Computerized starters in F1 and the Monaco GP

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What are your opinions on the new tech in F1? I have always loved F1 because of the technological freedom the teams have, but is this going to far?

*spoiler* How about DC! Starting last and still finishing 5th! I was happy to see JV finish 4th but I still think he should leave BAR unless they get their act together... otherwise it wasn't that exciting of a race though :(... maybe I should have taped it instead of getting up at 4:30am this morning to watch it :p.

thereds

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2000
I don't see whats wrong with that. Technology always has and always will be a part of F1 and that is what makes it great. Stock car racing suck, IMO.

I miss Damon Hill. :(

Javelin

Oct 13, 1999
Boring race but then again Monaco is always like this. No overtaking whatsoever. I don't like traction control(or launch control as they call it), and in an ideal world F1 wouldn't have it. But since many teams were alledgedly cheating with TC in the past and detection has become near impossible, FIA had no choice but to bring it back.

As for the race, a disaster for the Macs and a gift for Ferrari. Its a shame Hakkienen retired, I thought it would have been a good scrap at the top. Good drive by DC to salvage what he could. I've been waiting for quite a while for BAR to get its act together... its really too bad JV's talents are being wasted there. But I don't know where else he can go next year.

Handle

Oct 16, 1999
I think there are two options... either go with antiquated cars with full manual gearboxes, full manual steering, full manual everything... or you do what they did and allow just about anything electronically (automatic shifting, launch and traction control etc.) The problem was that there was alleged rampant cheating before, and by legalizing just about everything, at least everyone can be reasonably sure that they are all competing on a level playing field.

And yes, Jacques Villeneuve is wasting away at BAR. I want him winning races! NOW!!!

Oh, and Javelin, launch control != traction control. Launch control is what they have at the start, whereas traction control is what they use during the race. I am under the impression that they are two different systems, and apparently, a lot of teams have been having massive problems with the launch control.

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
JV is best friends with Craig Pollack I believe (or at least really good friends). He won't leave BAR unless Craig does. Their team budget is higher than McLaren's. So it's not money that is the problem. The team just needs better engineers and a damn better engine. If BAR was BMW-powered...then I'd say both JV and Panis would be on the podium quite frequently.

But BAR is a lot better than it was. Consider that JV has been driving with a bad back and if puts everything into context. If Williams can get their act together for Montreal and actually finish their racers, and if McLaren can actually launch both of their cars, I don't expect BAR to place in the top 5 in Montreal. But anything can happen in F1!

BAR has really lucked out - gained points positions through retirements of cars ahead of them. But at least they have a reliable setup - something you can't say for Williams and even McLaren.

Edit
Javelin, I also mistook launch control for traction control. Launch control uses traction control but it involves some other methods too. I think launch control accepts grip parameters for the track and uses that to calibrate the system, whereas traction control simply detects wheelspin and reacts accordingly. The problem with Coulthard was that apparently the launch control system detected an unknown parameter and consequently shutdown.

-GL

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I can't wait until the Canadian GP... I am curious about the Moscow GP which will be coming to F1, does anyone have any idea what the track is going to be like?