Confused about nVidia Video Cards

mosley

Dec 22, 2003
Hello, I am looking to build a new computer and have some questions about the video card. My last computer had an ATI Radeon video card, but now I have been looking at nVidia. My first question is does nVidia make the GPU, and not manufacture the card itself? For instance, can I buy an nVidia video card? Or is it made by another manufacturer. Because I see MANY different manufacturers for nVidia. Then which one do I go with?

I am thinking about getting an ASUS P5Q motherboard and Intel Q6600 CPU. I dont play games, and I am not into overclocking. I need a computer that will last me a few years, and handle some video encoding and other minor stuff.

Can someone explain the whole nVidia video card thing, and perhaps make a few suggestions?

Thanks

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Nvidia - designs the GPU
TSMC - manufactures the GPU for Nvidia (the GPU core only)
Flextronics and Foxconn - assemble the reference design video cards for Nvidia
Other companies (BFG, EVGA, XFX, etc) - buy reference design video cards from Nvidia and rebadge them OR build their own non-reference cards

I don't see how it matters whether or not Nvidia manufactures their cards in house...the only thing you really should be concerned with are things like price, warranty, bundle, etc.

Btw, you didn't really list a budget for how much you're willing to pay for the new card. And what's your current card, since you aren't gaming anyway?

mosley

Dec 22, 2003
Thanks AmberClad. Yes you are right, it doesnt matter whether or not Nvidia manufactures their cards in house. I was just trying to understand it. I am looking to keep the cost under $200 (if thats possible), and my current card was an ATI 9800 Radeon Pro.

With all the Nvidia manufactures out there where do I begin?

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Any of those three I listed (BFG/EVGA/XFX) would be a safe bet because of the lifetime warranty.

Erm, I have no idea what a suitable video card for video encoding/decoding type tasks would be :eek:. I buy cards primarily with gaming in mind and I automatically assume they'll be capable of media-related tasks. But for your purposes, you don't need anything all that expensive or power hungry. Off the top of my head, a 8500GT would suffice I guess? I dunno...someone help me out here!

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
An ATI videocard would probably be your best bet, depending on how many monitors you want to hook up. The HD3450 256 is like $20-30 and often comes with 1 dvi out and 1 hdmi out. The 512mb models sometimes come with 2 dvi-outs. The HD3650 is slightly more expensive, like $50 and often offers 2 dvi out and hdmi out. Videocards don't really help with video-encoding, there are some efforts right now to make it work, but it's baby steps. I'd just buy a cheap model, since you don't game, and then IF videocards start supporting video encoding, then buy a new one. But that's going to be quite some time ago.

Oh and, if you don't spend $200 on the vidcard, but $30, you can spend some more on the cpu, and get a q9550 instead ;)

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
What programs and what type of video encoding do you do? Formats etc. Because any of the low end Nvidia or ATI cards of the latest gens would do you fine. If you are not into gaming, you do not need to spend anywhere near 200 bucks. Marc's suggestions were fine.
Equivalent Nvidia cards would be fine as well. Now, if you are encoding with certain methods that CUDA supports, then we can talk other options and without the need for a faster CPU.

mosley

Dec 22, 2003
Maybe I should not have said encoding. I do video editing for home movies and such. I was just trying to say what I do with my computer. I use Pinnacle and Adobe (Fireworks/Photoshop/Flash) software. I also do some web design. And if I could keep it around $75 that would be even better.

(BTW - am only looking to hook up one monitor)

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Are you overclocking? If not, go look for a g43 mobo with integrated graphics, and save yourself the hassle :p Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16813131332 No support for HD playback though, if you want to watch HD content on your TV or something!

And I think, but could be wrong, that ATI offers more features on the lower-end, manufactured on a smaller die process, thus less powerhungry, for as far those low-end videocards are powerhungry of course. But things like 7.1 audio over HDMI are things Nvidia doesn't have.

mosley

Dec 22, 2003
MarcVenice - Integrated graphics - Now you threw a monkey wrench into the mix. I wasnt even thinking of that.

No overclocking and I really couldnt care about the sound ( I just hook up one speaker that I usually keep turned off).

What I really want is it to be FAST and not have to upgrade it next year (or even the following year if possible).

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
I think that the Intel GMA 4500 is also AERO capable. Thats most likely the most intensive thing you will be using, and if that's the case, then yes it will be fast enough, and you wont have to upgrade next year. If something ODD happens, you could always buy a $30 discrete graphics card. So you can't really go wrong with it...

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
I think that the Intel GMA 4500 is also AERO capable. Thats most likely the most intensive thing you will be using, and if that's the case, then yes it will be fast enough, and you wont have to upgrade next year. If something ODD happens, you could always buy a $30 discrete graphics card. So you can't really go wrong with it...

yea im gonna have to agree on this. get a cheap mobo with IGP and get yourself a Q9550. they are the same price as the Q9450s now, have a higher clock speed, and because of an expanded SSE set over the Q6600 they are considerably faster in apps like photoshop which support it.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: mosley
I dont play games, and I am not into overclocking. I need a computer that will last me a few years, and handle some video encoding and other minor stuff.

Originally posted by: jaredpace
~$200 try for a 9800gtx, 4850, 4870, gtx260, sli 8800gt

:confused:

Those cards are all total overkill for him; his money would be better spent on a faster processor, as others have mentioned.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Integrated graphics "I would imagine" would be ok for just video editing. Just make sure of one thing, if you're going to use Vista, get yourself 4GB of system memory. The Integrated graphics eats some of that up if you don't get a separate graphics card.

mosley

Dec 22, 2003
Thank you all for your input, I think I am going to get the either integrated graphics or an inexpensive card and use the money on the CPU and RAM.