Confirmed - i9 9900k will have soldered IHS, no more toothpaste TIM

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
So pre-orders got delayed to Oct 31st in some instances?

No commercial availability of chips in Italy until 20th of December 2018?

What is going on? They were supposed to be ready by maybe November. Stockpiling dice and all that.

It's Intel so it's gotta be extreme demand. If it was AMD's product it would be called yield issues most likely....Silly boyz and their toyz!

Reactions: lightmanek

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
So pre-orders got delayed to Oct 31st in some instances?

No commercial availability of chips in Italy until 20th of December 2018?

What is going on? They were supposed to be ready by maybe November. Stockpiling dice and all that.
Nobody needs a 300 watt desktop cpu anyway. :D

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Does anyone know why Intel labeled the 9800X as an i7?

Just marketing, I presume?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
You mean for the 9900K? Yes, if they are legit, the chip is a non-starter.
Why this jump between extremes?!

I honestly don't understand this hype / fud cycle some go through close to a launch, the 9900K is bound to be thermally challenged for a number of outstanding reasons:
  • increase in both core count and frequency
  • core layout, CFL 6C die had 1 pair of inner "hot" cores sandwiched between the 2 pairs of outer "cold" cores, now we likely have 4 inner "hot" cores that are adjacent hence heat each other even more, meaning they become "extra hot" cores
  • diminishing returns on what can further be achieved on he 14nm+*^ bonanza
That doesn't mean it won't be able to clock high with the right cooling capacity in place.

If anything everybody should be thankful these chips are likely thermally limited, it's either that or hitting a clock wall. You can compensate for the former, cannot help the latter.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

xisor

Apr 5, 2010
W5IL2BM.png

cross posting this in this thread because relevant. strap yourselves in boys, the leaks are true, and this is one hot hungry bastard ;)

Stock, not a torture loop, 240mm CLC with pump and fans maxxed out for context.

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
W5IL2BM.png

cross posting this in this thread because relevant. strap yourselves in boys, the leaks are true, and this is one hot hungry bastard ;)

Yikes! Any idea what load this is pushing?

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
W5IL2BM.png

The first red flag I see is how this thing could be runniing at "stock" and consuming 214 watts with no power limit, or current limit throttling. Seriously?

xisor

Apr 5, 2010
Yikes! Any idea what load this is pushing?

its just blender.

The first red flag I see is how this thing could be runniing at "stock" and consuming 214 watts with no power limit, or current limit throttling. Seriously?

no, that actually is stock, with no MCE, in a perfectly normal productivity workload, and package tdp is not power consumption, you've got that mixed up a bit. XTU's stat display there will say no if you aren't throttling due to A. thermals B. Power or C. current, or YES, if you are, that isn't indicating whether or not there is a limit in place at all sir. the 9900k, out of the box, hits 90c+ on a 240mm AIO with fans and pump maxxed out, in a normal workload. As for how much power it's drawing, well, a lot quite frankly. And if you doubt me, you'll find out in a couple of hours won't you?

Reactions: french toast

xisor

Apr 5, 2010
I am skeptical to be honest, but we will see, that would be horrendous if true.

its fine to be skeptical, My report here will be confirmed in a few hours, with such memeworthy review titles such as Who left the 9900k on? to the backdrop of a burning house.;) It's gonna be a fun one for sure, and then we can disect and analyze everything intel did wrong and what the hell is happening in the industry right now with pricing and underbaked rushed products.

Whats the max temp the 9900k supposed to be?

105C is tjmax, but it'll throttle if it hits 100C, but this is too high a temperature for normal operation already, considering its water cooled, and stock, and not a torture test.

Last edited:
Reactions: french toast

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
I don't understand the surprise of the power use of the 9900K at 5GHz blender. The 8086K review already shows that at 5GHz, it uses over 150W :

Ambient%20OC.png

So an equally overclocked 8-core using 1/3rd more power isn't too surprising.

Reactions: IEC

xisor

Apr 5, 2010
Is it a retail cpu or a engineering sample? Would that make a difference?

engineering sample, just like every review sample intel has ever sent out, for every previous generation, and no it wont make much difference at all. hell nvidia's 2070 cards were all engineering samples too, third parties supplied retail cards and the founders card performed exactly the same, so further proof for you.