Congress Exhibits Less Outrage Over Gas

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Originally posted by: Pabster
But rather than spinning this, maybe you can explain exactly how the democrats ARE CAUSING A RUN UP IN OIL PRICES. After all I already gave you my unrebutted by you explanation for the causes and cures.

It's really pretty simple, Lemon. Your heroes promised to rein in "Big Oil" and get my prices at the pump DOWN. They've failed miserably. In fact, they haven't done squat. That's called FAILURE.

No, Pabster, its called the democrats have FAILED TO REIN IN GWB.

What you failed to even talk about are the ROOT CAUSES OF THE SUDDEN SPIKE IN OIL PRICES THAT STARTED AFTER GWB CAME IN.

Now as the chickens of bad policy come home to roost, and GWB policies unravel everywhere, the problems get much worse much faster.

And quite frankly I am some what disappointed in you Pabster, you could at least make some rational arguments that some of the run up in oil prices have other root causes in the rest of the world. And have nothing to do with Republican and Democratic infighting. But evidently that violates your self appointed role to spin the issues in a totally phony way.

The problem is the spike is prices is more caused by world demand more than anything.

The price of oil will never go down by any sizable number with China and other less developed countries buying every last drop they can. China's building up of their oil reserves is ONE of the biggest factors in the price of oil.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: blackangst1

What do you have against the American way of voting in people who are better than before? Why is that so bad for you? I've wanted a third, or fourth, or fifth party since I was in high school. but I also realized back then, the majority of people in this country are apathetic, so it wont happen anytime soon.

WTF is your problem with that? Why do you hate the American way?

The reason why there aren't more then 2 parties has nothing to do with the apathy of the voter, it has to do with the way our constitution is structured. There will never be more then two viable parties... ever. Winner take all systems always have 2 parties.

So, sadly enough the American way is in fact two party politics.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Once Hillary gets into power with a bigger dem majority I wonder what the buttkissers excuse will be when they again fail to do anything? Before it was a repubican congress. Now it is the tried and tested excuse of GWB. The lefites are resouceful though in their scapegoating. I have confidence they can find somebody else to blame but themselves in 2009.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Genx87
Once Hillary gets into power with a bigger dem majority I wonder what the buttkissers excuse will be when they again fail to do anything? Before it was a repubican congress. Now it is the tried and tested excuse of GWB. The lefites are resouceful though in their scapegoating. I have confidence they can find somebody else to blame but themselves in 2009.

I've blamed all Americans since 1973.

Now that this is a Pabster sponsored thread rather than my oil and gas thread all you guys do is bash democrats.

When you show that Democrats are own oil and Gas interests like Bush and Cheney and the rest let me know.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I have confidence they can find somebody else to blame but themselves in 2009.

Sure, blame the foundation laid by the repubs, just as the rs did when they took power.

Both parties have been egregious.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
I'm expecting $4 per gallon within 60 days. :|

Dave already predicted that would happen before Christmas.

Wait, what happened to Dave's prediction of $5 gasoline last Christmas?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Now that this is a Pabster sponsored thread rather than my oil and gas thread all you guys do is bash democrats.

That's because my threads deal in reality, Dave, not fantasy land.

You're nothing but a partisan hack, a troll, and a disgrace :thumbsdown: :| :thumbsdown:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
You're nothing but a partisan hack, a troll, and a disgrace

Haha, this from the guy who spawns just as many threads as dmcowen, all of which are critical of dems. I like to think that dave knows he's a partisan hack, but can't you admit you're just as bad?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Haha, this from the guy who spawns just as many threads as dmcowen, all of which are critical of dems. I like to think that dave knows he's a partisan hack, but can't you admit you're just as bad?

I can't think of a single thread where Dave has ever had the balls to admit he's partisan, let alone the other traits. I readily admit to being a partisan, but I do try to present more fact and evidence to support my viewpoints.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: CPA

You tell me.

Why are they holding back when clearly $95 plus more than supports not only $5 gas but well beyond?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Speaking of facts Pabster. Three points to make.

1. I challenged you to justify the initial premise of this thread by telling us how the democrats
promised to bring gas prices down? Who precisely made that promise? Without that set of facts, this is just another of many troll threads you have spawned. Now put up or shut up.

2. I pointed out this run up in oil prices is not 100% the fault of GWB. But thus far supply and demand and the devaluations of the US currency fail to explain the sharp run up from $60/barrel oil ramping up to $100/barrel oil in just three months. But GWB saber rattling over Iran would explain that recent rapid rise almost perfectly.

3. For an admitted republican partisan poster such as you Pabster, I would think that opening a thread on oil prices is a subject that Republicans would tend to avoid like the plague. Its a giant loser for the Republican party, and as you can see, the facts come out and your purpose has totally backfired on you.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Why are they holding back when clearly $95 plus more than supports not only $5 gas but well beyond?

You clearly don't understand the costs that go into a gallon, including refinement, taxes, and reseller margin. Do you presume that a doubling in crude costs should have a doubling at the pump? *giggle*

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

1. I challenged you to justify the initial premise of this thread by telling us how the democrats
promised to bring gas prices down? Who precisely made that promise? Without that set of facts, this is just another of many troll threads you have spawned. Now put up or shut up.

One of the very first hits in a simple Google reveals this:

?Democrats have a plan to lower gas prices?join Democrats who are working to lower gas prices now.?
Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Release, 4/19/06; CNN, 4/25/06

?Democrats believe that we can do more for the American people who are struggling to deal with high gas prices?We have offered legislation that would actually do something about the rise in gasoline prices??
Democrat Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD), Release, 10/4/05

?House Democrats have a plan to help curb rising gas prices.?
Democrat Whip Jim Clyburn (D-SC), Online Town Meeting, 7/26/06

?With gasoline and other prices rising, ?America?s middle-class families deserve better? ? ?Nobody thinks $2.50 a gallon is cheap; it?s still expensive.??
Democrat Caucus Chairman Rahm Emanuel (D-IL), CBS News, 6/2/06; New York Times, 9/30/06

2. I pointed out this run up in oil prices is not 100% the fault of GWB. But thus far supply and demand and the devaluations of the US currency fail to explain the sharp run up from $60/barrel oil ramping up to $100/barrel oil in just three months. But GWB saber rattling over Iran would explain that recent rapid rise almost perfectly.

You're clueless, as usual. While certainly the threat of war with Iran adds a premium, the real "run up" has been caused by traders looking to make big bucks. GWB has nothing to do with that.

3. For an admitted republican partisan poster such as you Pabster, I would think that opening a thread on oil prices is a subject that Republicans would tend to avoid like the plague. Its a giant loser for the Republican party, and as you can see, the facts come out and your purpose has totally backfired on you.

No, it goes to show you that I can be partisan and still carry on a discussion or debate, whether "my side" has the right formula or not.

Now I've provided evidence of Democrats claiming and promising to bring down gas prices. So it's time for YOU to put up, or shut up.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: CPA

You tell me.

who exactly is "they"?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Point 2: you are correct. GWB doesnt have 100% responsibility of oil prices. The correct number is actually 0.

Why is that? Republicans dont have anything to do with oil prices...I would expect you to know this, so maybe I missed your point?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Pabster

One of the very first hits in a simple Google reveals this:

?Democrats have a plan to lower gas prices?join Democrats who are working to lower gas prices now.?
Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Release, 4/19/06; CNN, 4/25/06

?Democrats believe that we can do more for the American people who are struggling to deal with high gas prices?We have offered legislation that would actually do something about the rise in gasoline prices??
Democrat Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD), Release, 10/4/05

?House Democrats have a plan to help curb rising gas prices.?
Democrat Whip Jim Clyburn (D-SC), Online Town Meeting, 7/26/06

?With gasoline and other prices rising, ?America?s middle-class families deserve better? ? ?Nobody thinks $2.50 a gallon is cheap; it?s still expensive.??
Democrat Caucus Chairman Rahm Emanuel (D-IL), CBS News, 6/2/06; New York Times, 9/30/06

You're clueless, as usual. While certainly the threat of war with Iran adds a premium, the real "run up" has been caused by traders looking to make big bucks. GWB has nothing to do with that.

No, it goes to show you that I can be partisan and still carry on a discussion or debate, whether "my side" has the right formula or not.

Now I've provided evidence of Democrats claiming and promising to bring down gas prices. So it's time for YOU to put up, or shut up.

Ouch. That's gotta sting. Cant wait to hear the excuses.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Bush still president. GOP is going to get blamed for the economy again in 2008. Too bad, so sad. :D

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Pabster is delusional with this------You're clueless, as usual. While certainly the threat of war with Iran adds a premium, the real "run up" has been caused by traders looking to make big bucks. GWB has nothing to do with that.

The point is that GWB saber rattling over Iran has everything to do with speculators pushing up the price of oil. Any Iranian bombing is very likely to result in a blockading of the Persian gulf and those fears of an totally irrational GWB fuels those very speculators. Its the only explanation that FITS THE FACTS FOR SUCH A SHARP RISE IN SO SHORT A TIME.

Then to top it off, Pabster provides three lousy links with no specific text of the details made before the election of 11/06. When no one could even anticipate that Republicans would use its congressional minority in a scorched earth policy of blocking any democratic plans to lower gas prices.

You have fallen well short of the mark Pabster, and in fact you come not even close of even demonstrating a superficial case. But as a test, I have asked some random people I know if they think the democrats promised to lower gas prices as a test to see if its floating in the back of their minds. They can recall no such promises. And almost all pre and post election analysis of the election of 11/06, shows its mostly a public mandate against the policies of GWB&co.

As we all know, come 11/08, the general public is going to take one look at gas prices, and BLAME THE REPUBLICANS.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Pabster is delusional with this------You're clueless, as usual. While certainly the threat of war with Iran adds a premium, the real "run up" has been caused by traders looking to make big bucks. GWB has nothing to do with that.

The point is that GWB saber rattling over Iran has everything to do with speculators pushing up the price of oil. Any Iranian bombing is very likely to result in a blockading of the Persian gulf and those fears of an totally irrational GWB fuels those very speculators. Its the only explanation that FITS THE FACTS FOR SUCH A SHARP RISE IN SO SHORT A TIME.

Then to top it off, Pabster provides three lousy links with no specific text of the details made before the election of 11/06. When no one could even anticipate that Republicans would use its congressional minority in a scorched earth policy of blocking any democratic plans to lower gas prices.

You have fallen well short of the mark Pabster, and in fact you come not even close of even demonstrating a superficial case. But as a test, I have asked some random people I know if they think the democrats promised to lower gas prices as a test to see if its floating in the back of their minds. They can recall no such promises. And almost all pre and post election analysis of the election of 11/06, shows its mostly a public mandate against the policies of GWB&co.

As we all know, come 11/08, the general public is going to take one look at gas prices, and BLAME THE REPUBLICANS.

They can blame all they want. doesnt mean it's factual.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

Another one marked for November :laugh:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Blackaignst1 comes up with a real whopper with---And lastly, although its not popular to say, gasoline is NOT overpriced. We have enjoyed LOW gasoline and diesel prices for decades. It's about time we align with the rest of the planet. Seeing how its a world traded commodity. Since you dont seem to understand that.

Oil/gasoline is a global commodity, everyone pays the same price. The difference at the pump for us and Europeans was their higher taxes on gas.

What you don't understand is that while Americans are paying more for barrel, so are everyone else in the world. And they too will blame an irrational GWB foreign policy for a good part of the run up in prices.

More than supply and demand is operating here, and on the supply side, getting Iraqi oil production from anemic pre war level would do much to put downward pressure on oil.
And having a stable oil supply without threats of Iranian invasions would do the rest.

The other delusion is that just because GWB is not 100% responsible for a run up in oil prices,
you shallow thinkers seem to take that to mean GWB is zero per cent responsible. IN MHO, at least 75% of the run up in oil prices from $60 to $100.00 in the past four months has been on fears of a US bombing of Iran GWB&co seems to delight in rattling sabers about. Very little of this is simple supply and demand.

Odd, you seem to be promoting foreign policy on the basis of the price of oil? I couldv'e sworn I've heard you accuse GWB of that and criticized him in the past for doing so.

And who is naive enough to think Major oil consuming nations will stand idly by while GWB kites their costs also.

Global demand is up, China etc. That explains some of the price increase.

Specualtion has sharply increased. It's been all over the news lately that people are investing in oil futuires etc, and driving prices up, as commonly as people invest in stocks like IBM.

Back when the Dems made their complaints and offered promises to do something about it, many of us scoffed. Now the Dem polititions prolly knew all along it was BS, so they've dropped now that they're in power. Prolly knowing apologists like uyou would pop up to defend their transparant BS.

The Dem "solution" will be to continue to block exploration, new refineries and likely find a way to argue that additional taxes are called for.

Too much pollution and greenhouse gases? Tax it!

Gas prices to high? Tax it!

Good news today is that oil prices dropped.

Bad news was last week when the company doing the bulk of the work on fuel cell technology for auto's quietly dropped it and is getting out of that biz due to tech hurdles that apparently made them surrender the effort.

Fern

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

They can blame all they want. doesnt mean it's factual.

Yep just like that WMD your buddies promised.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Point 2: you are correct. GWB doesnt have 100% responsibility of oil prices. The correct number is actually 0.

Why is that? Republicans dont have anything to do with oil prices...I would expect you to know this, so maybe I missed your point?

That's not true at all. The price of oil is highly speculative and instability in the Middle East is a great way to create doubts as to the future output that can be expected. When Bush threatens Iran, rattles the saber, etc... he directly contributes to these fears and these things have a significant effect on the price of oil.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy

That's not true at all. The price of oil is highly speculative and instability in the Middle East is a great way to create doubts as to the future output that can be expected. When Bush threatens Iran, rattles the saber, etc... he directly contributes to these fears and these things have a significant effect on the price of oil.

Right. In the same way as when the thugs who head up Sudan refuse peace talks, they disrupt their Heglig oil fields. Not to mention reaching across their neighbors to the east to Nigeria tto THEIR oil fields. It's a vicious cycle.

And to think it was all started by GWB unleashing sactions on Sudan. Damn that Bush!