Congress earning thier $154,700 pay

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Article

WASHINGTON -- Four Illinois lawmakers earned a dubious distinction Thursday, making a list of House members who have skipped the most votes this year.

Out of 435 voting members of the House, only 21 failed to show up for 90 percent of the votes -- an arbitrary cutoff point -- including Republican Rep. Henry J. Hyde and Democratic Representatives William O. Lipinski, Luis V. Gutierrez and Bobby Rush, according to a Congressional Quarterly study published Thursday.

Rep. Richard Gephardt (D-Mo.), who is running for president, showed up for only 10 percent of the roll calls, the worst attendance record in the House so far this year.

On average, members showed up for 95.8 percent of the 457 votes between the start of the 108th Congress in January and the summer recess. The study did not make a distinction between substantive and minor procedural measures.

Hyde scored the lowest for Republicans, making 73 percent of the votes. He cited a back surgery in March and his duties as House International Relations Committee chairman as reasons for missing the roll calls.

He often meets with foreign dignitaries and it would be, he said, "diplomatically unacceptable to interrupt for a vote, especially for a procedural vote." And, a few days after his surgery, Hyde said he "rushed to the House floor at midnight because House leadership needed my vote on the budget and stayed until 3 a.m. despite doctors' orders to stay home and rest."

Lipinski came in at 84 percent, Gutierrez at 86 percent and Rush at 88 percent. House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) voted only 14 percent of the time, but, by custom, the House speaker rarely votes.

Roll calls tell only a part of the story of how a lawmaker functions. For example, Hyde pushed through the AIDS funding bill this year, and Lipinski is quarterbacking the city and state's drive to find more money in the rewrite of the transportation bill.

Lipinski's office did not return three calls asking for comment, but he has been known not to make a priority of showing up for procedural votes on minor matters.

Gutierrez, like Lipinski, does not sweat the procedural votes.

"On many occasions, when I have votes on Tuesday, I can make the decision to be home or come here and spend 20 minutes voting and then nothing. I have opted on numerous occasions to be a husband and father first," Gutierrez said.

Rush said in a statement, "I am confident that I will be in the high 90 percent range of voting by the end of this term."

In contrast, Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-Ill.) has an almost perfect record, missing, he said, just one vote in eight years.

"If I made 100 percent of the substantive votes and zero on the procedural, someone would say I am in Congress only 50 percent of the time," Jackson said. "If this was a prize fight and you did not come out of your corner, they would count you out."

Article

I wonder what wouild happen if I went to work only 10% of the time?

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
"Gutierrez, like Lipinski, does not sweat the procedural votes.

"On many occasions, when I have votes on Tuesday, I can make the decision to be home or come here and spend 20 minutes voting and then nothing. I have opted on numerous occasions to be a husband and father first," Gutierrez said."

that was my favorite. i can just see myself telling my own boss this in a few years.

hey buddy, there are lots of dads that are responsible workers and are great fathers--many because they would be out of a job if they werent. why dont you set an example for your child, not to mention the rest of the country, and be both.

laFiera

May 12, 2001
come on man, a real dad spends the whole day with their kids, and i'm positively sure that this man was out in the golf course with his kids, as all dads should be!!!

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by: laFiera
come on man, a real dad spends the whole day with their kids, and i'm positively sure that this man was out in the golf course with his kids, as all dads should be!!!

he was probably instrucing his caddy, i mean son, on the tough questions in life.....2 iron or 3 wood?

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
435 house + 100 senators = 535 dummycrats/republicons, at a pay of $150k means 535*150,000= $80,250,000. or 80 million. there are about 5000 capitol workers designated for congressmen (or about 10 per each 535 congressmen) at a pay of perhaps $50k = $250,000,000.

however when you factor in under the table payments and bribes from oil companies, unions, RIAA, RBOCs, monopolies, and terrorists, each congressmen makes approximately several billion per month.

furthermore over 75% of congressmen are already millionaires and need no such pay increase (as they already gave themselves a pay increase in the form of a tax cut for the rich earlier this year)

over half a trillion dollars deficit? let out great great great great^6 grandchildren pay for it.