Computer won't start, Asus Mini ITX MB

waxking1

Sep 29, 2003
My computer worked 2 nights ago. Yesterday I tried to turn it on and nothing happened. The motherboard is a Maximus VII Impact. The start button on the MB has a light on but nothing happens when pressed. I tried a different power supply with the same results.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I already hit the Bios reset but it didn't help.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
If it starts when you short the power switch pins, then your problem is with the switch or the switch wiring.

waxking1

Sep 29, 2003
The motherboard has a start button. I had tried it with the switch plugged in with no response and now I unplugged the switch and pushed the MB power and still no response.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The motherboard has a start button. I had tried it with the switch plugged in with no response and now I unplugged the switch and pushed the MB power and still no response.
Oops! You said that in the OP...

Maybe try removing cards from the board one at a time and see if one of them is causing the problem?

I take it there is no error code, either?

The symptoms are indicative of a bad power supply.

You can unplug the PS from the board and short the green and black wires/terminals with a paper clip and see if the PS turns on.

http://support.antec.com/support/so...19-is-my-power-supply-dead-the-paperclip-test

waxking1

Sep 29, 2003
With my power supply you can't tell since the fan doesn't come on under low load. Anyway I have tried another PS that I know is working and no change. Also I have a Q code display which shows no codes and doesn't even come on. The support at ASUS suggested that I remove the CMOS battery (even though I have a CMOS reset button). Also he wants me to take out the memory and Graphics card. I have been putting this off but I know I've got to do it. Very small case and everything will have to come out. Thanks for the help. The last thing was to reflash the BIOS. He says it will work with a USB but I have my doubts.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You should be connecting a 3.5" HDD (risky), or a 120mm 12V case fan (much less risky) to the PSU's leads, when testing. You have to put SOME 12V load on it, otherwise it can't regulate properly, and probably will shut down anyways.

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
Yikes, this exact same thing happened to me 2 days ago. My PC was working fine until it shuts off all of a sudden and then refuses to power back on. All the mobo LED lights turn on when connected but hitting the power button does absolutely nothing.
You can try booting with 1 stick of RAM and cycling it through the slots and clearing the CMOS is always an option (though I doubt that would work). Make sure everything is disconnected except the CPU and a stick of RAM. If all that doesn't work, you either have a dead board or a dead CPU (less likely).
I ended up RMAing my board back to newegg and waiting for my replacement at this point :(

waxking1

Sep 29, 2003
It is not the power supply. I'm pretty sure it is a dead board. I've taken the MB out of the case and tried it with memory and without(only thing connected is the CPU and CPU fans. I never even get a q-code display to come on. I guess it is possibly the CPU. The board is still under warranty and I'm going to try to get an RMA from ASUS on Monday. Thanks for the advice.