confused about pci express 16 and pci express 16 2.0

jaytone1

Nov 14, 2009
I am somewhat confused as to what I can use in my Dell.
I am currently using what came in it which is a Radeon X300.
I want to upgrade the video card and am confused by the different technologies.
The Dell site says that my video PCI slots are
PCI 2.3
two 120-pin connectors
PCI Express x1
one 36-pin connector
PCI Express x16
one 164-pin connector

I checked Newegg and see that video cards come in PCI express 16 and PCI express 16 2.0
The 2.0 models have more choices
Which of the two technologies can I use, PCI express 16 or PCI express 16 2.0 ?

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
I actually know that Dell and am getting a card to replace that old 300 for my friend. You can use PCI-E 2.0 cards in PCIE 1.0 slots.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
pci-e cards are interchangable backwards and forward, even if they don't fit in the slot, you can cut either the slot or card to make it fit.... which i do not recommend lol

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
pci-e cards are interchangable backwards and forward, even if they don't fit in the slot, you can cut either the slot or card to make it fit.... which i do not recommend lol

Are you for real? D:

Don't go cutting anything...pci-e 1.0 and 2.0 are interchangeable. The only thing you really need to worry about concerning your video card upgrade is whether or not your power supply will be up to the challenge of supplying enough juice for the new card.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Are you for real? D:

Don't go cutting anything...pci-e 1.0 and 2.0 are interchangeable. The only thing you really need to worry about concerning your video card upgrade is whether or not your power supply will be up to the challenge of supplying enough juice for the new card.

Yeah it usually works. Don't quote me on this but I think you can usually cut open a 4x slot and shove a 16x card in there and it will work. Poorly, because it's lost 12 lanes, and possibly short on power cause I'm sure it would be missing some power pins, but I think it works

(disclaimer: don't even think about cutting your motherboard just cause I said I think it would work)

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Are you for real? D:

RELAX GUY, i SAID I DON'T RECOMMEND IT !!!

Phil1977

Dec 8, 2009
Yes this card will work in your machine!

But there are some boot issues with PCIe 1.0 mobos that have a Nvidia chipset board.

What will happen is that it will take very long to post! But it will post eventually and all will work fine.

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
Why are you yelling?

I hadn't even heard about this until now and it sounds ridiculous, hence my reply. Sorry if I offended you...

I agree, unless there's some aspect of the technology that I've never heard about, never under any circumstances do you want to alter a circuit board in the way of cutting off some of the connector pins. This will just ruin the card. Unless I'm misinterpreting what he's saying. PCI-e 1.0 and 2.0 x16 slots are physically pin compatible. This means that the card should work as long as the card physically fits in the slot (at least if it doesn't, it's not an inherent incompatibility issue between the different iterations of PCI-e).

Now, there is a limit on the total number of lanes available to a motherboard. So if you're using enough PCI-e cards such that there aren't 16 lanes available for the graphics card, it will work with what is available, such as how in a lot of SLI/crossfire setups, each card runs at x8. But this is not a physical change and requires no action on your part.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but never under any circumstances should you physically cut the connector pins on any expansion card, if you want it to keep working after the fact.

Last edited:

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I agree, unless there's some aspect of the technology that I've never heard about, never under any circumstances do you want to alter a circuit board in the way of cutting off some of the connector pins. This will just ruin the card. Unless I'm misinterpreting what he's saying. PCI-e 1.0 and 2.0 x16 slots are physically pin compatible. This means that the card should work as long as the card physically fits in the slot (at least if it doesn't, it's not an inherent incompatibility issue between the different iterations of PCI-e).

Now, there is a limit on the total number of lanes available to a motherboard. So if you're using enough PCI-e cards such that there aren't 16 lanes available for the graphics card, it will work with what is available, such as how in a lot of SLI/crossfire setups, each card runs at x8. But this is not a physical change and requires no action on your part.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but never under any circumstances should you physically cut the connector pins on any expansion card, if you want it to keep working after the fact.

lol, you guys are unbelievable. Ofcourse you should never cut your card to make it fit. I was just stating that it was possible and would be perfectly SAFE if you knew what you were doing. It would limit the available lanes to whichever you left and definately loose performance if you reached the bandwith limit. Sorry I stirred up so much trouble