Congress Debates New Dept. of Homeland Security

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
So far the "debate" has been rather pathetic. Party politics, as usual.

I believe the idea of a new Department is a complete waste and fails to adequately address our security. When our intelligence community failed to miss 9/11 because of too much bureacracy, how in the hell can creating more bureacracy fix the problem? To me it seems the opposite is needed: less red tape, eliminating redundancies and turning the FBI, CIA and NSA upside down to see what crud falls out.

Also, it looks like this new Dept. may cost $30+ billion/year. All to protect America. May I ask what the $300+ billion/year to fund the military is for?

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I agree that bureacracy needs to be reduced...between departments. The point of DHS is to collectivize the 22 federal agencies that have the most to do with "homeland security." The hope is that, by combining them, information sharing will branch out, instead of the stove-piping process that is involved today.

And although it always seems that we can't help from 'growing government', does that $30 billion take into account that this money was being spent on other departments, like transportation and agriculture?

The real problem here is combining agencies where not all of their duties are directly related to DHS, like the Coast Guard. Many are scared that USCG is in danger of being split in a few years. The government must decide which way to be efficient.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Perhaps but as far I as I know the NSA, FBI and CIA will remain unchanged. That tells me inter-departmental bickering and withholding of information will persist. They will not report to the new Dept., simply be asked to share information with it. End result = inefficiency and an even poor intelligence processing service.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
I'm torn both ways. Something needs to be done about all the inter-agency turf wars. I guess Bush and Congress think this is best even though it reeks of more and bigger government. The way Congress has spent money since 9/11 we'll be bankrupt soon.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Or Dept. of Homeland Insecurity. I have a sinking feeling this will be the formal beginning of a quasi-police state.