Cone Shaped tool For Tightening VGA cables?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Is there something like a metal straw that's 8" or so long that will slide over the screws of a vga cable for tightening/loosening? These cables don't have slots for screwdrivers. They are tucked away where man sized hands can't easily get to them.
I did cut some slots but a tool would be easier.

Obligatory paint drawing.

tool.jpg

Dec 10, 2005
What about a pair of pliers or putting a dent in the top of the cable so you can use a regular screw driver?

Edit:
I guess the pliers would have to be somewhat long if they were going to fit in the space.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I use a tiny pair of needlenose pliers (one straight, one with curved tips). It's a still pain tho.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Use a nutdriver with long sockets? From the drawing, it looks like knurled plastic knobs on the screws.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It's 2015 and people still use VGA cables.

Yeah, crazy isn't it? I just got a shiny new Dell workstation today, and it doesn't have an HDMI port! Just a VGA port and 2 DisplayPort ports. My monitor only does HDMI and VGA, so I'm stuck with VGA.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Yeah, crazy isn't it? I just got a shiny new Dell workstation today, and it doesn't have an HDMI port! Just a VGA port and 2 DisplayPort ports. My monitor only does HDMI and VGA, so I'm stuck with VGA.

Displayport to HDMI adapter! :awe:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
umm every VGA and DVI cable ive ever seen has a slot in it for a standard or Phillips screw driver. just use one of those

and yes at work, nearly every monitor runs on a VGA cable because that's what they have and they work fine. for standard office comps there is no benefit to go to something else

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Is there something like a metal straw that's 8" or so long that will slide over the screws of a vga cable for tightening/loosening? These cables don't have slots for screwdrivers. They are tucked away where man sized hands can't easily get to them.
I did cut some slots but a tool would be easier.

Obligatory paint drawing.

tool.jpg

I just looked at mine and they are all slotted to fit either straight or phillips screwdriver ends. You must need new glasses or higher quality cables. Or you can do as my local fix-it shop does, epoxy hard plastic wire nuts to the ends that would extend past the connector body. As I look through my junk drawer I see used uo Bic pen bodies that could be taken apart and glued on to extend the VGA screws.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
If I epoxied the socket on that might work.
With a selection of english and metric 1/4" drive sockets, you might find one that will be enough of an interference fit to grip well enough to tighten those buggers.

Me, I'd find a young lady with small hands to assist me.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
umm every VGA and DVI cable ive ever seen has a slot in it for a standard or Phillips screw driver. just use one of those

and yes at work, nearly every monitor runs on a VGA cable because that's what they have and they work fine. for standard office comps there is no benefit to go to something else

noslot.jpg

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
lol, great pic.

You could probably find a spark plug boot wrench that would work. Something like this Lisle 52990. But it would probably be cheaper just to cut a slot or get a new cable.

71rAPUizmDL._SX522_.jpg

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

displayport adapts to pretty much anything you want. way better than HDMI.