Congratulations Bill Mueller, 2003 American League Batting Champion

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Bill Mueller of Boston Red Sox won the American League Batting title with the average of .326, .001 shy was fellow Red Sox Manny Ramirez. Congratulations Mr. Mueller.

Another notch for the Red Sox.

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: cliftonite
Fvcker sat out the game :disgust:

Boo hoo hoo. Too bad your boy Jeter didn't win. That punk missed like too many months and would of been a shame for him to win.

tokamak

Golden Member
Nov 26, 1999
sat out today? that's weak.

<-- hates the yankees, so don't bother to play that card ;)

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: tokamak
sat out today? that's weak.

<-- hates the yankees, so don't bother to play that card ;)

He came in to play later in that day. Ramirez is the one who sat out the game.

SammyBoy

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
He didn't sit out cuz of his batting average. He sat out because he will be instrumental for the sox's world series win in a couple of weeks and he needs his rest.

FrontlineWarrior

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2000
he sat out cuz he's a punk. why a non-pitcher/catcher needs rest is incomprehensible to me. 326 is a sh*tty BA for the title, btw.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: FrontlineWarrior
he sat out cuz he's a punk. why a non-pitcher/catcher needs rest is incomprehensible to me. 326 is a sh*tty BA for the title, btw.

Although it does seem a little cheap that he sat out, you don't play major league baseball so what do you know about needing rest? And to be more specific, .326 is the worst AL batting champion average since Rod Carew won it in 1972 with an average of .318.

TJN23

Golden Member
May 4, 2002
they're resting their players for the playoffs...

and 4 out of the last 5 batting champions have been red sox (nomar, nomar, manny, mueller) and yeah, manny finished 2nd this year (by .001 )

GO SOX!

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: FrontlineWarrior

Uh... if you haven't noticed, we're in the playoffs this season. Our regulars need much rest as possible because playoffs start next week.

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
LOL @ the Sox haters here. I was watching both the Sox and Yankees today, and you should've heard the Yankee announcers crying that Jeter choked (he went 0-3), and blaming Mueller for not being in the starting lineup. It was so funny to hear them crying like the little bitches they are. Jeter could've won it by getting a few hits today, but, HE choked, so don't blame Mueller for winning with a 'crappy .326'.
Also, if you haven't noticed, the Sox rested every started all weekend, so it shouldn't have been such a shock that he wasn't in the starting lineup today. He did pinch hit later in the game, so he did play. Wasn't there a controversy in 1998 when Bernie Williams won the batting title about him sitting out the final game to protect his stats?

blues008

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2001
Resting your players for the playoffs is more important than trying to win a batting title. Mueller has been out of games with back spasms and he needs to be healthy for the playoffs.

And if the title goes down to the last day because the other person is resting, then that person probably don't deserve to win it anyway.

Secondary points:

Jeter missed several weeks of the season due to injury.

As soon as Jeter went 0-3, he sat out of the game which leads me to think he really wanted the title.

Yes, .326 is low in recent history.

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: blues008
Resting your players for the playoffs is more important than trying to win a batting title. Mueller has been out of games with back spasms and he needs to be healthy for the playoffs.

And if the title goes down to the last day because the other person is resting, then that person probably don't deserve to win it anyway.

Secondary points:

Jeter missed several weeks of the season due to injury.

As soon as Jeter went 0-3, he sat out of the game which leads me to think he really wanted the title.

Yes, .326 is low in recent history.

Really? Thats kinda lame... but it would have been just as lame if a Yankee did that.

But its time for the playoffs :). No team in the AL really stands out. The Yankees are weaker than in recent years. The Red Sox have a great offensive line-up but its pitching that wins in the playoffs. The Twins might be the dark horse and the As need a little more offense.

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
It's ok when Yankees do it but not ok if other teams do it.

rolleye.gif

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: freesia39
Originally posted by: lager

rolleye.gif

not if its the red sox. :p

I would love for Red Sox to meet Yankees in the league championship so that everyone could see how overrated Jeter is and how much better Garciaparra is.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Originally posted by: freesia39

rolleye.gif

not if its the red sox. :p

I would love for Red Sox to meet Yankees in the league championship so that everyone could see how overrated Jeter is and how much better Garciaparra is.

that would be so great, and i thought everyone knew this? jeter is sad in comparison to nomar

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: cliftonite
Fvcker sat out the game :disgust:

What a punk. Ted Williams could have preserved his .400 average (.403?) by sitting out.

Instead, he played the last game and even raised it (.406).