[ComputerBase] Pascal is ahead of Vega in Wolfenstien's 2 worst case scenarios

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
One thing as well, is that the higher presets seem to have a greater performance impact on Vega than they do on the GTX 1080, likely due to NVidia's superior color compression:

ioyL2x.jpg

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
"Worst case scenario" is the type of the benchmark that ComputerBase used. Stop crying.
I remember some people crying like small babies when ryzen 1800x was tested in bf1 back april by computerbase and showed the 7700k tanking below the 40fps while the ryzen was way above 60fps worst case. The crying wouldnt stop until 8700 arived. The exuses was all over and i even got a personal stalker.

Ofcource we need those test because they reflect real world gaming and computerbase just delivers. But instead i have seen this api dx9 wrapped in dx11/12 bm nonsense for years with meaningless averages with the most avid supporter here.

So nice we have seen the new enthusiasm for real world game testing. Perhaps people will start to look more at raw cpu/gpu output as a better indicator of future performance than a monster gpu pulling a dx9 derivative game in 1080p.

Reactions: kawi6rr and .vodka

kondziowy

Feb 19, 2016
Looks to be an issue w/ sub 6gb vram cards and some massive utilization issues for Fury X.
I agree, game needs 6GB Vram on ultra settings.

RX580 8GB is 50% faster than RX570 4GB. Pcgameshardware and gamegpu both show the same.
R9 390 8GB is 50% up to 100% faster than GTX970 4GB (e.g. Computerbase demanding test sequence over 100% in 1440p).

4GB cards no longer can run ultra details in many games.

Reactions: ZGR

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009

RX580 8GB is 50% faster than RX570 4GB. Pcgameshardware and gamegpu both show the same.
R9 390 8GB is 50% up to 100% faster than GTX970 4GB (e.g. Computerbase demanding test sequence over 100% in 1440p).

Meh. Can anyone on this planet tell the difference from high to ultra textures while playing? I literally dont even bother to flip the switch for textures even though i have the space for it.

dogen1

Oct 14, 2014
Meh. Can anyone on this planet tell the difference from high to ultra textures while playing? I literally dont even bother to flip the switch for textures even though i have the space for it.

I'm pretty sure in this game the "texture quality" setting essentially just sets the size of the memory allocated for streaming. It being called image streaming kinda hints at that. It's not just a global texture quality switch. The difference between settings is probably less pronounced because of that.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Looks like the game runs well on all hardware above 6GB VRAM. I would easily argue Vega 64 is about equal to the 1080 ti here.

Now I want to see some Max OC benchmarks. I'll probably be picking this game up to play at 4k60 and it looks like I just have to lower my settings down to high for a solid 60. Amazing that this crappy 1070 will be a 4k GPU for this long LOL.

Oh, keep in mind NO AIB VEGA YET. Not a single Open Air variant of Vega which we desperately need. That will really boost up the clocks.

pj-

May 5, 2015
i might be in a particularly light area but im getting 120-140fps at 1440p with "mein leiben" preset on my OC'd pascal titan x

geoxile

Sep 23, 2014
One thing as well, is that the higher presets seem to have a greater performance impact on Vega than they do on the GTX 1080, likely due to NVidia's superior color compression:

Why is bandwidth the culprit here? Wouldn't geometry be the more obvious problem considering GCN has historically had a problem with geometry rich scenes? Tessellation was a huge weakness and still a sore spot, but a measly 4 geometry engines seems archaic

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
"NVIDIA is working on a Game Ready driver for Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus to provide the best possible gaming experience and we intend to post the driver early next week. In the interim, we're making a hotfix driver available which has a key stability fix for certain Kepler-based GPUs..."

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4575

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Why is bandwidth the culprit here? Wouldn't geometry be the more obvious problem considering GCN has historically had a problem with geometry rich scenes? Tessellation was a huge weakness and still a sore spot, but a measly 4 geometry engines seems archaic

Because the shadow quality increases the most. The "Mein Leben" setting in fact significantly increases shadow quality, while appearing not to affect other aspects.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
BTW, how on Earth do you take screenshots in this game? I thought print screen would work, but all I get are black pictures. :confused:

Besides that, this game is incredible so far, and I highly recommend it for anyone that loves shooters. Amazing graphics and detail, and the texture quality and overall IQ is big jump over Doom, which implies that the engine has definitely been upgraded since Idtech 6 made its debut last year.

ElsayedAli

Oct 26, 2017
"NVIDIA is working on a Game Ready driver for Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus to provide the best possible gaming experience and we intend to post the driver early next week
That was expected of course, This very well could turn into a Forza 7 situation
I would easily argue Vega 64 is about equal to the 1080 ti here.
Not according to GameGPU or PCGH or even ComputerBase. The 1080TI is at least 15% faster.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
I didn't compare every card and every resolution between worst case and demanding case.

However, the 1080 does substantially worse at 99th percentile 3840x2160 in demanding case than worse case. The 64 does slightly better.

So is it really accurate to say the worst case is really the worst case?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Bought this game last night. Will play tonight and looking forward to it. Should be some good fun. Looking forward to the story and I'm sure it will run fine. I did hear about some crash issues though.
I don't like to see Vega like this. No one takes the cards seriously and no one would consider buying them for gaming. Miners yeah, I guess, but these aren't viable gaming cards and they totally failed. That hurts. Hurts like hell. AMD can't afford this crap, not at all. They make some progress with Ryzen and take a step back with Vega. Very disappointed. I mean the cards perform OK-ish, but the price, power and release date are all fails.

Ozzyrulez

Mar 21, 2017
The game looks like it runs well on most hardware, no surprise really because we know how Doom was. However this was being touted as the game that would showcase Vega's technological superiority by the fanboys. Honestly I think that is what makes threads like this happen, rabid fanboys.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Bought this game last night. Will play tonight and looking forward to it. Should be some good fun. Looking forward to the story and I'm sure it will run fine. I did hear about some crash issues though

Haven't had a single crash since I've had it. Just make sure that you have the hotfix drivers 388.10 installed, until they release the game ready drivers early next week. Performs and looks amazing though. It gets rid of the nasty artifacts and dithering (especially on reflections) that was in Doom so the overall image quality is MUCH cleaner looking.

Also the frame rate cap is completely gone in WTNC, unlike Doom which had a 200 FPS cap.

Reactions: moonbogg

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
oh well thread already starting good. watch amd deliver a new driver that fixes the worst case scenario ;)
You'd think by now we wouldn't make these threads. I always view these types of threads as a person trying to push a narrative. Game specific benches that have GPUs inexplicably doing way better than the competition ALWAYS are posted.
We all know updates are coming, but it's as if people HAVE to say
"Wow, my favorite GPU brand is doing SO WELL!!!!"
even though we know it's not really the case.

The funny thing is there are actually better relevant GPU topics for general discussion that we could have, but instead we focus on these narrative like topics.

Reactions: Headfoot

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You'd think by now we wouldn't make these threads. I always view these types of threads as a person trying to push a narrative. Game specific benches that have GPUs inexplicably doing way better than the competition ALWAYS are posted.
We all know updates are coming, but it's as if people HAVE to say
"Wow, my favorite GPU brand is doing SO WELL!!!!"
even though we know it's not really the case.

The funny thing is there are actually better relevant GPU topics for general discussion that we could have, but instead we focus on these narrative like topics.

Agreed, just like the forza thread.

But like i mentioned above even fanboy started narrative pushing threads can have useful data. Fanboys push narratives for sure but raw data is raw data, and if it can be verified as accurate then it can be useful.

Reactions: amenx
Status
Not open for further replies.