computer simply locked up

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
why would that have happened? i was on facebook using firefox and then my computer locked up all of a sudden. i had to turn it off via the power button but it has been fine since i turned it back on 15 minutes ago and there was no message from windows saying a "serious error has occurred".

could it have been that the CPU fan stopped spinning for a few seconds? nothing was oc'd and turbo was disabled. i have been using the 337.50 drivers since the day after they were released.

anyone else ever had this issue before? if so, then what caused it?

cheap5.0

Jan 9, 2010
why would that have happened? i was on facebook using firefox and then my computer locked up all of a sudden. i had to turn it off via the power button but it has been fine since i turned it back on 15 minutes ago and there was no message from windows saying a "serious error has occurred".

could it have been that the CPU fan stopped spinning for a few seconds? nothing was oc'd and turbo was disabled. i have been using the 337.50 drivers since the day after they were released.

The CPU fan would have to crap out for longer than a few seconds to cause a lock up.

You know how to get into event viewer? I would jump in there and see if you see any thing/post anything you think is odd here.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
The CPU fan would have to crap out for longer than a few seconds to cause a lock up. You know how to get into event viewer? I would jump in there and see if you see any thing/post anything you think is odd here.
thank you:) i checked windows event viewer and there was nothing odd there other than the critical error (kernel-power) saying the system rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. that doesnt tell me anything unfortunately.

phis6

Apr 1, 2014

Well, I'll just leave it that the story might have happen like this:
firefox might have been thinking something deep of what it saw in facebook but couldn't figure it out what it was and tried to use much of the computers brain power :) Then it suddenly stop right there.:rolleyes:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Flash? Do you have the latest?
thank you:) anyway, yes i have the latest flash version. it has crashed several times since i have had it, but it let me restart it. could it have caused a hard hang? does 337.50 have issues with it or something?

my mouse cursor stuttered twice, then it completely froze.

phis6

Apr 1, 2014
You may try running System File Checker in elevated CMD mode: sfc /scannow

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Ever see a blue screen?

Freezes without an error, at least once, point to hardware. Without knowing anything about your hardware, I really couldn't give you more than a guess at this point.

Drummerdude

Mar 14, 2014
There's several things that could cause a lockup. Psu, memory, overheating ( less likely ), bad sectors, etc. I'd check the psu last. Memtest86 would be my first course, then run a chkdsk /r on your hdd. From there, with the computer off, see if you can freely spin your cpu fan without it stopping the second you take your finger off it. Then, visually inspect your motherboard for any bulged/bulging/blown capacitors.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Ok, I'll ask directly - what are the specs of your system (ie. CPU,memory,motherboard,power supply - including age, memory, hard drive and/or SSD, video card, etc)? Are you running any type of monitoring software like Speedfan or HWMonitor? If not, I'd recommend that you install something.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Ever see a blue screen? Freezes without an error, at least once, point to hardware. Without knowing anything about your hardware, I really couldn't give you more than a guess at this point.
2500k, sabertooth p67 b3 with sunon maglev bearing 5.5krpm fan, gskillripjaws (2x4GB) @ 9-9-9-24-1t 1.333Ghz, evga 780gtx, antec sig 650, logisys icpwm231 theta 31 (cpu), panaflo 120mm U1A rear exhaust, WD black 500 GB, WD RE4 1TB, WD 320 GB, Optiarc DVD R/RW drive. i run hardware info64. no blue screens. thankyou:)
There's several things that could cause a lockup. Psu, memory, overheating ( less likely ), bad sectors, etc. I'd check the psu last. Memtest86 would be my first course, then run a chkdsk /r on your hdd. From there, with the computer off, see if you can freely spin your cpu fan without it stopping the second you take your finger off it. Then, visually inspect your motherboard for any bulged/bulging/blown capacitors.
okay thanks:)
Ok, I'll ask directly - what are the specs of your system (ie. CPU,memory,motherboard,power supply - including age, memory, hard drive and/or SSD, video card, etc)? Are you running any type of monitoring software like Speedfan or HWMonitor? If not, I'd recommend that you install something.
my 320GB HDD is about 7 years old although it hasnt been used for 7 years. i got my signature 650 in early 09, got my 500GB black in 2010; had my mb and CPU since late 2011; evga 780 last november. see above for additional details thank you:)