Congress asking for all czars to be approved

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Athena

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Finally !
Congress is asking for full transparency on the czars and accountability , that they must go through senate confirmations.
This is silly. Obama doesn't have any more of these advisors than his predecessors. There is no job description entitled Czar. Most of the advisors labeled by the press as "Czars" have already been confirmed by the Senate and the others are low level appointees that do not require confirmation.

This bill will never make it to the floor of either house.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: sandmanwake
Perhaps you should change the title of the thread from "Congress" to "Republicans in Congress".

Robert Byrd, GOP hack at large:

Byrd Calls Obama's Czars Dangerous

Russ Fiengold, the new Hannity:

Liberal Sen. Takes Up 'Czar' Questions with the White House

"President Obama's appointment of "czars,'' or policy coordinators, is drawing new fire from lawmakers in both parties."

for those saying his appointments are in line with Bush's... he's appointed 3 fewer in 9 months than Bush appointed in 8 years. if they were simply powerless advisers, I doubt he'd be drawing any heat from his own party whatsoever, much less from stalwarts like Byrd.

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: bl4ckfl4g
I think it is funny that no one ever had a problem with these positions that have been around since Nixon until now. LOL

My former Southern Command commander was appointed as a czar by Bush...no one had a problem.

fail argument fails.

is it really so hard to wrap your head around the fact that there are those of us who were critical of Bush and are still critical of Obama?

Win arguement wins. I'm not discussing you personally dumbshit. The republicans in congress that are doing so now, didn't try to pass any legislation when Bush was in office. It is just bs because czars sounds communist to redneck republicans and well we all know Obama is a commie right?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Perhaps you should change the title of the thread from "Congress" to "Republicans in Congress".

"President Obama's appointment of "czars,'' or policy coordinators, is drawing new fire from lawmakers in both parties."

for those saying his appointments are in line with Bush's... he's appointed 3 fewer in 9 months than Bush appointed in 8 years. if they were simply powerless advisers, I doubt he'd be drawing any heat from his own party whatsoever, much less from stalwarts like Byrd.

How many did Bush have by 8 months?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Why does it seem like Republicans only do one thing.. look for shit to make democrats look bad and not actually try to fix real stuff.. this little bill is a bigger waste of time than it is a solver of something

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: dahunan
Why does it seem like Republicans only do one thing.. look for shit to make democrats look bad and not actually try to fix real stuff.. this little bill is a bigger waste of time than it is a solver of something

You mean they actually have to fix things? You poor child, how naive of you?

Isn't the whole purpose of their(all parties) presence in Washington is to make the other side look worse than their side?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

Don't you get it? the rate at which you appoint these people directly relates to the constitutionality of such appointments. er. or something like that.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: jonks
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

Don't you get it? the rate at which you appoint these people directly relates to the constitutionality of such appointments. er. or something like that.

dramatically escalating it raises the issue to the forefront of consciousness, similar to how Bush dramatically escalated the use of signing statements made it a concern over the constitutionality of it even though presidents have been using them since Monroe.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i think its a good idea. LONG as its not something stupid that ends in 4 with a revote or such.

this should be something perm.