Question Computer wont boot into Windows

Sep 21, 2007
I have an issue that has me stumped.

The computer is an older build, Gigabyte P55, I5 quad core with SSD hard drive, 8 gigs of Gskill memory.

It started throwing automatic repair messages when booting into windows over the last few months. I kept forgetting about it as it is the kid's homework and Roblox computer and it was usually just put to sleep so the issue did not come up all that often.

The computer won't load into windows at all now. It posts just fine, I can get into the bios no problem. It begins to load the operating system, the windows logo appears and the little spinning ball of circles gets going and it just hangs, never progressing or giving an error from that point.

I have removed one stick of memory at a time to troubleshoot, removed hard drives, I have made a usb installation stick to attempt to repair, but it won't boot into that either even with all hard drives removed. It hangs at the same point not matter what configuration changes I have made. I have confirmed the usb stick will boot on a seperate computer.

Any ideas on what piece of hardward is causing the issue? I am about to just rebuild with new MB, CPU and memory as it is getting a little dated, but the computer works for its purpose at the moment so would rather not if there is something I am missing.

Thanks for any ideas you have.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Sounds like the disk is dying or corrupted. Boot from a windows or Linux USB and diskchk it to see. When in doubt format it and reinstall Windows. If it persists then replace the disk.

Reactions: pcgeek11

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
EIther the Hard disk is crapping out or the Data is corrupted. do what was posted above checking the disk and allow it to repair any errors this may or may not work, but if it doesn't you will probably need to replace the disk and reinstall.

Sep 21, 2007
Sounds like the disk is dying or corrupted. Boot from a windows or Linux USB and diskchk it to see. When in doubt format it and reinstall Windows. If it persists then replace the disk.

I have disconnected all hard drives and attempted to use a USB to reinstall, it won't load the windows install on the USB. It hangs just like it does from the SSD harddrive.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I have disconnected all hard drives and attempted to use a USB to reinstall, it won't load the windows install on the USB. It hangs just like it does from the SSD harddrive.
Then there's something else going on. Even without disks the USB should load. Time to play Operation and start disassembling things to find the cause. It could be as simple as a loose cable or catastrophic and the board died. Could start simple and clear the CMOS to see if it does anything or reflash the BIOS.