Concerns over too LOW total cholesterol?

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I am 31, male, in good shape, exercise daily, eat ok, 5'10" and ~160lbs.

Got a health screening at work where they take blood and test for the usual. Everything was normal (besides blood pressure being 81 diastolic, should be under 80), and my total cholesterol was 122. According to the pamphlet, normal range is between 125 and 199. Here are the numbers...

Total cholesterol - 122
HDL - 53
Triglycerides - 62
LDL - 57
Non-HDL - 69
Total chol/HDL ratio - 2.3
Fasting glucose - 90

I guess I can work on getting my HDL up, that would help bring up the total cholesterol, correct? Or are my levels fine as they are, and I shouldn't worry about it?

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Cholesterol looks fine. The human body will make all the cholesterol we need. Some people are genetically predisposed to low cholesterol and may need to add dietary cholesterol. Some people are genetically predisposed to high cholesterol, and they should change their diet and possibly take drugs to lower it. A LDL of between 50 and 70 is ideal. the HDL will take care of itself and isn't a concern since it is the LDL that is the main metric to worry about. You don't need to get HDL up if ldl is low.

If you are eating lots of red meats and processed foods and are not on cholesterol-lowering medication then I would talk to my doctor as that seems pretty low for someone eating the standard american diet indicating a genetic component.

Reactions: whm1974

ASK THE COMMUNITY