confirmed amd has delayed sea islands

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I'm not concerned. Nothing comes close to maxing out my 7970, even with eyefinity.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Wow, up until know I had really just took the few comments I had seen with a grain of salt. They are really trying to milk this generation out.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
It's a smart move to coincide with the release of the next gen consoles. PC gamers will feel like they need to upgrade to get the most out of the games being developed for the next console generation.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Couldn't care less...I'm totally happy with my 7950 and don't see a need to upgrade anytime soon. When newer games hit with the new consoles (end of this year), then maybe an upgrade will be required.

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
I am also patient. Very happy with my OCed 7850. Maybe an OCed 7950 is even nicer.................

Last edited:

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
Yeah, agreed no big deal. Southern Islands already provides a ridiculously good price/perf and even more so with Never Settle Reloaded. Continued performance increase through drivers are coming as well so HD7xxx owners will continue to be rewarded.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Well I guess I'll be the first...

Disappointing for sure, any time tech tick tock slows down it's a slowing of progress. The only thing that keeps this industry interesting is progress. The longer 8xxx series is delayed, the longer 20nm will be delayed, disappointing to say the least. Not to mention the great benefits of reduce prices brought on by a new series as well as a large increase in fire sale like used products...

/sadpanda

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Well I am disappointed. This also calls into question how long lasting the 7xx/8xxx generation will be, because the following generation could follow in less than the usual ~1 year and 7xx/8xxx end up being a worse investment. And having waited that long we all know we would get them....

Last edited:

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Well I guess I'll be the first...

Disappointing for sure, any time tech tick tock slows down it's a slowing of progress. The only thing that keeps this industry interesting is progress. The longer 8xxx series is delayed, the longer 20nm will be delayed, disappointing to say the least. Not to mention the great benefits of reduce prices brought on by a new series as well as a large increase in fire sale like used products...

/sadpanda
You don't think this delay may be due to problems with 20nm?

I'm all for tech coming out regularly and all, but unless there is a compelling game or two that's due soon, what would people who have bought a recent GPU, be bothering to upgrade for?

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
You don't think this delay may be due to problems with 20nm?

I'm all for tech coming out regularly and all, but unless there is a compelling game or two that's due soon, what would people who have bought a recent GPU, be bothering to upgrade for?

I have no clue, it could be delayed because AMD needs to clear inventory, it could just be a tactical ploy to deceive Nvidia. The terminology is quite vage, what's "quite some time" in tech terms, 23 minutes?

I don't really put a lot of stock in PR/Sales info, if he said, Oh yeah boi's 8xxx series is coming up fast! He'd basically be saying, don't buy these awesome bundles we're selling, wait for the new and improved cards!

Various reasons, not everyone who upgraded to this gen would switch, but I'd imagine quite a few would. You also have to figure there are many people with older cards waiting, perhaps forever... 9800's are still common as well as 4xxx series, Fermi is still noticeably popular with the mid-range models. Trick is getting them to buy more so than getting current gen owners to imo, since current gen is still lagging behind last gen.

Personally I've been waiting for Haswell and a new gpu since forever, this news is especially disappointing to me I was really hoping for a 8xxx series and 7xx series refresh around Haswell's release so I'd get all new toys :(

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I have no clue, it could be delayed because AMD needs to clear inventory, it could just be a tactical ploy to deceive Nvidia. The terminology is quite vage, what's "quite some time" in tech terms, 23 minutes?

I don't really put a lot of stock in PR/Sales info, if he said, Oh yeah boi's 8xxx series is coming up fast! He'd basically be saying, don't buy these awesome bundles we're selling, wait for the new and improved cards!

Various reasons, not everyone who upgraded to this gen would switch, but I'd imagine quite a few would. You also have to figure there are many people with older cards waiting, perhaps forever... 9800's are still common as well as 4xxx series, Fermi is still noticeably popular with the mid-range models. Trick is getting them to buy more so than getting current gen owners to imo, since current gen is still lagging behind last gen.

Personally I've been waiting for Haswell and a new gpu since forever, this news is especially disappointing to me I was really hoping for a 8xxx series and 7xx series refresh around Haswell's release so I'd get all new toys :(

No Titan for you?

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
There are rumors floating around that the delay may be due to the stolen documents that may have ended up in the hands of NVidia. Obviously roadmaps would have to be adjusted and product stacks altered. That seems the most likely explanation to me. That and the fact that they already have an excellent GPU on the market. Of course there is always the possibility that AMD is sniffing out rats.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
The longer 8xxx series is delayed, the longer 20nm will be delayed

I am more inclined to believe that it's the other way around...that 20nm delays are causing 8xxx delays, going by TSMC's track record. Also, TSMC has other customers besides AMD, so I doubt they are relying solely on AMD to give them a product to fab.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
There are rumors floating around that the delay may be due to the stolen documents that may have ended up in the hands of NVidia. Obviously roadmaps would have to be adjusted and product stacks altered. That seems the most likely explanation to me. That and the fact that they already have an excellent GPU on the market. Of course there is always the possibility that AMD is sniffing out rats.

Dude... this and your assertion that there will be huge driver improvements as well seems fishy to me without a single source. AMD has delivered a very solid product in the 7xxx series and some good driver improvements (but there's probably going to be dimiishing returns with regards to drivers now), and I don't think they need any defense based on what seems like pure fantasy to me.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011

By sinking the very ship? Could be...

That's what my friend did with his boat. Couldn;'t sleep because of the damn mouse nibbling and running through entire night.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
No Titan for you?

Not at $800... I had my heart set on splurging for the first time ever, $400~ for a single card! Yeah, that's unlikely to land me anywhere near a GK110 chip :whiste:

Which is why news like this makes everything worse and worse... The next best thing would have been to grab a highly discounted 7xxx or 6xx product due to a "tick", worked out well for me last time... Seems fate is not smiling upon me this gen :|

I am more inclined to believe that it's the other way around...that 20nm delays are causing 8xxx delays, going by TSMC's track record. Also, TSMC has other customers besides AMD, so I doubt they are relying solely on AMD to give them a product to fab.

I'm confused about the last part, rumors (lol) were saying both Nvidia and AMD, now a single tweet was twisted into basically confirming said rumor. I'm still personally skeptical, that would make 7xxx almost a 2 year cycle, seems incredibly excessive. Let's pretend they went 23 months with 7xxx, how long would they go with 8xxx? I assume we still believe 8xxx will be a 28nm product right? We're into at least late 2014 for 20nm, possibly even longer "delayed"... Seems unrealistic, and dropping 8xxx in late 2013 then quickly bring out 20nm in mid 2014 seems unfathomable, the turn around is way too short.

Call it blowing on the ball, but I really would like to see it keep rolling!

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hmm, NCIX put a whole bunch of 7xxx cards on sale this week. I was thinking they might be clearing Inventory for something new, maybe not. Or, maybe AMD will release a 7xxx refresh of some sort, bumping performance across the line?

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
AMD is bit short on cash to put it mildly. It's not like they can create HD8000 on a whim and out of a thin air.

That being said, new chip design, new graphic card generation... even a refresh is tens if not hundreds of $ worth investment.
And for what? So they can bundle 6 games and hope for few $ IF everything goes well.

As much as I love epic duels between the two companies,
AMD going head to head against NV on consumer graphics, without virtually any traction on PRO market is just tying their already overstretched resources.
AMD needs to rethink whole strategy - YESTERDAY.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Where in the tweet does it say delayed?

Answer: It doesn't. Unless there was a date announced that I missed somewhere.

Edit: Oh, wait, you posted yesterday that they were coming out soon. I see now :colbert:

Last edited:

lilvaratep

Nov 19, 2012
I'm not concerned. Nothing comes close to maxing out my 7970, even with eyefinity.

nothing even comes close to maxing out my 7950 LOL! this thing is beast. max settings on every game i play. including hitman abs, cry3, fc3, skyrim w/ mods and dragonborn, and many more.

Aug 11, 2008

Well, if someone got insider information, I would think you would try to speed up your release to "beat them to the punch" before they could counter your line-up based on the insider information. Dont really know why you would delay your release because someone got information on your roadmaps or whatever.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I wonder if they have something up their sleeve to counter Titan. I may just have an Nvidia top end card in my rig later this month. =)

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Actually, remember that Sapphire slide last year just before the 7970 release that showed a part with something like 2300 shaders but it was crossed out? I wonder if that chip actually exist but was waiting to see the light of day.... speculation ofcourse but wouldn't that be cool?

let me look for that slide...

edit***

That took all of a minute

http://cdn4.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/767ef85f_223709l171y2dy5l70l1jd-635x846.jpg

1000 mhz with a second sku showing 1225mhz
2304 cores

If you look at the top right corner of the pic it looks like it could possibly say suspended, you can read the letters susp, which just means slated for later release I would guess.

Last edited:

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
time for another exercise?

lets see how long it takes you to find AMD shooting down that rumor...
something along the lines of "clever fake"

EDIT: 30secs here :)

Last edited: