Question computer used to work like adream and now it's freezing

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
I didn't know where to post this because it kinda fits all categories :)
So my computer used to work perfectly,no stutters no nothing,until yesterday.Yesterday it completely froze while I was playing league of legends(mentioned the game so you can tell how pathetic it is to crash on such a game).The PC became completely unresponsive,after 20 minutes i managed to regain control and finally i decided to restart the computer(which took approximately half an hour).Today I did some cleaning and driver updating,I thought it got better but it just froze again,this time on CS:GO.The problem seems to be only on games or when games are running.Any ideas?If you need more troubleshooting or details please ask :)
My specs:
i5-6500
rx580 8GB
8GB RAM
128GB ssd(yes i know but i have enough space free)
1TB hdd

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Just to narrow down the possible solutions, i would first try taking out the AMD RX 580 video card. Plug into the onboard Intel HD 530 graphics and download and install the latest drivers for that iGPU. Yes you won't be able to play CS:GO at the highest settings but you can definitely play it on the Intel graphics and see if it still freezes.

Reactions: killster1

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's a good idea. I can't help but think that hard freezes, rather than black screens or reboots, may be storage-related.

If you have the funds, or a spare drive, consider swapping out your current SSD (keep it in a safe place), and swap in a fresh drive, and put on a fresh install of Win10 (I presume that you're running Win10 here), and a few of your games, and try it for a few days or a week and see if it still freezes. If it DOES, then it's a hardware problem with your set-up (since you just replaced the whole software stack with a fresh one), OR it's problem with a recent driver. If it DOES NOT, then the problem could be with your Windows Installation (old one), or the physical storage drive that it's on. A SMART scan / surface scan might give you a hint of issues.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The PC became completely unresponsive,after 20 minutes i managed to regain control and finally i decided to restart the computer(which took approximately half an hour).
If a SATA device/port is hung, it has long timeouts, and that is the sort of thing that you would see.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Can be memory or virtual memory(storage drive, essentially).

I have a use 64 GB SSD I use as a page file drive and it is unstable. Way early in my ownership, it crapped out and disappeared completely but showed back up. Then yesterday, my computer froze completely. When the pagefile was on the spinner hard drive the OS is stored on, it never freezes even if the OS slows to an utter crawl..

So, disable the page file or set it to the spinner drive if removing the GPU does not fix the issue.

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
So one thing I have noticed.This started going exactly when my amd software disappeared from the taskbar/toolbar/not sure how you call that arrow next to wifi.I'm thinking doing a clean install of the drivers by using DDU might be a good solution.Thoughts?
OH ONE THING I DIDN'T MENTION:the framerate is very high and it doesn't drop so it isn't framerate or performance,it just freezes randomly.

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
also sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it's like it's dying.Examples:i click on a link,nothing happens so i think i missclicked and leave it alone,but 1 minute later the page opens up in my browser.When i go into files and click Disk D for example,the green searching thing appears instead of immediately showing all my files.So something is definitely wrong and it's hard to believe it's the GPU but it might be playing a part in it.

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
Just to narrow down the possible solutions, i would first try taking out the AMD RX 580 video card. Plug into the onboard Intel HD 530 graphics and download and install the latest drivers for that iGPU. Yes you won't be able to play CS:GO at the highest settings but you can definitely play it on the Intel graphics and see if it still freezes.
UPDATE:alright this is definitely not about games.My PC froze even now when i clicked quote on your comment for like 5 seconds.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I mean it can't be a coincidence that my PC started freezing the same time my GPU software disappeared
No, it's not, and BOTH point to storage as the issue. Losing files, especially on an SSD, means that your storage device is screwed up. No matter what SMART says.

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
No, it's not, and BOTH point to storage as the issue. Losing files, especially on an SSD, means that your storage device is screwed up. No matter what SMART says.
alright we are definitely getting somewhere since I have been getting a lot of corrupted files on steam and I have been repairing files very often.I already defragmented my drives and all that,the scans don't show anything.So what do I do_Of course I could buy a new SSD but I don't wanna throw money like that.
Also I doubt it's normal to have like 5 versions inside my amd folder at the same time.
1582808228982.png

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
Still.This is ridiculous.I'm getting frames while typing this text!!Any ideas how I could find what's wrong specifically with my drive?
Oh my god i just right clicked a shortcut on my dekstop to delete it.My PC froze.My taskbar disappeared and the background went white.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Bad drive is corrupting your GPU files. If you have valuable files, best to save what you can now, because the gibberish-making is only going to get worse.

Since this is an SSD, recovery is gonna be helluva more expensive compared to old-school platters. Digital bits of silicon are far more temperamental than degrading magnetic steel or a crashed head.

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
Bad drive is corrupting your GPU files. If you have valuable files, best to save what you can now, because the gibberish-making is only going to get worse.

Since this is an SSD, recovery is gonna be helluva more expensive compared to old-school platters. Digital bits of silicon are far more temperamental than degrading magnetic steel or a crashed head.
My drive's been having minor issues for years i think,now that i booted my pc again it's working perfectly again so far.This is so unstable.
Still,can anyone provide a way to troubleshoot my drive(s)?

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
You don't troubleshoot a failing SSD - you replace it.

What brand and model is it? How long have you had it, and how long has it been since you updated the firmware on it?

Most of the major manufacturers provide software to manage SSDs, including updating the firmware and checking for errors. If you don't have that software installed, please do and check the SSD with it.

Last edited:

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
You don't troubleshoot a failing SSD - you replace it.

What brand and model is it? How long have you had it, and how long has it been since you updated the firmware on it?

Most of the major manufacturers provide software to manage SSDs, including updating the firmware and checking for errors. If you don't have that software installed, please do and check the SSD with it.
it is a samsung evo 710..700 something i can t remember but i don t think it matters that much.i have had it for almost 5 years.updated firmware?manually,never.automatically,god knows

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com

35tbw 3 year warranty.
As mentioned above, looks like you should move all your important stuff to a flash drive or something and buy a new ssd. 120gb SSDs are ~$30...

You could try an elevated (admin mode) command prompt chkdsk /f to repair the file system and sfc /scannow to repair some windows files, or even reinstalling windows, but if the drive's bad you'll need a new one.

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
it is a samsung evo 710..700 something i can t remember but i don t think it matters that much.i have had it for almost 5 years.updated firmware?manually,never.automatically,god knows

You don't think it matters much? My question is why should anybody here even try to help you if you can't even be bothered to take the time (nearly 60 whole seconds, gasp) to figure out what you have? You certainly aren't doing much to help yourself.

This, compadre, is your final ans...where you can pay somebody to fix it for you.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
My drive's been having minor issues for years i think
You don't think it matters much? My question is why should anybody here even try to help you if you can't be if you can't even be bothered to take the time (nearly 60 whole seconds, gasp) to figure out what you have? You certainly aren't doing much to help yourself.
Somehow I get the impression the OP isn't exactly proactive by nature.

They'll get to it..........eventually...........maybe. ;)

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Somehow I get the impression the OP isn't exactly proactive by nature.

They'll get to it..........eventually...........maybe. ;)

Yeah. Like my friend the auto mechanic says, "They call and ask me how much it will cost to replace something on their car. I ask them what kind of car they have, and they say 'its a red one'."

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
You don't think it matters much? My question is why should anybody here even try to help you if you can't even be bothered to take the time (nearly 60 whole seconds, gasp) to figure out what you have? You certainly aren't doing much to help yourself.

This, compadre, is your final ans...where you can pay somebody to fix it for you.
Why are you people so quick to judge..i wasn:t home when i posted that so there was no way to check.
Also i just ran every scan and optimization possible on my antivirus and turns out i had 2 viruses,one of them being a trojan.I will test the PC later today and I'll let you know.Would be hillarious if that virus was causing everything.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Here's one way to troubleshoot an SSD:

As someone else has already suggested, run chkdsk. Open a command prompt with admin privileges, type in:

CHKDSK C: /f /v /r

Assuming the drive letter is correct. It will want a restart, then with a 128GB SSD the full scan ought to take about 5-10 minutes. If it takes an hour I'd be worried.

When the computer restarts, right-click on the Start menu and select 'Event Viewer', then go into Windows Logs > Application

Look for an entry with the source 'wininit', and read the results. If you get read/write failures, bad clusters/sectors mentioned, the drive has problems that you won't be able to fix.

Alternatively, you can find out if Windows has been having issues talking to the SSD through the Event Viewer, but this time go into 'custom logs' and then 'administrative events'. Look for disk errors/warnings, look for ntfs errors/warnings, and maybe storahci or iaStor (maybe with another letter on the end of iaStor). Disk errors/warnings may pertain to another storage disk connected to the system, but if the content of the message refers to the relevant drive letter or Disk 0, it's talking about the disk the system boots Windows from.