Computer starts but no signal to monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by AlecW, Jan 6, 2013.

1. AlecW

AlecW Junior Member

I recently built a computer (Within the past 3 weeks) and I was working perfectly up until 2 days ago. I left it on to finish a download over night and when I woke up the computer was on but the monitor was not receiving a signal. Since then I have tested both PCIe slots, both sticks of ram, disconnected the HDD, unplugged and replugged just about everything, and reset BIOs. That is when I realized that I was getting 5 short post beeps followed by a pause and then 1 sharper beep. I have done some research and this might mean a processor failure but I am hesitant to take it out. Can someone help me solve this problem?
    CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    Memory Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card
    Power Supply XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V
    Optical Drive Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer
    Monitor Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor

If I do end up having to take out my processor will I have to reapply thermal paste? If my processor is dead what are the chances it is covered by a warranty? Can someone help me solve this problem?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Computer starts signal Forum Date
    Computer won't start after installing new PSU and GPU. Computer Help May 3, 2016
    Computer shut down and won't start Computer Help Jan 12, 2016
    New video card, computer dies when game starts. Computer Help Dec 25, 2015
    Started computer build last night..some issues... Computer Help Jul 16, 2015
    Program named 1433978100 wants to set itself to start when computer starts Computer Help Jun 10, 2015

3. Ketchup

Ketchup Elite Member

Thermal paste is for one application only. So you will need to re-apply. Do you know what your normal/max temps were like before this issue occurred?

4. AlecW

AlecW Junior Member

I don't know the temps before this happened but the computer never seemed to be hot.

5. Steltek

Steltek Golden Member

FYI, the first thing you should always do after you get a build up and running is to check the processor temps. Most motherboards include monitoring software, or you can also install SpeedFan or HWMonitor to do this as well.

However, I don't think you have a bad processor. The AMI UEFI BIOS beep codes for your motherboard are different than the old BIOS AMI beep codes were. Five short beeps on an AMI UEFI BIOS means you have a VGA problem. If you had a bad CPU, you wouldn't be getting any beeps at all. I think the sharp beep at the end is single beep you normally get at the end of the POST process.

Do you happen to have another video card you can try on your system before you go tearing the processor out?

#4 Steltek, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. AlecW

AlecW Junior Member

Well as soon as I fix my computer I will take the temps, thanks. And thank you for telling me its my VGA. I will try to see if I can borrow another video card from a friend but I doubt it. I really don't know what I should do.

7. Ketchup

Ketchup Elite Member

Where are you? You may be able to find a friend here in the forums.

8. Steltek

Steltek Golden Member

Unfortunately, you are kind of at the point where you can't do anything else short of a physical swap. You could RMA card, but that will leave you no knowing if that was the problem until you receive the replacement.

9. AlecW

AlecW Junior Member

I have some friends at school I'm going to ask first but maybe if they don't someone here could help out

10. Big Roger

Big Roger Member

Sounds more likely to be RAM, as you've said you've tested it, have you actually tried each stick in each slot?

11. AlecW

AlecW Junior Member

No, I have tried each stick in the first slot. Should(do I have to try) I try each slot? could that really make a difference?

12. Ketchup

Ketchup Elite Member

A different reaction to having the sticks in different slots would indicate an problem with the motherboard, which would point to the cause of your problems.

13. AlecW

AlecW Junior Member

After reading some reviews of my motherboard and hearing similar complaints I think I am going to RMA it. Thank you for all the help(I hope this works).

14. Ketchup

Ketchup Elite Member

We hope it does as well. Are you going to RMA for something different?

15. AlecW

AlecW Junior Member

I'm not sure, I was thinking about it but I'm not sure what I would get in its place.

16. Big Roger

Big Roger Member

Do what I said anyway, it'll give them more reason to accept your RMA and give you money or an alternative board.

17. AlecW

AlecW Junior Member

Will do.