Computer unable to connect because of IP address

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
So, I am having a very strange problem with a computer I borrowed from a friend.

Under Windows XP, it is saying there is limited or no connectivity, because it says it is not getting an IP address. When I go to the routers clients table it clearly shows that the computer is being assigned one. I cannot access the router's set up page from the affected computer, even when I switch it over to a static IP, with the router set as the gateway.

I have tried two different NICs, a liveCD boot of Ubuntu (it just shows the NIC's MAC address as the IP addy), a different port on the router, and power cycling the router, all with the same result. The cable/port tested good with a MacBook.

The only thing that is different in our network from when I was using this exact same set up before is that our ISP had us put in info manually (such as IP, DNS, etc.) I might try to change this back to DHCP settings, but it will probably bring the internet down for the whole network.

Never seen a problem like this, and I am at my wits end trying to figure it out. Any pointers for me? Keeping in mind I tried the most obvious stuff above.

Thanks in advance.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
With all you've done, it sounds like a hardware problem. Two NIC's. Were these tried in the same slot on the motherboard?

I had a similar situation over here. Could not get an IP with either the onboard NIC or an add-on wireless card. I had decided the motherboard was the culprit but through a post here got steered into taking a closer look at the HD and that's where the problem was.

But you booted off an Ubuntu CD, so it's got to be down to hardware. If my thinking is correct and it may not be as I've never booted off an Ubuntu CD.

Please disregard this post if it's of no value.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Sounds like one way communication. You can talk to the router, but can't receive from it. Change cables and make sure not to use home made cables.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
I initially thought it was a cable problem as well, as the cable is run through the weather and we have some pretty intense summers here in New Mexico, but the cable did test fine with a Macbook. Using a pre-made cable is not really an option as the run is almost 200 feet long.

boomerang: One NIC is onboard, and the other is an LNETX100, using the number one PCI slot. All input is greatly appreciated.

I am going to try bringing the computer into the house and try a shorter cable to completely out the longer one. I will try the LNE100TX in a different PCI slot as well.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Captain Howdy
Using a pre-made cable is not really an option as the run is almost 200 feet long.
Just don't hand-crimp any RJ45 connectors onto cables. In fact, throw away any RJ45 connectors that you have. Hand-crimped patch cables can't be counted on even if you do manage to get them to work initially.

Use RJ45 keystone jacks at both ends of your long runs. Then use factory-built patch cables between the jacks and any routers, switches, or PCs. You can get 14-foot patch cables and keystone jacks for around $2 each from Monoprice.com or SVC.com.

Dravic

May 18, 2000
may be simple, but check the date of the computer. seen funky things with acquiring dhcp addresses with mis-configured date timestamps.