to do was move forward with an indictment.

You should be blaming Weiner, former Democrat rising star and now convicted sex offender, and Abedin, for backing up government emails on a personal device owned by someone without the clearance or need to know relative to state department business.

Which in no way supports the investigation into the FBI that Congressional Repubs want, does it?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Interesting that when the FBI acts against Clinton they are doing their job but when they don’t act against her they are tipping the scales in her favor.

Jul 9, 2009
Face it, we need a special prosecutor for Clinton's emails, a special prosecutor for the Clinton Foundation, a special prosecutor for the Russian uranium deal and a special prosecutor for the Iranian nuclear deal.

Never let statute of limitations go to waste.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Face it, we need a special prosecutor for Clinton's emails, a special prosecutor for the Clinton Foundation, a special prosecutor for the Russian uranium deal and a special prosecutor for the Iranian nuclear deal.

You mean that Repubs need as many distractions as they can generate to obfuscate their own dirty deeds & the ongoing corruption & incompetence in the Trump admin.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

So presumably you agree we need a special prosecutor for the Trump Foundation and for Trump University too, right?

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Interesting that when the FBI acts against Clinton they are doing their job but when they don’t act against her they are tipping the scales in her favor.
Well maybe we shouldn't nominate candidates that the FBI has a reason to investigate, and then we won't have to worry about politics clouding justice.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Well maybe we shouldn't nominate candidates that the FBI has a reason to investigate, and then we won't have to worry about politics clouding justice.
Wait, are you not the cynical type that believes all politicians are crooked on some level?

Unrelated, how is Pam Bondi not in jail?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

No, the actions of the FBI should be entirely separate from candidate selection.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

As the FBI investigation clearly illustrated the whole buttery males episode was a giant nothingburger that Repubs somehow still find satisfying, apparently just for the warm fuzzies of invoking Hillary hate over & over.