Computer won't recognize all of the memory

KeyserSoze

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2000
Hello all, I can NOT figure this one out.

Machine: Dell Precision 470, running Windows XP.

All of the RAM is recognized in the BIOS, and even on the desktop once booted into windows using SiSoftware Sandra.

Memory modules are listed in SiSoftware as follows:
Bank 1 - DIMM_1 DDR 512MB/144 @ 400 MHz
Bank 2 - DIMM_2 DDR 512MB/144 @ 400 MHz
Bank 3 - DIMM_3 DDR 512MB/144 @ 400 MHz
Bank 4 - DIMM_4 DDR 512MB/144 @ 400 MHz
Bank 5 - DIMM_5 DDR 1GB/144 @ 400 MHz
Bank 6 - DIMM_6 DDR 1GB/144 @ 400 MHz

(Left out some of the brand information)

So, as you can see that is clearly 4 GB being recognized by the hardware. But when I check out the available memory on the machine using "Start--Run--'WinVer'", it shows this:
Physical memory available to Windows: 2,357,328 KB

Note, I have a NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 (512MB) that shouldn't be taking anything else away from the system.

Like I said, BIOS recognizes all the memory modules with the correct specs, and so does this program that is inside Windows.

Anything else I could check/try? My next step is to make sure I have all the updates from Dell's support site that may address any of these internal motherboard issues. Also, I have all the latest updates from Microsoft (SP3, etc...)

Thanks for any guidance you can throw my way!

KS

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Just so you are aware, 32bit Os doesn't reconize memory over 4 Gig. So, if you have 4 gig installed, it will reconize around 3.5 of it. Try removing your memory and placing the 1 gig chips in banks 1 and 2. Then fill banks 3 and 4 with the 512 meg chips. No matter what, windows 32 bit will reconize only about 3.5, but by moving your larger memory chips to the first 2 banks will probably give you a better chance to reconize more of what you have.

KeyserSoze

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Drsignguy
Just so you are aware, 32bit Os doesn't reconize memory over 4 Gig. So, if you have 4 gig installed, it will reconize around 3.5 of it. Try removing your memory and placing the 1 gig chips in banks 1 and 2. Then fill banks 3 and 4 with the 512 meg chips. No matter what, windows 32 bit will reconize only about 3.5, but by moving your larger memory chips to the first 2 banks will probably give you a better chance to reconize more of what you have.

Problem is I can only put the 1GB sticks in banks 5/6. When I do any other configuration, I get an error before booting, and it tells me to check the BIOS. When I check the BIOS, it told me some sort of error about dual channel sticks or something...but I can only put the sticks in banks 5/6. (Sorry, don't remember the exact message....and I know this is probably unhelpful....but suffice it to say that this is the only configuration I can do with the physical hardware.)

:(

Thanks for the help.

KS

SniperDaws

Aug 14, 2007
Because Banks 1 and 2 are dual booting with Bank 5, and Banks 3 and 4 are dual booting with bank 6, everything is fine mate, if you were running XP/Vista 64bit it would show up but as your using 32bit itll show anything from 2gb to 3.5gb (but secretly winxp 32bit still uses the full 4gig) so dont worry mate, you have your ram configured correctly.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: SniperDaws
Because Banks 1 and 2 are dual booting with Bank 5, and Banks 3 and 4 are dual booting with bank 6, everything is fine mate, if you were running XP/Vista 64bit it would show up but as your using 32bit itll show anything from 2gb to 3.5gb (but secretly winxp 32bit still uses the full 4gig) so dont worry mate, you have your ram configured correctly.

I was really wondering if this was the case....

KeyserSoze

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: SniperDaws

Ok, excellent!! Thanks for the info. This was driving me crazyyyyyy. I had never encountered something like this.

You're a genius. :D

KS