Confusion in buying Asus Gtx 670 Direct CU II Top

mogans

Dec 3, 2011
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a Asus Gtx 670 Direct CU II Top card.I have read several reviews about this card,all of them are good.But still there has been a talk that there are several issues with this card.Some people say that these cards are overclocked way too high and it may cause problems when u use it continuously in future.There are also many bad reviews in new egg.It seems that the problem is due to the Asus Gpu tweak software.Also several people recommend CU II edition.only Asus version of gtx 670 is only available in my locality.I'm pretty much confused after seeing these kind of talks.Please tell me whether i can go for the top edition card or shall i need to wait for any other versions of this card.

Thanks in advance for ur replies.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
The issue with the TOP card is that Asus mistakenly set the boost clock too high, so when the card did it's own "Kepler Boost", it became unstable. They've released a BIOS update to fix the issue. The other issue was red screen crashes that were directly related to Asus GPU Tweak software, and that too has since been fixed.

This card is one of, if not the best, thermal performer on the market. Not to mention it's fast.

tornadog

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2003
its the luck of the draw with these Top cards. In fact of late TOP cards have been getting a bad rep, whether they are Nvidia or AMD cards. Looks like Asus is not testing these cards thoroughly to make sure the overclocked settings are stable.

The 680 "TOP" seems to be the only high end card that has a 5 egg feedback rating on newegg, 670, 7950 and 7970 are all 3 egg or less.

Last edited:

Zardnok

Sep 21, 2004
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a Asus Gtx 670 Direct CU II Top card.I have read several reviews about this card,all of them are good.But still there has been a talk that there are several issues with this card.Some people say that these cards are overclocked way too high and it may cause problems when u use it continuously in future.There are also many bad reviews in new egg.It seems that the problem is due to the Asus Gpu tweak software.Also several people recommend CU II edition.only Asus version of gtx 670 is only available in my locality.I'm pretty much confused after seeing these kind of talks.Please tell me whether i can go for the top edition card or shall i need to wait for any other versions of this card.

Thanks in advance for ur replies.
I love my 670 TOP card and have had zero problems. Out of the box it boosts higher than most other cards are able to Over-clock and has room to go higher. I read the same threads with folks complaining of issues and decided it was not worth worrying over. I am happy with my card and would definitely buy it again.

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
I would instead recommend the ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU II 'non TOP'. They are the same cards appart from that extra overclock on the TOP card. You can overclock yourself. You also get away from those problems with cards having too high factory overclock.

I have 2 of these non TOP. Very happy with them. However, one card can overclock to 1300MHz + boost, while the other one cannot even make it to 1200MHz. I don't use them overclocked anyway, they are fast enough at stock.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Well, it's hard to trust the reviews when the updated bios reduces the clocks. I'd skip it until we get reviews that show the performance of the final updated card. That's a pretty big O/C over the standard DCII (~15%) on the cards we've seen reviewed.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
if you feel like gambling, get a top. it really seems hit or miss if you get a good one or a dud. my top is thankfully stable at stock. but i have read many, many others on several different forums, that have not been so lucky. if you are more cautious, i would get a non-top. none of those seem to have issues in comparison to the top.

Redox

Aug 12, 2005
I purchased two of the TOP versions for sli. They were initially very unstable in BF3, crashing frequently but updating the bios via the Asus GPU tweak utility has completely solved the problem - no crashes since in any games. They run cool and quiet - very impressed

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
I'm also a big supporter of the 670 TOP. I've had no problems with mine.

kefegg

Apr 25, 2011
What could be the difference in performance I/people could expect?
Let's say Batman Arkham City or BF3 @ 1920*1080 with a Top and a non Top card.
FPS, stability, noise/heat, ...

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
What could be the difference in performance I/people could expect?
Let's say Batman Arkham City or BF3 @ 1920*1080 with a Top and a non Top card.
FPS, stability, noise/heat, ...

Virtually no difference. The non-TOP and the TOP are the same chip with the same cooler. Don't buy this whole "binning" thing. The TOP cards just survived ASUS' internal OC testing at that level.

Obviously a card with a higher clock will squeeze out a little more FPS, as well as produce a little more heat. Stability is impossible to determine until you have the card in hand, but you can expect the card to be stable if you do not overclock it.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Yep Axon is right. Cards are identical, and all Asus does is stability test at whatever the TOP overclock will be, and slap the TOP name on it. I have a non TOP 680 that I flashed with the TOP bios, and it's been flawless.