Congratulations to the anti-vaccination crowd!

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

Not that I support the loony anti-vaccination crowd but ...

"All of the whooping cough-related deaths in California occurred in babies too young to be fully immunized against the illness"

A little honesty goes a long way. In other words, the deaths don't have anything to do with the anti-vaccination crowd, and your thread title is a misleading lie.

Last edited:

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
An Associated Press analysis found that 127 of the 7,174 public and private schools in California reported 2009 whooping cough immunization rates of 50 percent or less for kindergartners.
Is this mostly due to the anti-vaccination crowd that still believes that vaccine preservatives cause autism? Or is it due to the parents not caring and/or unable to afford it?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

"All of the whooping cough-related deaths in California occurred in babies too young to be fully immunized against the illness"

A little honesty goes a long way.
Indeed it does. When parents don't vaccinate their children, the kids act as reservoirs for disease so the disease stays resident in the population, available to attack more vulnerable individuals. Un-vaccinated people are a menace to others, not just themselves. This is why vaccination is a public health issue not just an individual health choice.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Is this mostly due to the anti-vaccination crowd that still believes that vaccine preservatives cause autism? Or is it due to the parents not caring and/or unable to afford it?

Probably the former, immunizations are cheap, if not free, but when you put it into perspective ...

"1.77% of the 7,174 public and private schools in California reported 2009 whooping cough immunization rates of 50 percent or less for kindergartners."

or

"0.88% of students in the 7,174 schools are not immunized."

Still bad, it just lacks the impact the original statement has.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Indeed it does. When parents don't vaccinate their children, the kids act as reservoirs for disease so the disease stays resident in the population, available to attack more vulnerable individuals. Un-vaccinated people are a menace to others, not just themselves. This is why vaccination is a public health issue not just an individual health choice.

This.

As retarded parents don't vaccinate their kids they lower the "herd immunity." This means as less of the population are vaccinated and can become carriers of the disease, the disease can spread to those that have weakened immune systems or are not able to be vaccinated yet.

When dimwitted dumb asses refuse to vaccinate their children, not only are they needlessly exposing their own children to harmful diseases, they are doing the same to other children.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009

A little honesty goes a long way.
True, however adult can be carrier of the bacteria bordetella pertussis thinking it is just a simple cold, and adult can spread it to others adult and children.

It is possible to get sick with pertussis with vaccination, because the initial vaccination shots that you get 20~30 years ago become less and less effective as time go by.

I missed 5 days of work this week because I have whooping cough, and I have had all of my shots.

Last edited:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

A little honesty goes a long way. In other words, the deaths don't have anything to do with the anti-vaccination crowd, and your thread title is a misleading lie.

Look up "Herd Immunity" and get back to us

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
True, however adult can be carrier of the bacteria bordetella pertussis thinking it is just a simple cold, however adult can spread it to others adult and children.

It is possible to get sick with pertussis with vaccination, because the initial vaccination shots that you get 20~30 years ago become less and less effective as time go by.

I missed 5 days of work this week because I have whooping cough, and I have had all of my shots.

Did you get the booster shot?.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I know what it is, and it has nothing to do with the fact that the anti-immunization crowd didn't have shit to do with infants that were too young to be fully immunized dying.

Then you have NO idea what herd immunity is. Maybe you should actually read the link?

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Then you have NO idea what herd immunity is. Maybe you should actually read the link?

Maybe you should, and when you do you can point out where this has anything to do with the "anti-vaccination" crowd.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Maybe you should.

I have. The fewer vaccinated people, the more likely the disease is to spread. Herd immunity not only protects those who are immunized, but those who are not as well.

Period.

Oh, and from wiki:

As of 2009[update], herd immunity is compromised in some areas for some vaccine-preventable diseases, including pertussis and measles and mumps, in part because of parental refusal of vaccination

From the source:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/123/6/1446

Parental Refusal of Pertussis Vaccination Is Associated With an Increased Risk of Pertussis Infection in Children

Last edited:

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Amused is correct. It is irrelevant whether the infants who died were old enough to be vaccinated. In fact, most whooping cough related deaths are of infants too young to be vaccinated, because it isn't generally fatal to anyone older. However, the infants usually contract the disease from adults and adolescents. Vaccination prevents adults and adolescents from getting the disease.

- wolf

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
what are the laws concerning vaccinations in the USA? Over here you have no choice, by law all children have to be vaccinated for a number of diseases (for free). If you refuse, you are in a world of trouble.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Amused is correct. It is irrelevant whether the infants who died were old enough to be vaccinated. In fact, most whooping cough related deaths are of infants too young to be vaccinated, because it isn't generally fatal to anyone older. However, the infants usually contract the disease from adults and adolescents. Vaccination prevents adults and adolescents from getting the disease.

- wolf

This is the definition of "herd immunity." Once a threshold is passed, the disease stops spreading completely, thus protecting the non-immunized as well.

Herd immunity can lead to the complete disappearance of a disease. Like Small Pox: Because herd immunity levels were maintained long enough, Small Pox was eradicated and we no longer even require the vaccine. We have that ability with many other diseases as well. But the anti-vaccination crowd is fucking that up completely.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Probably the former, immunizations are cheap, if not free, but when you put it into perspective ...
"1.77% of the 7,174 public and private schools in California reported 2009 whooping cough immunization rates of 50 percent or less for kindergartners."
or
"0.88% of students in the 7,174 schools are not immunized."
Still bad, it just lacks the impact the original statement has.
Try again.
Your math is good, but your reasoning is severely flawed. The overall percentage you calculate is valid only if you posit that the remaining 7047 schools have a vaccination rate of 100%.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I have. The fewer vaccinated people, the more likely the disease is to spread. Herd immunity not only protects those who are immunized, but those who are not as well.

Period.

Oh, and from wiki:

From the source:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/123/6/1446

Parental Refusal of Pertussis Vaccination Is Associated With an Increased Risk of Pertussis Infection in Children

And? The article, and the thread title are misleading at best, as there's nothing in this article to even begin to suggest that this cases were because of the loony anti-vaccination crowd.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
And? The article, and the thread title are misleading at best, as there's nothing in this article to even begin to suggest that this cases were because of the loony anti-vaccination crowd.

The very fact that kids/anyone is GETTING Pertussis means that herd immunity has not been reached. WHY has herd immunity not been reached? Because people are not getting vaccinated.

This IS because of anti-vaccination, John. This is EXACTLY what happens when vaccination rates dip below the threshold. And that is exactly what the anti-vaccination crowd has done: Lower immunization rates.

The article and thread title are FAR from misleading. They speak to the very simple fact that anti-vaccination movements lower herd immunity. And lower herd immunity means greater risk to those most susceptible, i.e. infants who have not yet been vaccinated.