Congress declares war on ports deal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Tom
Originally posted by: RichardE
Originally posted by: Pens1566
Originally posted by: conehead433
Although this deal doesn't turn security of the managed ports over it does turn management over to not just a foreign company but to a foreign nation. If you don't see a problem with that you need glasses.

Exactly. Think maybe that management might be informed of, oh I don't know, minute details about the security at those ports? Jesus H Christ, this administration has based its whole existence on fear of the terrist boogeyman getting us, and now they wonder why people might be upset about one of the boogeyman's native countries running 6 of our biggest ports? I guess they can have their cake and eat it too.

I assume both of you were protesting and sending letters to your reps when the british controlled the ports? This is capitalism, it is what the United States stands for. British, UAE, China, hell even France, they buy ports because shipping is big business.

It is a fact that the USA has a special relationship with Britain(and her offshoots Canada, Australia, New Zealand) and France. For all the anti-French rhetoric over the years, the fact is we know what they did for us in our Revolutionary War, and they know what we did for them, in the World Wars. There's a reason why those fields of crosses and stars of David in Normandy are there.

These countries are our brothers; we like to pretend we are brothers with the rest of the world too, but sometimes we have to be realistic.

Do we have a special relationship with China who happens to control a few ports?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Was this a setup all along? A political stunt by the GOP to make them look good for '06?

I told you this weeks ago when this first came up and the GOP was making a stink.

Election year politics is all this was, as evidenced by the lack of a proper inquiry like they demanded before they nixed the deal.

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: conjur
State Dept. rips UAE on human rights

What timing!

Edit (correction)

DP World to sell US port operations of P&O to US company.

Debate in the Senate now. Warner taking credit and Frist bloviating.

Was this a setup all along? A political stunt by the GOP to make them look good for '06?

I honestly thought this has bs written all over it from the start. how could dumbya support this 100%, and yet be completely unaware of it. I doubt there ever was a deal. All smoke and mirrors.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The GOP in Congress took advantage of their majority status and crammed a permanent renewal of an essentially unrevised Patriot Act down our throats. Then they killed (along a party line vote) any chance of a Congressional investigation into Bush's unwarranted wiretaps, and to add additional injury, passed a law ex post facto legalizing Bush's conduct.

Excuse me for appearing cynical, but this whole port thing is 99% publicity stunt and 1% concern about America or American values.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Tom
Originally posted by: RichardE
Originally posted by: Pens1566
Originally posted by: conehead433
Although this deal doesn't turn security of the managed ports over it does turn management over to not just a foreign company but to a foreign nation. If you don't see a problem with that you need glasses.

Exactly. Think maybe that management might be informed of, oh I don't know, minute details about the security at those ports? Jesus H Christ, this administration has based its whole existence on fear of the terrist boogeyman getting us, and now they wonder why people might be upset about one of the boogeyman's native countries running 6 of our biggest ports? I guess they can have their cake and eat it too.

I assume both of you were protesting and sending letters to your reps when the british controlled the ports? This is capitalism, it is what the United States stands for. British, UAE, China, hell even France, they buy ports because shipping is big business.

It is a fact that the USA has a special relationship with Britain(and her offshoots Canada, Australia, New Zealand) and France. For all the anti-French rhetoric over the years, the fact is we know what they did for us in our Revolutionary War, and they know what we did for them, in the World Wars. There's a reason why those fields of crosses and stars of David in Normandy are there.

These countries are our brothers; we like to pretend we are brothers with the rest of the world too, but sometimes we have to be realistic.

Do we have a special relationship with China who happens to control a few ports?

Yes we do, although not like the other ones I mentioned. I don't know the details of what you are talking about, but my first impression would be it isn't a wise policy.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
Originally posted by: conjur
State Dept. rips UAE on human rights

What timing!

Edit (correction)

DP World to sell US port operations of P&O to US company.

Debate in the Senate now. Warner taking credit and Frist bloviating.

I honestly thought this has bs written all over it from the start. how could dumbya support this 100%, and yet be completely unaware of it. I doubt there ever was a deal. All smoke and mirrors.

And there's MORE!

Cheney Cited UAE-Saddam Relations As A Reason US Might Need To Invade Iraq In 2000
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/03/10/cheney-cited-uaesaddam-r_n_17102.html