Computer shuts down at welcome screen

t3chb0y

Nov 11, 2007
The computer was reformatted with both XP and Windows 7, so it's a clean slate. The computer shuts down every time it loads into the welcome screen.

Things that I have tried:
1) Replacing the power supply
2) Reformatting as mentioned above
3) Memtest 86+ with no errors
4) Checkdisk when the computer was actually working for the short time it worked after replacing the power supply and then having the problem reappear a day later - Checkdisk reported no errors

What could be the culprit here?

System:
AMD X2 4200+ Windsor 65W EE
2GB Rendition/Crucial DDR2 667 RAM
250GB Hitachi Hard Drive
ECS Geforce6100SM-M Motherboard
350W Power Supply

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Which OS are you booting to? In any case, use SAFE MODE and it will show you the file that it hangs up on. The culprit is most likely a corrupted or unlocatable file being called by the Registry. With a clean slate, I would be inclined to reinstall the OS of choice, but not both. These days, 350 is somewhat of a wimpy PSU.

If it will boot and load in Safe Mode, then you can enter MSCONFIG and uncheck all but essential things that run in background. Then yopu can try a normal boot, and that might isolate the culprit file or driver.

Last edited:

t3chb0y

Nov 11, 2007
Safe mode shuts down and I installed the OSs in the order of
Clean HD , XP , Format HD Clean , 7

Sadly they both still crash.

There weren't any bad caps near the CPU when I checked. 350W is enough for a minimal office PC, I'd think.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
"OS's?" Stick to one OS and see if you can get it working. The use of XP baffles me.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
Just curious, is this a brand new build, or was it working fine until you installed 7 on it?

t3chb0y

Nov 11, 2007
Just curious, is this a brand new build, or was it working fine until you installed 7 on it?

It was already crashing so I reformatted it with XP at first. Didn't help so I wiped the hard drive clean again and put Windows 7. That didn't seem to help either.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Have you tried setting the BIOS to basic defaults? If it gets to the Welcome screen, you are in the final stage of loading drivers. Apparently one of them is a problem.

Can you boot to a bootable optical disk?

t3chb0y

Nov 11, 2007
Have you tried setting the BIOS to basic defaults? If it gets to the Welcome screen, you are in the final stage of loading drivers. Apparently one of them is a problem.

Can you boot to a bootable optical disk?

BIOS is already set to default. I can boot and install Windows but running it is the problem.