Concert tickets.. highway robbery

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I remember a few years ago Perl Jam made a big deal about those fees, and how if the concert is cancelled you don't get the fees back.

Needless to say, that push fizzled. :(

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: AvesPKS
Yeah, it's like with cellphone plans.

You know, that really bugs the piss out of me. I'm generally against "consumer protection" laws, because I think it's the consumer's responsibility to not be stupid, but they really ought to be required to advertise the true price. Every other industry manages to figure in all of their costs so they make a profit, why should my phone company have to charge me extra for touch-tone dialing?! Why can't they just figure it into the price?

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
$10-15 is about reasonable for the shows I go to. It amazes me that anyone even buys tickets from Ticketbastard.

DPmaster

Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: The_good_guy
ticketmaster is a devil..

someone should call ticketmaster on the antitrust..

i buy stuff at the local store / ticket master outlet and it comes out a bit cheaper.. except for stuff like concerts that are hard to get tickets of.

However i prefer going to non ticketmaster events.

Pearl Jam tried to fight them years ago but the DOJ eventually dropped the case. Seems very few artists are willing to fight due to money concerns.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Back in the good old days we used to sleep out for tickets to popular shows. You could get great seats for face value and it was an all night party. At least when the weather was good. My senior year in high school we used to go to just about every big name show that came around. We'd sleep out, party all night, get the tickets first thing in the morning and then go into school. Didn't get a whole lot of school work done senior year, but had floor seats in the first 10 rows for dozens of concerts.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
$25 for a live concert is cheap. Be thankful. I pay well over twice that to see a decent artist

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
I'm an idiot. Paying $38.50 for a damn show just because a girl wants me to go . I probably won't get laid either.

You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth.

I just bought two Something Corporate+Yellowcard tickets about an hour ago.. why? A girl I'm DATING and that doesn't want to commit yet likes them and I need to try to impress her at least a little bit. There's more but I won't make you suffer.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Geekish Thoughts
I'm an idiot. Paying $38.50 for a damn show just because a girl wants me to go . I probably won't get laid either.

You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth.

I just bought two Something Corporate+Yellowcard tickets about an hour ago.. why? A girl I'm DATING and that doesn't want to commit yet likes them and I need to try to impress her at least a little bit. There's more but I won't make you suffer.

Ouch. At least I'm only paying for mine!

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Back in the good old days we used to sleep out for tickets to popular shows. You could get great seats for face value and it was an all night party. At least when the weather was good. My senior year in high school we used to go to just about every big name show that came around. We'd sleep out, party all night, get the tickets first thing in the morning and then go into school. Didn't get a whole lot of school work done senior year, but had floor seats in the first 10 rows for dozens of concerts.

You must mean the late 70's early 80's , right? Man, I used do that all of the time and get tix in the first 2-5 rows all of the time!

Aside from that, how about the outrageous ticket prices? 300.00 to see the friggin Eagles??? What the hell? 150.00 to see (shudder) Fleetwood Mac? Good God, I remember seeing these groups and paying 10.00 a ticket! Of course that was 20-25 years ago.

I remember seeing the Rolling Stones on their very last tour. Well, if you consider 1983's Tattoo You their last tour. I was FORCED to pay 20.00 in cash for a ticket! The nerve!!!! Anyhoo, it was a stadium affair and I got within about 5 feet if the stage. Sweet.

Edit:

My wife just showed me a list of concerts her office can get seats for and I see that Prince(Who? What? Ack?) is only commanding 100.00 per ticket. You know, that fresh, hip, young dude from Minneapolis whose last hit was, hmmm around 1988??? Unreal.

Peace

Lounatik

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003

i'm going to be in the same situation this summer :frown:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Lounatik

You must mean the late 70's early 80's , right? Man, I used do that all of the time and get tix in the first 2-5 rows all of the time!

Yeah, mid 80's. Used to be great sleeping out. We'd grab our sleeping bags, a cooler full of beer and go. It was like a block party, everyone had booze or more intoxicating substances. There was usually a McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts or all-night diner within walking distance, so food was never a problem. A lot of times the sleep out was better than the show itself. That was definitely true of the Grateful Dead. I'm just a moderate dead fan and didn't find the show all that thrilling, sleeping out for tickets was an entirely different story. Man, Dead fans love to have a good time and are VERY GENEROUS when it comes to sharing their party supplies. A sleepout on a warm night was a guarantee of a good time and great seats, always 1st 10 rows floor center. Then Ticketmaster came along and ruined the whole thing.

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Then Ticketmaster came along and ruined the whole thing.

Yep, I remember when the local record stores used to be the ones to hammer away at the keyboard tring to be the first ones into the system to get the good seats. You could only get the tickets through record stores back then too. The best part of getting good seats was when they went on sale during the week; most kids wouldnt be allowed to camp overnight and that pretty much assure you of getting prime seats. Oh, what memories!!!

Peace

Lounatik

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
I seriously don't know why Ticketmaster hasn't been nailed with an antitrust lawsuit yet. Honestly, how many concerts not done in parking lots and frat houses are there that you can go to without having to buy a ticket from Ticketmaster?

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Originally posted by: Lounatik

Yeah, mid 80's. Used to be great sleeping out. We'd grab our sleeping bags, a cooler full of beer and go. It was like a block party, everyone had booze or more intoxicating substances. There was usually a McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts or all-night diner within walking distance, so food was never a problem. A lot of times the sleep out was better than the show itself. That was definitely true of the Grateful Dead. I'm just a moderate dead fan and didn't find the show all that thrilling, sleeping out for tickets was an entirely different story. Man, Dead fans love to have a good time and are VERY GENEROUS when it comes to sharing their party supplies. A sleepout on a warm night was a guarantee of a good time and great seats, always 1st 10 rows floor center. Then Ticketmaster came along and ruined the whole thing.

Those days are LONG gone... you are lucky if you can even GET a ticket for most popular shows these days. With TicketMaster's bullshit, and their terrible method of distributing tickets, almost ALL of the good/decent tickets are sold to corporations and brokers before the common folk can even get any.

Case in point: I logged on to get Jimmy Buffett tickets last saturday at 10:00 am, when they go on sale. I sat there for a while refreshing until it was open. 10 seconds after they went on sale (according to their own clock), the only seats that were left were lawn. This wasn't a small venue either... Alpine Valley WI.. huge outdoor music center. Logged onto a broker site about an hour later, at least 100 of the best seats were on sale for upwards of $700 each. And every year, you can see the whole front section packed with corporate people (you can tell because they don't care that they are there really).

This happens every year with many major groups... it's sick.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: beatle
I seriously don't know why Ticketmaster hasn't been nailed with an antitrust lawsuit yet. Honestly, how many concerts not done in parking lots and frat houses are there that you can go to without having to buy a ticket from Ticketmaster?

What would the antitrust lawsuit be for? Monopoly?

I got my ticket from Star Tickets.