Computer wont start, put together brand new...

RussellOrtego

Jun 21, 2009
Alright...
Well, i posted earlier about a budget build with good parts and got one, i will have links to the new parts i purchased at the bottom of the page if that will help you help me.
As i said before, i built this computer, received the parts today, and it starts for a second, the power supply light stays on the the whole time (the button light) that it is plugged in, but the start button lights etc. start up for about a second and turn off, i also hear this high pitched whining sound coming from my power supply when it is plugged in and the switch is on the on position. When i turn off the power supply, the whining sound stay there for about 5 seconds and then goes so i am assuming that that is the fan (probably wrong). The specs of my computer are: A few of the parts are old, and i will list which ones are...
Athlon 64x2 5600+ 2.81ghz never over clocked (old).
OCZ Fatal1ty 2x2gb 1066 mhz pc2 8500 (new).
OCZ StealthXStream 500 watt power supply (new).
Gigabyte ati radeon 4650 1gb ddr2 came overclocked to 650mhz (new).
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200 rpm, 16 mb cache 3gb/s internal hard drive (new).
ECS GF8100VM-M3 AM2+ NVIDIA GeForce 8100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (new).
Thermaltake V9 Black Edition ATX Computer Gaming Chassis with Dual Oversized 230mm Ultra-Silent Cooling Fans VJ400G1N2Z Mid Tower (new).

I tried different ram already, and am not sure about the rest of the computer parts, i just put it together today. I am like 99% sure the processor is working because i had it in a build not too long ago, i tried making the build work without the video card and it didn't help, i tried un-plugging all the fans and dvd drives etc. and leaving the bare essentials and it didn't work. I have been waiting to get this computer for a long time, and am seriously bummed out, if you have any suggestions let me know;
Thanks for your help, as always,
Russell.

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...el-_-Content-_-text-_-

Hard drive:

Motherboard:

Ram:

Video Card:

Power Supply:

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
i am assuming that that is the fan (probably wrong)

Yeah, you're probably wrong. Easy way to find out is to stop the fan from spinning with something similar to an eraser end of a pencil.

PSU whine is usually caused by its coils...meaning, you got a bum unit. However, it can also be caused by bad (or reversed) capacitors on the mobo...and I see that you bought an ECS, so there's another good possibility. Even improper power to the video card can cause it.

But I digress...since the system runs for all of a few seconds on power-up, and the whine is present for several seconds without power, the most-likely culprit is the PSU.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I think other people have complained about some OCZ PSUs whining.

Did you plug in the auxiliary power (either square 4-pin or an 8-pin) to the motherboard? Have you tested it outside the case (sitting on mobo box)?

RussellOrtego

Jun 21, 2009
Well, i did plug it in right, but i don't know what you mean by saying testing it outside the case. How would i do that? Also, i disconnected the video card and then tried and it still didn't work.
Thanks,
Russell

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Short the green wire to any black wire on the mb connector of the psu. It should start. Multi-meter for more tests.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Does anything happen when you press the power switch? If not it could be that the jumper (bundle of wires with connector on end running from front panel of case) isn't plugged into the motherboard correctly. If this is your first build it is a common problem many first timers have.

If that isn't it, then take everything out and start over again. Be sure the Aux plugs are all plugged in.

As for the whine, that doesn't sound right. Personally I'd ditch the OCZ and get a Corsair.

elconejito

Dec 19, 2007
www.harvsworld.com
Ugh, sorry I feel your pain. **exact** same thing happened to my brother last year when he put his build together. I tried to help him out long distance (he's in college in another state) and it was his first build. I told him "don't worry it's EASY!"........ and then it won't start.... Major bummer.

Turned out it was the PSU. I'd ordered him a nice Corsair (550w?) and I thought "surely it can't be the PSU". His also made a slight whine, and it had a *very slight* dent in it, but the box was pristine. So we joked it was manufacturer cosmetics. RMA'd the mobo instead... same problem. Boots up for a split second then goes right back off. Tried a new PSU and voila! Instantly up and running.

If you have another PSU lying around I'd test with that. As long as it's a solid brand, you shouldn't need that many watts until you start overclocking.

RussellOrtego

Jun 21, 2009
Well,
Thanks again, i will try it with the different psu, i think i have an old 300watt lying around, and will post my reply after i get back from football practice,
Thanks again,
Russell

RussellOrtego

Jun 21, 2009
Alright,
Well, i tried it with a different power supply, and the same thing happened, except no whine... The processor fan started for a split second, then turned off, as with the OCZ psu. I am thinking that it is the mobo's fault, as i have tried different ram, and a different power supply with the same results... Any suggestions? I wanna get my comp started so i can start gaming, when school starts, gotta start working hard again+football season=no time... Well, give me any suggestions you have and let me know,
Thanks for your help, as always,
Russell.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Double check the clear CMOS jumper. I recall that sometimes ECS ships motherboards with the jumper in the "clear" position, which will cause it to not start up.

Also, double-check the CPU to make sure that no pins are bent. I've seen instances where first-time builders install CPUs oriented wrong, which bends pins.

By "running outside the case" I mean put the motherboard on top of the cardboard box that the motherboard came in (and on the thin sheet of pink foam if it had one). Reinstall the CPU and the CPU heatsink/fan, plug in the CPU fan to the CPU fan header. Install one stick of memory (usually closest slot to the CPU except with Core i7 boards - check your manual). Hook up the power supply (24-pin and 4/8-pin. Plug power to the power supply and make sure the switch on the back is on (the | pushed down, not the O). If the case came with a little speaker, plug in the wires to the SPK pins near the CLR_CMOS jumper. Hook up a monitor to the onboard video and hook up a keyboard. Do not plug anything else into the power supply or motherboard.

See the first picture at this link. You won't be installing a video card as you have onboard video, and you won't be hooking up any extra fans or any drives.

Next, try turning it on by shorting out the power pins. On your board it is labeled F_PANEL:

o *
(*)*
(*)*

The o does not have a pin while * indicates pins. Use something metal (tip of screwdriver?) to momentarily (one second) short out the two pins I indicated with parenthesis.

Does the CPU fan keep spinning? Any beeps from the speaker?