Computer still wont power on, maybe bad PSU?

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Current setup:
DFI lanparty nf4 ultra-d s939
AMD64 3000+
Antec Neo Power 480W
evga 7900gt

I am currently in the process of upgrading the cpu to a opteron 165.

I had another thread last week about my DFI Lanparty nf4 ultra-d not working. I eventually came to the conclusion that it was dead and went looking for a replacement. I found another ultra-d locally and just picked it up tonight, but the problem is still there.

Link to other thread

Here is a list of everything that has happened tonight;

-Came home, installed replacement mobo with new CPU, comp still wont turn on.

-take out new cpu, put old one back in, comp wont turn on.

-unplug ATX case wires to mobo, mobo turns on with old cpu

-try new cpu again, comp still wont turn on.

-decide to try old "broken" mobo with old cpu, and it turns on.

-try old mobo with new cpu, wont turn on.

-try both mobos with no cpu, both turn on.

so then I go back and forth for a while trying each mobo with the old cpu and with no cpu, then both keep turning on fine. But, then all of the sudden, they stop working. They wont turn on with no cpu and they wont turn on with the old cpu.

I now have both on my desk each on top of an anti static bag, I also have my PSU out of the case on the desk. I cant get either one to power on and ive tried all sorts of combinations;

-with or without cpu
-no ram
-one stick of crucial 512mb ddr-400
-one stock OCZ platinum 1gb ddr-400
-with or without vid card

I jump started the PSU with a paper clip and it does turn on, but could it just have enough life left in it to turn on its fans, but not the whole computer? How can I test m PSU to see if it is outputting the correct voltage. Ive got a volt meter, which wires do I need to test? The mobo has four power connectors on it; the big 24-pin, small square 4-pin, rectangular 4-pin (think its called molex) and small floppy connector. Do I need to test all of these?

Also, can anyone give me some ideas as to what else could be wrong or what else I should look at?

I do not get what is going on here. Up until a few days ago when I took everything appart to upgrade the CPU, everything was working fine. Ive been building computers for along time and I know what Im doing (except for that stupid chipset fan :p but that seems to have been fine anyways), I dont see how I could have damaged anything, let alone the PSU. And with these power problems with the motherboards; they turn on, then they dont, then they do, now they dont, I do not get it. Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on?

As for the motherboards not working with the new CPU; the seller did have good heat, I do not believe he woudl try and scam me, it is possible that it could have been damaged during shipping. Or it could be that my mobo BIOS does not support dual core CPUs and would need to be updated to the most recent version, not sure if this is true or not.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: zylander
Current setup:
DFI lanparty nf4 ultra-d s939
AMD64 3000+
Antec Neo Power 480W
evga 7900gt

I am currently in the process of upgrading the cpu to a opteron 165.

I had another thread last week about my DFI Lanparty nf4 ultra-d not working. I eventually came to the conclusion that it was dead and went looking for a replacement. I found another ultra-d locally and just picked it up tonight, but the problem is still there.

Link to other thread

Here is a list of everything that has happened tonight;

-Came home, installed replacement mobo with new CPU, comp still wont turn on.

-take out new cpu, put old one back in, comp wont turn on.

-unplug ATX case wires to mobo, mobo turns on with old cpu

-try new cpu again, comp still wont turn on.

-decide to try old "broken" mobo with old cpu, and it turns on.

-try old mobo with new cpu, wont turn on.

-try both mobos with no cpu, both turn on.

so then I go back and forth for a while trying each mobo with the old cpu and with no cpu, then both keep turning on fine. But, then all of the sudden, they stop working. They wont turn on with no cpu and they wont turn on with the old cpu.

I now have both on my desk each on top of an anti static bag, I also have my PSU out of the case on the desk. I cant get either one to power on and ive tried all sorts of combinations;

-with or without cpu
-no ram
-one stick of crucial 512mb ddr-400
-one stock OCZ platinum 1gb ddr-400
-with or without vid card

I jump started the PSU with a paper clip and it does turn on, but could it just have enough life left in it to turn on its fans, but not the whole computer? How can I test m PSU to see if it is outputting the correct voltage. Ive got a volt meter, which wires do I need to test? The mobo has four power connectors on it; the big 24-pin, small square 4-pin, rectangular 4-pin (think its called molex) and small floppy connector. Do I need to test all of these?

Also, can anyone give me some ideas as to what else could be wrong or what else I should look at?

I do not get what is going on here. Up until a few days ago when I took everything appart to upgrade the CPU, everything was working fine. Ive been building computers for along time and I know what Im doing (except for that stupid chipset fan :p but that seems to have been fine anyways), I dont see how I could have damaged anything, let alone the PSU. And with these power problems with the motherboards; they turn on, then they dont, then they do, now they dont, I do not get it. Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on?

As for the motherboards not working with the new CPU; the seller did have good heat, I do not believe he woudl try and scam me, it is possible that it could have been damaged during shipping. Or it could be that my mobo BIOS does not support dual core CPUs and would need to be updated to the most recent version, not sure if this is true or not.

Oh dear...

Take the motherboard OFF the anti-static mat. Never try to power one on while it is on top of one

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Ok I took it off the bad, I thought you were suppose to use that mat to prevent any shorts. The new motherboard is working fine now, the old one is not. Dont know why it was powering up last night though.

I cant get the new CPU working; Ive got everything plugged in and the mobo will power on with my old cpu in or with no cpu in, but it wont power on with the new one. I know this board can support opterons and dual cores. The guy I bought the board from had an opteron in it and Ive seen other people running dual core opterons on here. I updated the bios to the latest and it still wont work. Im guessing it was somehow damaged during shipping. The guy I bought it from had removed the IHS, but when he shipped it, he layed the ihs on top of the cpu and it was sliding around when I took it out of the package.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: zylander
Ok I took it off the bad, I thought you were suppose to use that mat to prevent any shorts. The new motherboard is working fine now, the old one is not. Dont know why it was powering up last night though.

I cant get the new CPU working; Ive got everything plugged in and the mobo will power on with my old cpu in or with no cpu in, but it wont power on with the new one. I know this board can support opterons and dual cores. The guy I bought the board from had an opteron in it and Ive seen other people running dual core opterons on here. I updated the bios to the latest and it still wont work. Im guessing it was somehow damaged during shipping. The guy I bought it from had removed the IHS, but when he shipped it, he layed the ihs on top of the cpu and it was sliding around when I took it out of the package.

It's possible(maybe unlikely thought) that you damaged it with the anti-static bag.

See, anti-static bags are anti-static because they are conductive. Powering on electronics on a conductive surface is never good :)

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Well the old motherboard is still good, hehe. Turns out I didnt damage anything when I took off the chipset heatsink, and that boards chipset runs 3 degrese cooler than the new one since I put on that AS5 :D.

That new CPU is definitely dead, I cant get it to work. Even when the motherboard was in the case it wouldnt work. Now Im up two motherboards and down one cpu :(