Computer/Software Engineers

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
So ATM, I'm a physics major and about to graduate. I have plans to do physics or computer engineering for grad school. I was thinking about taking 1-2 years of grad school for a Masters in Computer Engineering and getting a job ASAP as a software engineer or something in that area.

But how does the job market look for software engineers? I read that it was one of the fastest growing jobs out there. Does that mean there's a bunch of other people doing it and/or there's lots of companies that want a software engineer?

I could continue doing physics and research in grad school but I rather be making money ASAP.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Physics would open you up to almost any line of engineering.
Computer Engineering might pigeon hole you into IT work / software. Old school engineers might discriminate and put you into a "Coder" category.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: edro
Physics would open you up to almost any line of engineering.
Computer Engineering might pigeon hole you into IT work / software. Old school engineers might discriminate and put you into a "Coder" category.

Not necessarily, I would suggest trying to work in the physics angle. For example, my research group does computational electromagnetics and we just brought in a physics post doc. We also only have one CS student in the group and I believe I'm the only Comp E there too, the rest are EE's. But since the research is an almagamtion of physics, computer science, and mathematics, everyone brings something different to the table. But all the graduates from our group that I have talked to are certainly not pigeonholed into IT, you don't do that with doctors. A lot of them are project managers or researchers.