computer to sony wega via dvi?

SemperFi

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2000
I just bought my new Sony yesterday. My plan was to hook my computer up to it using the dvi port on the wega via the ati radeon card in the computer. The radeon has dvi port on it so all I would need it dvi cable.

So last night I am sitting and reading the manual for the wega and I come across this: "The dvi-hdtv input terminal is compliant with the EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers."

I thought dvi was dvi and I could hook my computer up to this. I would have bought this tv anyways but the dvi port was a feature that I weighed in my decision.

Can anyone tell me If I can hook this up to my dvi port without messing up my new tv? Maybe someone out there with the Sony wega can share their experience.

Thanks

Odeen

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2000
I think the DVI port on TV's uses encryption (bad DVD pirate! Bad, bad, bad DVD pirate!).

SemperFi

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2000
I have been looking around other forums and have found that it will work. One person found he got a better picture by using a vga->componet adapter. I might try that instead of the dvi.

Anyone else have any input?