Computers and airport security

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
I have a SFF that im taking to college and i have it in a special travel bad. I was wondeirng during airport security if i have to take it out of the bag like laptops.

Also im transporting my LCD in my luggage thats being checked in. WIll the temperatures in the luggage area affect it at all?

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Yes. All electronics will need to be taken out and placed in the plastic bin for scanning.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Actually with a SFF you don't have to. It's usually the battery that they are concerned about in laptops and camcorders, that's why they ask you to take it out. I've taken a Shuttle SS51G on many times and have only been asked to have it checked once or twice. I don't take it out because it's pretty heavy and a pain to organize things properly in my bag (one of those rolling caryons) once it's out so I take the chance that they will want to see it.

And I check my NEC LCD around all the time too and don't have a problem with it. Make sure to pack it nicely, I use the original box and a hard shell suitcase.

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
I had to check mine. They asked if I had a laptop and I said, "No, but I have a computer." They told me to take it out, so I put it in the bin.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JetBlack69
I had to check mine. They asked if I had a laptop and I said, "No, but I have a computer." They told me to take it out, so I put it in the bin.

If you ask, they'll pretty much tell you to take anything out.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
I took an entire system (minus the case) through the scanners in June, 2002 and all they asked was to put it through in my carry-on bag.

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
When I took my laptop through they made me take it out of the case I had it in and put it through seperatly in a bin through the scanner. Damn did I watch that thing the whole time to make sure no one roughed it up or tried to take it. In the process of all this work with my laptop, I left my bag about 50 feet before the scanners. Luckily, someone said, "Is this someones bag??" .. Whew.

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
They'll probably request that you take it out and put it in a bin.

I recommend carrying on your LCD. I doubt the temperature would have a great effect.... but LCDs can suffer a lot of problems if they take a serious hit (the least of which is dead pixels), and baggage handlers generally aren't too careful.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
My cousin flew his SS51G from the U.S. to Spain with no problem the just opened the bag and looked at it. The didn't make him remove it.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
I shipped my whole system (INCLUDING CASE) but no monitor on a coast-coast flight. I disassembled the computer but left the mobo mounted on, wrapped each perpherial in bubble wrap and taped it (CPU/Memory/NIC/soundcard/GPU). I took these carefully in my carry on. The case/mobo I checked into luggage. They asked me what was inside, I said computer parts, I showed them and I was let in.

Simon

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
I, like others, took apart my computer, took the parts with me, and put the case in luggage (but I did take my monitor as a second carry on). Everything turned out fine. The guys didn't even have to search my bag; I had to take everything out because it was all in anti-static bags and I'm guessing that blocks something cause the guy was like, take out all the electronics and put them through separately. Nobody so much as touched the parts. The case had a small dent in it somehow, not a big deal tho.

ASK THE COMMUNITY