confused, what's the difference between these 2 Opterons??

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I wonder if the 2435s are electrically compatible with 8 socket configs; they just arnt "certified"; i bet those two processors are identicals, one just does extra on paper

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
What's the advantage of 1 vs 3 HT links? I'm asking about these processors within the scope of using 4 of them on a single board, all linked together via HT for a total of 24 physical cores.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
HT is how these processors communicate to other processors, using 4 2xxx series Opterons wouldn't work because they don't have enough communication pathways :(

GlacierFreeze

Golden Member
May 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Maverick2002
What's the advantage of 1 vs 3 HT links? I'm asking about these processors within the scope of using 4 of them on a single board, all linked together via HT for a total of 24 physical cores.

1 link connects to only 1 other processor.

3 links can connect to 3 other processors.

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
Gotcha, thanks! Does anyone know if you could chain a couple of these boards together via Infiniband cards for a total of 48 physical cores?

EDIT: I read that HT3.0 supports up to 8 processors. Does that mean that there's some sort of add-on card or something that lets you connect two boards together for a total of 8 processors?

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Ben90
I wonder if the 2435s are electrically compatible with 8 socket configs; they just arnt "certified"; i bet those two processors are identicals, one just does extra on paper

I believe it works the other way though, doesn't it? You can put a 8xxx series in a 2xxx board. I could be wrong though.

schenley101

Aug 10, 2009
Originally posted by: Maverick2002
Gotcha, thanks! Does anyone know if you could chain a couple of these boards together via Infiniband cards for a total of 48 physical cores?

EDIT: I read that HT3.0 supports up to 8 processors. Does that mean that there's some sort of add-on card or something that lets you connect two boards together for a total of 8 processors?

usually for 8 socket systems you have the motherboard with 4 processors and a cpu daughterboard with the other four.

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
Thanks, but it looks like the board & card you listed don't support Istanbul (8xxx) series processors, according to this: http://www.tyan.com/support_do..._cpu2.aspx?socketid=16

It's also at end of life.

There also doesn't appear to be a daughter card for the 4 socket board which supports the 8xxx series processors. This is the board I would need: http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=638

Interestingly that same graphic only says "8 series dual and quad core" processors, even though the compatibility sheet lists 6-core processors. I'm just trying to come up with the cheapest, most effective way of getting 8 of these 6-core processors together.

gbeirn

Sep 27, 2005
You might want to look into a pre-assembled server from Tyan or Supermicro. Something where you can buy the barebones and install your own RAM and CPUs. It's not going to be cheap any way but at least with the barebones you don't have to worry about chassis mounting and power supplies, which will both be a concern with something like this.