Computer won't turn on after moving overseas -- is it my mobo or something else?

floydtheduck

Jun 6, 2013
I just moved from the US to Germany and now my computer won't power up.

Specs:
PSU: Corsair CX750M (rated 110-240v w/Active PFC)
Mobo: Asrock Fatality AB350
CPU: Ryzen 1600X
GPU: RTX 2070 Super
SSD x1 + HDD x3

I bought a new power cable (with EU plug). Checked that everything was seated correctly, plugged in the PSU, hit the power button... no dice.
I confirmed the outlet works.
I rechecked the connections and noticed that if the ATX power connection is loose, the fans will run and the power LED will flash on and off. However, when it's securely connected/pushed all the way in, power switch doesn't work, no LED's emit, and the fans don't budge.

I bought a new PSU and connected it up and same thing -- no power (however in this case, a loose/wiggling the ATX cable doesn't do anything).

I tried unplugging all HDD's, extra PCI cards, etc. to see if I could at least get the mobo + fans to power, but no dice there either.

Would this be a short in the mobo? Or something else? Any feedback is appreciated.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Maybe something came loose during shipping?

You might want to take the motherboard out of the case, and put it on a non-conductive surface like wood (or cardboard). Reseat the CPU, and try booting to see if maybe the motherboard moved slightly and was shorting on a stand-off or something.

floydtheduck

Jun 6, 2013
Thanks. I've reseated the connections, but hadn't thought about the motherboard getting loose during shipment and shorting on the case. Come to think of it, I noticed minor damage on the corner of the case indicating it got dropped pretty hard, so that's very possible... I'll give that a shot.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thanks. I've reseated the connections, but hadn't thought about the motherboard getting loose during shipment and shorting on the case. Come to think of it, I noticed minor damage on the corner of the case indicating it got dropped pretty hard, so that's very possible... I'll give that a shot.
Overseas shipping can be rough, so it could be your PC was dropped in transit.

I've been there, done that. :)

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Old second-hand knowledge but I'm under the impression that auto-switching gear can sometimes fail to switch.

I once plugged a PC PSU set to 110V into UK mains (~230V) and it made a light farting noise like a brief note of sad trombone.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Shipped systems rarely make it okay to the other side unless they're a pre-built and are packaged very well. If you can see visible damage, there's a good chance something broke pretty bad. :(

floydtheduck

Jun 6, 2013
Just an update -- turned out to be the motherboard. Replaced PSU and no dice, replaced motherboard and that fixed it (even with original PSU). Thanks all for the replies and tips.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Just an update -- turned out to be the motherboard. Replaced PSU and no dice, replaced motherboard and that fixed it (even with original PSU). Thanks all for the replies and tips.

For future moves, I'd disassemble the system down to components and pack them separately and securely. Shipping an assembled system (especially one with a heatsink installed) will flex the motherboard umpteen times as they throw and kick the box all over the place in shipment and likely destroy it. Plus, shipping a board with a CPU installed is just asking for trouble anyway....

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
When I was overseas, I shipped my PC through the post office instead of having it shipped with my household goods. It arrived just fine doing it this way, but this was also back when CPU coolers and GPUs were significantly smaller and lighter (AMD K6-2, Nvidia TNT2 days).

If I had to ship one now, I'd remove things like the GPU, CPU, and cooler and package them in their own little boxes just to be safe.

floydtheduck

Jun 6, 2013
For future moves, I'd disassemble the system down to components and pack them separately and securely. Shipping an assembled system (especially one with a heatsink installed) will flex the motherboard umpteen times as they throw and kick the box all over the place in shipment and likely destroy it. Plus, shipping a board with a CPU installed is just asking for trouble anyway....

I did take out the GPU, but I didn't think about the heat sink... good point.

I did ship with USPS, though. I have insurance on it, so hoping they'll accept my claim for my replacement motherboard... we'll see.

Thanks again all who contributed feedback!

Reactions: UsandThem