Computer won't turn on, dead power supply?

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by Xoleros, May 20, 2012.

1. Xoleros

Xoleros Junior Member

Hi there,

So I build my computer (first time) a couple of days ago, everything worked fine for about 4 days until today.

When I press the power button nothing happens.
    There is on small led light that turns on when I plug in the power supply though, it's from the LAN port.

So my question, is my power supply dead? I think it is, but I might be wrong? (maybe it's the motherboard?)

Some info, if that helps any:
    PSU - Corsair TX750M
    Motherboard - ASRock Z77 Extreme4

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Computer turn dead Forum Date
    Weird power issues - computer won't turn off Computer Help Sep 27, 2016
    Computer Will Not Turn On Computer Help Jul 4, 2016
    Old Computer Intermintently Turning Off Computer Help Apr 29, 2016
    So the power to my computer goes dead shortly after I turn it on... Computer Help Sep 3, 2008
    Computer turns on for 3-4 seconds and then turns off (dead CPU?) Computer Help May 22, 2008

3. ericloewe

ericloewe Senior member

LAN ports usually only light up if they're connected AND they're powered.

That means that at least the 5VSB rail is working.

You could try a number of things:

- Check if the power button cable is still connected to the motherboard. If not, connect it.

- Check if the computer powers up when you short the power button pins on the motherboard (check your manual for pwr+ and pwr- or something of the sort). If that works, you probably have a bad case. Return it.

-If that didn't work, take out the PSU's 24-pin connector and short the green wire with any black wire. If it starts working, your problem is probably your motherboard. If not, it's your PSU.

4. Xoleros

Xoleros Junior Member

Thank you for the help!
    Before I posted I had already checked if the power button cables where connected, also the motherboard has an onboard power button so I pressed that one also, no response.

Shorted the power button pins but that didnt work either.

Took out all the power supply wires and only left some fans connected to the psu, shorted the green wire with a paperclip to a black wire next to it, connected the psu and pressed the button to switch it on.. No response.
    Conclusion: Dead Power Supply :(

Again thanks for helping out

5. billyb0b

billyb0b Golden Member

well a dead PSU is an easier fix than a dead mobo.

6. ericloewe

ericloewe Senior member

Considering it's all new stuff, it's down to the time wasted on disassembly, and a motherboard really is the most irritating to remove and put back in place

7. jjsbasmt

jjsbasmt Senior member

One last thing to try - remove power from the wall, remove battery back up from motherboard and or short the jumpers to reset the BIOS. I've seen that work on some systems.

8. baha69

baha69 Junior Member

Whenever I get a computer from a customer with this problem I run down this list on eagerdepot.com. It's usually running before I reach the bottom. Good luck!