confession of an economic hitman

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
anyone else read this book?

I just finished reading it, you guys should pick it up if u have a chance. It is an easy fast and interesting read, revealing a side of the US gov and corporations that is extremely controversial.

SPOILER STARTS HERE:

Basically the author tells the story of his past life as a economic hit man (EHM), he worked as a economist forecaster, forecasting things such as electricity demand, GNP increase, etc in developing countries (Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Ecuador, etc). These developing countries got loans from the world bank or the IMF, to build infrastructure such as power plants, roads, water & electricity system, etc based on the forecast that the author provides. However the forecasts were always over the top, way overestimating the real demand of such needs, so the country is heavily saddled with debt that they could never repay. So in a sense the country is always "indebted" to the US empire. Moreover the contract to build the infrastructure is rewarded to US companies (Bechtel, Halliburton, etc). So the money never really leaves the US.

When the dev. country can no longer repay the debt, the US gov asks payment in other terms such as favorable treatment in oil shipments, oil companies getting rights to extract oil from the country, etc.

Sometimes a dev country refuses to get "help" from the US, when that is the case the jackals come in and assassinate the country's leader. The past leader of Colombia, Torrijos was argued to be killed by the jackals in a private plane crash. If the jackals fail, then the US army will come. A good example is the US invasion of Panama in 1989. The Panama (Canal) treaty was ending and the Panama leader wanted to seize control of the canal and giving the Japanese contract to build a new canal. The US had to use military action.

The author also provides solid reasoning on why the US invaded Iraq. Saddam was given the option similar akin to the Saud family in Saudi Arabia (improved facilities in exchange for oil), but he declined so the US had to invade.

Also Venezuela holds a vast amount of oil, but Hugo Chavez is saved from invasion pretty much by Saddam, since the US chose to invade Iraq instead.

SPOILER ENDS HERE

What do you guys think of the book? Since the US is the only current world power out there do we act similar to the old empires such as the British empire or even the Roman empire?

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Interesting premise but you probably wont find many book readers here.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
Well I read it two years ago so memory fades.

Perkins also talks about it on some TV interview you can find on the web. I've seen it but don't remember where. You might search it out.

He's relating his direct personal experience.

The part about the two heroic men in two Central American countries who were for their people, putting them into opposition to economic interests of USA companies, apparently resulting in them both being murdered, relates to George Bush.

The part about the nefarious training base run by the US in Panama seemed to have been resolved when Prez Carter gave away the canal, but has come back. I understand it's back up pretty much full steam now.

Overall, his writing voice did not resonate with me so I didn't enjoy his style. His content was intended to be shocking, and on that level he fully succeeded, at least with me.

I doubt he will find a big audience. That book has been out long enough that if the issues it brings up were going to surface in newspaper editorials, magazines, political talks, etc. it would have by now. Actually your post is probably the first mention of it I've seen since reading it in early 2005.

Well what can you say? Yes, his fundamental point, that powerful greedy politics do help mess up this world, is irrefutable, but what are you going to do with your one puny vote that somebody may change when they hack the voting machines?

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: scott
Well I read it two years ago so memory fades.

Perkins also talks about it on some TV interview you can find on the web. I've seen it but don't remember where. You might search it out.

He's relating his direct personal experience.

The part about the two heroic men in two Central American countries who were for their people, putting them into opposition to economic interests of USA companies, apparently resulting in them both being murdered, relates to George Bush.

The part about the nefarious training base run by the US in Panama seemed to have been resolved when Prez Carter gave away the canal, but has come back. I understand it's back up pretty much full steam now.

Overall, his writing voice did not resonate with me so I didn't enjoy his style. His content was intended to be shocking, and on that level he fully succeeded, at least with me.

I doubt he will find a big audience. That book has been out long enough that if the issues it brings up were going to surface in newspaper editorials, magazines, political talks, etc. it would have by now. Actually your post is probably the first mention of it I've seen since reading it in early 2005.

Well what can you say? Yes, his fundamental point, that powerful greedy politics do help mess up this world, is irrefutable, but what are you going to do with your one puny vote that somebody may change when they hack the voting machines?

yeah I don't think he is really good writer. He should have someone else wrote it for him and it will be a much bigger hit than it is right now.

why didn't the book create a bigger buzz than it did? is it because the story is too far fetched? No one bought into the story?

Also I am surprised that the book is not yet picked up by the hollywood studios to make a movie out of. IMO the book can translate easily to the big screen.

AZGamer

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
I think the guy is lying - he had some experience selling junk bond style loans and makes himself out to be an international crusader of evil.

It's this simple - the entire premise of credit is the more of a risk you are, as an individual or a country, the higher interest rate you will be charged. If you are unwilling to pay that interest rate, or an uninterested in having a US economic presence in your country, you can do so. North Korea and Cuba have - the question is why would you when you look at the cost?

More like "confessions of a megalomaniac banker who got fired and wants to get people riled up".