Congress to practice fiscal restraint . . .

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
and give Bush whatever he wants
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republicans in Congress said on Monday that they will work quickly to send President Bush (news - web sites) the $87 billion he wants

Congress approved $79 billion largely for Iraq in April, but that money has been quickly depleted amid rising violence against U.S. troops and pressing needs to provide basic services to the Iraqi people. The latest bill would push the deficit for the 2004 fiscal year that begins Oct. 1 past $500 billion, by White House calculations.
Pretty soon we will be talking about real money . . .
rolleye.gif

House Minority leader Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, said Congress will provide U.S. troops with "whatever resources they need to accomplish their mission," but that Bush's spending request on rebuilding Iraq "will be subjected to a higher level of scrutiny."
Pelosi guarding the Treasury is like Bush protecting the environment . . .

Idaho Republican Sen. Larry Craig (news, bio, voting record) said he hoped Washington will find a way make a chunk of the funding "in the form of loans to the new government of Iraq that can be reimbursed with oil money" once Iraq is stabilized
What kind of Enron ponzi scheme is he suggesting?! We picked the governing counsel . . . it has no authority to promise to repay the US by using a resource that belongs to people of Iraq. Last time I checked there was a line around the block of countries and companies with legitimate claims against Iraq (Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia . . . not to mention outstanding loans). I guess the US is a preferred-stock investor so we can step to the head of the queue.

One more thing . . . it is unlikely Iraq will pump more than 2m bpd this year. Best case scenario is that after investing another $5-10B in oil infrastructure alone (barring any further interruptions), Iraq might be able to pump 4-6m bpd within 2 years ($120-$160M/day). How much will be leftover once Iraq finishes rebuilding/supporting its physical infrastructure and establishing systems of universal healthcare and education?

Sen. Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record), a Vermont Democrat, said Bush was treating Congresa and taxpayers "like some sort of ATM machine," and said he offerd no plan to deal with security problems and turn over responsibility to the Iraqi people.
Yes but I bet Bush is praying to Jesus Christ (our Lord and Savior) for guidance. My best guess is that Jesus will recommend a tax cut and slashing non-military discretionary funding plus a major scaleback in the federal role in Medicare and Medicaid.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
You mean the restraint like the time they gave themselves raises.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
How the hell can Daschle "credit" Bush on "candidly acknowledging that our presence in Iraq will cost far more than he originally projected and that success will ultimately demand a true international coalition," when Bush was warned all along that the price for his unnecessary invasion of Iraq would be in the hundreds of billions and that it couldn't be accomplished without a genuine UN and NATO backed coalition?

No wonder the Republicans won majorities in both houses in 2002. Daschle needs to find something to do outside of politics. With this moron as minority leader in the Senate the Democrats will always be the minority.

Rather than run to the nearest microphone the day after Bush's ridiculous, lame excuse for a speech the Democrats should be making sure Bush and Co. are hung out to dry before they agree to aid them in any way. The Bush administration has us in one hell of a mess in Iraq and it's ALL their own doing. Heads should roll in the Bush administration. That should be the price the Democrats demand.

The Bush people are just going to spin this to their advantage and let the Democrats look like fools again.

Ridiculous. There isn't a fighter among the entire lot of them. Someone should be on the Capital steps kicking Bush's a$$ daily in front of the cameras instead of cowtowing to the Republicans after the mess they've created.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
n. Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record), a Vermont Democrat, said Bush was treating Congresa and taxpayers "like some sort of ATM machine," and said he offerd no plan to deal with security problems and turn over responsibility to the Iraqi people.

with ATMs you can only withdraw money you actually have. Bush's spending is more like a 18 year old on a shopping spree with his parents' credit card.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
n. Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record), a Vermont Democrat, said Bush was treating Congresa and taxpayers "like some sort of ATM machine," and said he offerd no plan to deal with security problems and turn over responsibility to the Iraqi people.

with ATMs you can only withdraw money you actually have. Bush's spending is more like a 18 year old on a shopping spree with his parents' credit card.

Marty, believe it or not, those were the EXACT words I said to my wife this morning while we were watching the news.
"like a 18 year old on a shopping spree with his parents' credit card."

Bush's ATM is in our pockets and they'll be empty for decades all due to his irresponsible, unnecessary rush to invade Iraq.

And where the hell is the opposition party?

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
And where the hell is the opposition party?
Planning, scheming, waiting for the right moment to attack, content in that non-active state.

Where is our watchdog media? At best, Rudy Bakhtiar will make an odd face when she regurgitates Bush's requested dollar amounts but that's it.

Where is America? No time to read the paper anymore, too busy working and watching TV. Kids to raise, bowling night, etc.

Where is Congress? Just got a new raise! Time to think about a membership at that new private golf course (on the good side of town of course).

On the hole, we're in a hole of our own making.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Bush is destroying this country. We will be in 8 trillion debt by 04' amd the tax base is leaving to jobs overseas. So will I when the bill comes.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
What would happen to a Democrat who voted against appropriating these 87 billion? Remember what happened to Max "'unpatriotic' tripple war amputee" Cleland.
Until the American people wake up, there isn't much the opposition party can do.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: SuperTool
What would happen to a Democrat who voted against appropriating these 87 billion? Remember what happened to Max "'unpatriotic' tripple war amputee" Cleland.
Until the American people wake up, there isn't much the opposition party can do.

One of the low points in American political history was Max Cleland sitting in his wheel chair after losing to a Republican, another chickenhawk, who won by accusing Cleland of being unpatriotic.

What a disgrace.

You're right. The American people need to wake up before anything can be done. But I don't hold out much hope of that happening any time soon.

Just look at this forum. You can find many examples of unconscious Americans right here.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think we should kill two birds with one stone and outsource Iraq to North Korea.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I think we should kill two birds with one stone and outsource Iraq to North Korea.

hehe

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

:D:D:D

haha

That's a good one Moonbeam.

We should all email that suggestion to the White House.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
One of the low points in American political history was Max Cleland sitting in his wheel chair after losing to a Republican, another chickenhawk, who won by accusing Cleland of being unpatriotic.
As lowdown and dirty as Democrats can be . . . the GA Senate race was a disgrace. As a representative democracy we get the elected officials we deserve . . .

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Ahh, but the really good thing is that only about 15 billion of this is for reconstruction of Iraq, and a paultry 800 million to rebuild Afghanistan. Most of the rest is for military upkeep.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
All I gotta say is theres hell to pay for those Republicans in the house and in the senate upcoming election.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
All I gotta say is theres hell to pay for those Republicans in the house and in the senate upcoming election.
Why do you say that?

The GOP says everything wrong in America can be traced to 9/11, Clinton's foreign policy, and obstructionist Democrats in the Congress. Furthermore, GOP candidates are swimming in cash while the Democrats lack money and ideas . . . at least a voice for their ideas.