Computer Suddenly Shuts Down - Bad PSU?

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by Elfear, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Elfear

Elfear Diamond Member

My main gaming rig has been giving me fits lately. It will randomly shut off when it gets a decent load on it. And by shutdown, I mean no warning like you get with a driver issue, it just shuts right off. There is also a slight burnt smell around the computer itself.

I've been using it for bitcoin mining 24/7 for the last 6 months at 630-660W from the wall with no issue. In the past I have also done benchmarking runs with everything maxed out and the PSU had no problem handling ~950W from the wall. PSU is an Enermax 1050W Revolution.

I eased up on overclocking the videocards but I still get crashes if two or more cards have a heavy load. CPU and GPUs are watercooled so load temps are 39-40C.

I tried using BlueScreen Viewer to see what the error log said but the last crash it has recorded was back in December due to AMD drivers (pushed the overclock too much).

All signs seem to point to a PSU going bad but I thought I'd pick your collective brains before I send it in for RMA.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Computer Suddenly Shuts Forum Date
    All desktop folders suddenly displaying my entire computer Computer Help Dec 10, 2016
    suddenly computer is slow to open programs.. Computer Help Feb 11, 2016
    Computer shuts down suddenly under load Computer Help Sep 10, 2009
    my computer suddenly shuts down. Computer Help Apr 19, 2007
    Computer suddenly shut off for good... power supply maybe? Computer Help May 23, 2006

3. Smoove910

Smoove910 Golden Member

I'd say PSU... if you have onboard video, remove your videocards (to remove that electrical load) and boot it back up... then run some non-gpu related benchmarks to see if it shuts off again.

4. Elfear

Elfear Diamond Member

With only one card loaded it has no problems. I can game for hours without a shutdown but if I try and have one card mine while I game on another, system shuts off randomly.

5. Smoove910

Smoove910 Golden Member

that should tell you something there...

6. Elfear

Elfear Diamond Member

Ya, that's what I'm thinking. RMA time.