Question Computer won't restart with external drive connected

888qqq

Apr 2, 2008
I upgraded my desktop that came new with W8.1 to W10 a few days ago. My external USB 3.0 drive is a Toshiba Canvio Basics 2TB which is compatible with W10.

When I try to restart my computer with the external drive connected, I get a repeating message saying that there was some complication, and the computer won't restart. I don't remember what the message is maybe something like "Windows is experiencing a complication...........". When I disconnect the external drive, the computer will restart. After restarting I connect the external drive, my computer recognizes the drive, and the drive works fine. Thanks for any replies.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Inspect for USB setting options in the MB's BIOS.

If there's a legacy option, then enable that selection.

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
meh leaving usb ssd that doesnt have external power source can mess with some motherboards. you guys have never had this happen? ive had at least one motherboard and a few single board computers that wouldnt start up at all if I left a non powered hdd/ssd in. first time I did it i thought my computer was messed up from a power surge. second time I had forgot again cuz im dumb a lot. maybe get a external power hub and see if the same thing happens? (*if usb options aren't turned on)