Congress Exhibits Less Outrage Over Gas

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Story here.

Pretty simple, IMHO. Tell the sheep what they want to hear, get elected. Then when your side is back in power, renege on your promises. Seems par for the course.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster
Story here.

Pretty simple, IMHO. Tell the sheep what they want to hear, get elected. Then when your side is back in power, renege on your promises. Seems par for the course.
Are you surprised? We have a 2 headed monster, so in the end we get the same shit . ;)

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Yup, it's called politics. Tell the people what they want to hear and once elected...well, you know the rest.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Sheer chutzpah on the part of Pabster. Its the GWB foreign and domestic policy still perpetuated
by blockading republicans that perpetuate high oil prices. Iraqi oil held off world markets does much to inflate oil prices. That and political uncertainty as speculators look to make a killing if mid east instability disrupts the supply chain and every time GWB opens his yap oil goes up.

On the domestic front, we don't even need a shortage to inflate prices. We allow Oil companies to restrict the supply at the refining level in the same way Enron and others managed to inflate electricity prices. Any regulatory controls are blocked by GWB&co. as we the consumer gets hosed.

Yes the democrats promised what they assumed they could deliver. Now delivery on that promises is blocked by GWB and a too strong republican congressional minority . A roadblock to be removed come 11/08.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Yes the democrats promised what they assumed they could deliver. Now delivery on that promises is blocked by GWB and a too strong republican congressional minority . A roadblock to be removed come 11/08.

You really should try for a position with Hillary's campaign. Or perhaps an aide to Pelosi. You spin so damn much your wheels fell off.

ChunkiMunki

Dec 21, 2001
what's to get outraged about? gas and oil is never going to be cheap or plentiful ever again. I guess we could all shout about it and get angry but why? . gas will soon be $4 then $5 then $6 Americas will get used to paying it and contnue driving big cars.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005

You really should try for a position with Hillary's campaign. Or perhaps an aide to Pelosi. You spin so damn much your wheels fell off.

Pabster, you are the one spinning this.

Its GWB policies that caused this run up in oil prices, its GWB inaction that does nothing to keep the supply from being manipulated or oil speculators from running amok, its republicans in congress that blockade any democrat initiatives to do anything to regulate these effects, and then you have the unmitigated gall to blame the democrats.

But rather than spinning this, maybe you can explain exactly how the democrats ARE CAUSING A RUN UP IN OIL PRICES. After all I already gave you my unrebutted by you explanation for the causes and cures.

Rather than just blaming democrats for assuming that a democratic victory in 11/06 would cause a more rational President than GWB to work with the congress.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
But rather than spinning this, maybe you can explain exactly how the democrats ARE CAUSING A RUN UP IN OIL PRICES. After all I already gave you my unrebutted by you explanation for the causes and cures.

It's really pretty simple, Lemon. Your heroes promised to rein in "Big Oil" and get my prices at the pump DOWN. They've failed miserably. In fact, they haven't done squat. That's called FAILURE.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Story here.

You just described Bush's road to the White House.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005

It's really pretty simple, Lemon. Your heroes promised to rein in "Big Oil" and get my prices at the pump DOWN. They've failed miserably. In fact, they haven't done squat. That's called FAILURE.

No, Pabster, its called the democrats have FAILED TO REIN IN GWB.

What you failed to even talk about are the ROOT CAUSES OF THE SUDDEN SPIKE IN OIL PRICES THAT STARTED AFTER GWB CAME IN.

Now as the chickens of bad policy come home to roost, and GWB policies unravel everywhere, the problems get much worse much faster.

And quite frankly I am some what disappointed in you Pabster, you could at least make some rational arguments that some of the run up in oil prices have other root causes in the rest of the world. And have nothing to do with Republican and Democratic infighting. But evidently that violates your self appointed role to spin the issues in a totally phony way.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Sheer chutzpah on the part of Pabster. Its the GWB foreign and domestic policy still perpetuated
by blockading republicans that perpetuate high oil prices. Iraqi oil held off world markets does much to inflate oil prices. That and political uncertainty as speculators look to make a killing if mid east instability disrupts the supply chain and every time GWB opens his yap oil goes up.

On the domestic front, we don't even need a shortage to inflate prices. We allow Oil companies to restrict the supply at the refining level in the same way Enron and others managed to inflate electricity prices. Any regulatory controls are blocked by GWB&co. as we the consumer gets hosed.

But of course, iraq has been producing about 2M barrels a day for sometime now. So you keep thinking it is being held off the market...

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

What you failed to even talk about are the ROOT CAUSES OF THE SUDDEN SPIKE IN OIL PRICES THAT STARTED AFTER GWB CAME IN.

Now as the chickens of bad policy come home to roost, and GWB policies unravel everywhere, the problems get much worse much faster.

And quite frankly I am some what disappointed in you Pabster, you could at least make some rational arguments that some of the run up in oil prices have other root causes in the rest of the world. And have nothing to do with Republican and Democratic infighting. But evidently that violates your self appointed role to spin the issues in a totally phony way.

The problem is the spike is prices is more caused by world demand more than anything.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

And I'm totally disappointed in you, Lemon. :thumbsdown: :| :thumbsdown:

You continue to make excuses and be an apologist for your heroes and their complete failure to make good on their campaign promises, lowering prices at the pump just one of those they have squandered.

Sure there are other factors. Traders, Supply and Demand, et al. That does not change the fact that your heroes have failed miserably and the question will be...shall the sheep be bamboozled again?

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
All I really want from Congress at this point is to prevent a Persian War. Even this not so lofty goal will be denied though.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison

The problem is the spike is prices is more caused by world demand more than anything.

That and the falling value of the dollar.

What's telling is that neither party is really serious about spending a tenth of what Iraq has cost so far to get us a real alternative to oil (and the resulting sensitivity to all the crap in the ME).

The Reps want it all for war, and the Dems to their pet projects. Neither gives a rat's ass about the root of the problem. Perhaps both sides are well paid not to.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

Ignorance FTW!

The reason oil prices are high is because everyone in this forum is still buying just as much gas as they were when it was <$1/gal.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Man WTF. First, Republicans have NOTHING to do with oil prices lol. Hello? Dave? And your next paragraph about oil companies and refineries...dude seriously. This is Dave comment. You dont know about world commodities either? "regulatory controls blocked by GWB"...wtf? Link? lol

And lastly, although its not popular to say, gasoline is NOT overpriced. We have enjoyed LOW gasoline and diesel prices for decades. It's about time we align with the rest of the planet. Seeing how its a world traded commodity. Since you dont seem to understand that.

I seriously think Dave hijacked your account.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Man WTF. First, Republicans have NOTHING to do with oil prices lol. Hello? Dave? And your next paragraph about oil companies and refineries...dude seriously. This is Dave comment. You dont know about world commodities either? "regulatory controls blocked by GWB"...wtf? Link? lol

And lastly, although its not popular to say, gasoline is NOT overpriced. We have enjoyed LOW gasoline and diesel prices for decades. It's about time we align with the rest of the planet. Seeing how its a world traded commodity. Since you dont seem to understand that.

Please tell that to Pab who is whining just as much about it being the Dems fault.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

Which they promised to do. Hence, they are failures. They spend more time worrying about what Rush says on the radio than trying to get shit done. FAILURE!

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: blackangst1

I seriously think a 13 year old white female hijacked yours. Seriously! LOLZ! OMG!

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..their going to inflect punitive taxes on ALL energy in the name of climate change. Their all part of the great scam/grift.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Which they promised to do. Hence, they are failures. They spend more time worrying about what Rush says on the radio than trying to get shit done. FAILURE!

And what a DISGRACE they are for it. :thumbsdown: :| :thumbsdown:

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Sinsear

And what a DISGRACE they are for it. :thumbsdown: :| :thumbsdown:

Yep; that was the whole platform that they ran on. :thumbsdown::|:thumbsdown:

edit: I'm starting to like this bolding and emoticon trifectas... :p