Conan in trouble

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: conjur
"I only know French for 'I surrender'"

Yeah...that was funny as hell!!

"Are you a separatist? Yes? Listen...do you hear that? That's the sound of no one giving a sh!t!"

Hi-larious.
rolleye.gif

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
"The Celine Dion Sucks" street is funny because it's just ripping into one person but "quebecqueer street" and "rue des pussies" isn't funny unless you're a 12 year old kid and is pretty offensive in my book although I personally couldn't care less what Triumph says. Don't you think the reaction would have been pretty similar if some French comic visiting the 'States had passed a similar comment about Americans?

Are you kidding? Say anything negative about America and you are a treasonous knave, worse than Osama bin Laden, and your music gets boycotted. Then again, criticism of America is real, and therefore intolerable, unlike petty insults by Conan.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
If every reacted in a manner that those "Quebecqueers" did, I think Conan's apology line would be endless! His show insults so many people of all flavors. They should have known better than to invite Conan and his crew over to Quebec had they truly known his style of comedy. NBC shouldn't return the money because they paid and received the service. NBC has every right to keep the money if the contract doesn't state satisfaction guaratee. :p

iliopsoas

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: CraigRT
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
You know what? Fvck Canada... Conan's probably never going to bother booking there again... Their loss, us New Yorkers don't mind seeing his show live...

it's only a few hour drive from South Western Ontario, I can do that too :p

no, you should stay in Ontario. don't come over.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Quebec seperatists do suck. Canadians love Conan, its just the government people saying bad things about him.

The entire audience booed when he mentioned quebec...

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
It was a very lame skit. The only funny part was the one in the resturant. I mean, mindless bashing is always easy, making people laugh is hard.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
its funny because if you watch any of the canadian comedy shows (i love monday report) they pull crap like this all the time and nobody gets upset.. but then again, its one thing to make fun of your own then to have americans pointing and laughing.

i bet if it came from a show that wasn't american they wouldn't have gotten upset.

damn americans. :p

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
"I only know French for 'I surrender'"

Yeah...that was funny as hell!!

"Are you a separatist? Yes? Listen...do you hear that? That's the sound of no one giving a sh!t!"

Hi-larious.
rolleye.gif

It really was :D

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: GreenGhost
If only the offensive jokes were funny... I don't see how anyone older than 13 can find his stuff funny.

Ya, seriously. I mean why would anybody have a since of humor. Its far better to act like a stuck up little bitch and act like everything is below you.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
that is, but what about "celine dion sucks street"
"quebecqueer street"
that's blatantly making fun of Quebec and its people, and it's not right.
Oh come on, that's funny :) If you weren't quebecen (are you?) you'd probably chuckle ;)

no, i'm not...and i thought it was funny as hell... but the fact is, it's not acceptable for him to come to canada and do it.... seriously.

But wasn't Conan in Toronto? I was under the impression that most of Canada feels that way about Quebec?

Metalloid

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: pulse8
Alexa McDonough, a legislator for the left-leaning New Democrats, described the program as "racist filth" and "utterly vile" and demanded the government seek the return of the C$1 million subsidy.
psssh...

What's that? Like $10?

:p

lol I knew that was coming...

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: DurocShark
But wasn't Conan in Toronto? I was under the impression that most of Canada feels that way about Quebec?
We're sick of their successive whiny governments who insist on special treatment and cash, yes. We're sick of the minority of Quebecers who figure separating from the rest of Canada in a pathetic attempt to insulate their culture is a good idea, yes. But most of us have no problem with Quebecers at large. Montreal for instance is a city that all North Americans should experience.

Lizardman

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2001
Originally posted by: DBL
So...it's ok for Canadians to make fun of Quebec but a comic CHARACTER on a talk-show can't???

:confused:

Damn French.

there was some pretty bad stuff said..
it was definitely unacceptable..

So change the channel. Someone is always offended by anything.

dumbass.

Dumbass!

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
i don't like most "immature" comedy but i really do think triumph is pretty funny, and the canada thing was no exception. his interview on PBS with Terry Gross was hilarious.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
btw I think that if the American gov't paid for a show to come, and all it did was rip on a state, they'd have to apologize, whether they privately laughed or not.

Heh, wrong.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: shenaniganz
Originally posted by: Aquaman
Anyone vid cap that yet?

Cheers,
Aquaman

Yes, it was in another thread today... I'll try to find it. Oh, btw, I couldn't get the video to work, just sound, but maybe that's fixed now.

well, I got it to work straight-off, but WHY DID YOU BRING THIS THREAD BACK?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Balt
btw I think that if the American gov't paid for a show to come, and all it did was rip on a state, they'd have to apologize, whether they privately laughed or not.

Heh, wrong.

yup, if you pay for a show without knowing what your getting its your own damn fault if things don't come out the way you imagined it. plain ignorance, conan is known for being raunchy, its no damn secret. triumph trashes americans in all his other bits, but attack the french...oh too far...:p and i thought canada was more progressive:p bah, they taking a page from the puritanical oversensitive numbnuts bent outa shape over janets boob. i guess they were feeling left out.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
conan roxor canada needs to chill

the triumph episode at the star wars premier was a freakin mazing

best ever

download it now