Congress just killed Internet privacy protections

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Fallen back a bit due to the Syria news, but an update regarding this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-internet-idUSKBN1790AP

Looks like Pai wants to fast-track the replacement of Net Neutrality with Net Neutering. Stating that he wants 'internet providers to voluntarily agree to not obstruct or slow consumer access to web content', which means as much as we all know it means. The level of a) shortsightedness and/or b) maliciousness is astounding.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
For anything they need to process and store the data, the costs will absolutely be placed on the consumer. Ask yourself this, and assume your subscribed services haven't changed, has your Telco bill ever gone down? Mine sure hasn't.

You are forgetting that the "consumer" that the costs will be placed on, would be the consumer of the data, aka advertisers. We are just the sheep who gets our wool cut in this case, we get to experience the cold feeling of less privacy, but we are not paying for the wool sweater. If they cannot afford to collect, store, and process the data and also sell it at a profit without charging their Internet customer base (as opposed to the advertising customer base), then it is not a profitable venture.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Looks like Pai wants to fast-track the replacement of Net Neutrality with Net Neutering. Stating that he wants 'internet providers to voluntarily agree to not obstruct or slow consumer access to web content', which means as much as we all know it means. The level of a) shortsightedness and/or b) maliciousness is astounding.

every single day, just more examples of how much this administration simply hates humanity and the idea of having to share this world with the 99.99999% of non-multi-gajillionaire humans.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
every single day, just more examples of how much this administration simply hates humanity and the idea of having to share this world with the 99.99999% of non-multi-gajillionaire humans.

What gets me is it's people. Like, I guess this is the reason I'm not a politician, but I cannot imagine myself supporting something that I know for a fact is going to screw millions of people to line the pockets of a few, even myself. Like, this isn't an amorphous, cthulian mass of meat and dark energy, out to drain the lifeblood of humanity (citation needed), it's just normal people who have decided it's in their best interest to do this.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You are forgetting that the "consumer" that the costs will be placed on, would be the consumer of the data, aka advertisers. We are just the sheep who gets our wool cut in this case, we get to experience the cold feeling of less privacy, but we are not paying for the wool sweater. If they cannot afford to collect, store, and process the data and also sell it at a profit without charging their Internet customer base (as opposed to the advertising customer base), then it is not a profitable venture.
Wishful thinking and optimism has no place in corporate america.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

All good, those big ISP'S will definitely voluntarily keep it free and open. It's not like they've been fighting net neutrality since day one.

Last edited: