Condensing dryers suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railgun

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2010
Can't believe I'm posting in this forum. First time for everything.

So, as an American transplant in the UK, I was quick to learn all the wonderful differences and somewhat inconveniences of modern laundry processes here.

In short, given that everyone is in a flat for all intents and purposes, and that there's no room, everyone has a washing machine in their kitchen. Probably 80% of cases, it's simply a washer. No dryer to be seen as 1) there's no room and 2) there's virtually no way to route a vent outside.

Enter condensing dryers.

Fortunatel,y the first flat I moved into had a spot in the bathroom for the thing. I had the landlord remove what was in there in favor of getting my own with a condensing dryer (all in one).

First, the capacity is low. Ok, I can deal with it.

Second, there's no such thing as low and high heat. It's sun, or five miles away from the sun. It cooks the hell out of everything.

There is a need for an iron as it will wrinkle everything. Might as well press it into a small ball.

They break...a lot.

The first issue was the heating element for the water, which of course, causes the thing to not work at all for no reason. I could care less if the water didn't heat for a while...but it breaks the thing full stop.

Second issue, which just happened...the heat cycling of said sun has caused some of the wiring to become very brittle (it's a little over four years old now) and because of that, the wiring for the heating element for the dryer blower came clean off. Not one wire mind you, but both, because where/how it's attached to the drum, it's constantly moving. Did it toss an error from that? Of course not. I'm surprised it didn't trip/short anything.

This mostly applies to those outside of the US of course as I can't recall seeing a single condensing dryer anywhere...ever. Lucky them.

Oh I can't wait to find a proper house...

First world problems, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.